British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 60

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 4:59 PM GMT

Whoever pays. Or looks like they might.

What have you had on then? Sketches, sitcoms?

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 4:56 PM GMT

Writer. Of comedy.

Marc P writes jokes, too. He's very talented. Check this one out...

Can't wait for the outtakes!

Quote: Marc P @ November 21 2009, 9:42 AM GMT

He's delivering Pizzas you say???

oh outtakes not take outs.

Errr

Quote: don rushmore @ December 10 2009, 5:05 PM GMT

Marc P writes jokes, too. He's very talented. Check this one out...

Yeah that was a good one! :)

2ChristianTypists,

Why not get the debate back on topic by posting your full curriculum vitae before expressing another opinion?

I know it's a lot to ask but you might as well post it all at once rather than have it extracted from you line by line.

I find it a bit sinsiter, in a stalky way, when people drag old quotes out like that!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 10 2009, 5:29 PM GMT

I find it a bit sinsiter, in a stalky way, when people drag old quotes out like that!

Hardly an 'old quote'; it's from late last month. Rolling eyes

Quote: nitty gritty @ December 10 2009, 5:27 PM GMT

2ChristianTypists,

Why not get the debate back on topic by posting your full curriculum vitae before expressing another opinion?

I know it's a lot to ask but you might as well post it all at once rather than have it extracted from you line by line.

I was merely responding to a question or two.

Sorry - my mistake. It seems there is an etiquette on these boards, no? I didn't realise contributors were not able to express a view without waving their CV's in the air. Nor did I realise that me posting anything of that ilk would get this particular topic back on any track.

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 12:02 PM GMT

Whilst I have not been privy to all the ins and outs of this thread's recent activity... I would say that criticism and the learning to take it is as vital a skill for a comedy writer as making people laugh.

If people have been criticised and had their egos bashed by comments against their work then I would suggest they look at their own attitudes to what they don't like.

Far too many wannabee comedy writers sit and moan about other people's efforts (usually the material that is broadcast) and cannot differentiate between something they don't like and something they are being petty over because it was chosen to be staged, recorded or broadcast.

Feedback, criticism, opinions and conflicts of agenda are VERY common place when getting work actually commissioned and produced. People can sit about chipping in on writing forums til the cows get the last train home, but until they have actually had work produced and experience the challenges of getting comedy broadcast they need to be less precious about criticisms.

So what - someone said your work was "not very strong" or worse. Get over it. If its anyone with a comedy CV of note they will normally be somewhat correct. But the writer's job is to learn from it, develop and move on.

You do not achieve that by harping on back and forth about whether its right to criticise to whatever extent.

I have had work staged by Kev F Sutherland (not under the Trials banner). I saw immediately how hard it is for a small ensemble with (I imagine) scant funds to pull off a staged rendering of someone else's comedy writing, but they did it competently and professionally. I do not think it is fair to lambast Mr Sutherland and the Comedy Trials when - let's face it - it is the only chance a lot of writers will ever get to expose their work.

And people really need to get a thicker skin if they want their comedy writing to reach the people. Petty knee-jerk reactions is not the behaviour of writers that get paid to write comedy.

Well said, I totally agree.
[Is your name associated with baa baa]
[mine's associated with throwing balls in the air :D ]

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 5:52 PM GMT

I didn't realise contributors were not able to express a view without waving their CV's in the air. Nor did I realise that me posting anything of that ilk would get this particular topic back on any track.

I was trying to be satirical but you have taken my words at face value.

Please return them immediately for a refund.

You may continue to debate as you see fit.

Quote: bushbaby @ December 10 2009, 6:11 PM GMT

Well said, I totally agree.
Is your name associated with baa baa
mine's associated with throwing balls in the air :D

You've lost me. But no. I don't think so.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 6:31 PM GMT

Firstly, don't end your sentences with ",no?" unless you really are Nathan Barley.

No. Not Mr Barley.

Quote: Die Hard @ December 10 2009, 4:36 PM GMT

Hi Badge btw
Wave

Hi Die Hard
Wave
Looking forward to seeing the Gazette in all its glory at some stage!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 10 2009, 1:33 PM GMT

Did that happen this time?

Both those things (under-rehearsed and script in hand) happened in the heat I saw, although not in the the same sitcom. I must say that prior to this I wasn't aware the script in hand thing was allowed (I though they had to be staged) and a couple of the under-rehearsed ones might have benefitted from that, as actors were clearly struggling with remembering their lines.

Quote: Marc P @ December 10 2009, 4:57 PM GMT

Sitcom, sketches, BBC Commissioning guidleines???

Big Top?

Quote: Ponderer @ December 11 2009, 12:23 PM GMT

Both those things (under-rehearsed and script in hand) happened in the heat I saw, although not in the the same sitcom. I must say that prior to this I wasn't aware the script in hand thing was allowed (I though they had to be staged) and a couple of the under-rehearsed ones might have benefitted from that, as actors were clearly struggling with remembering their lines.

Big Top?

Did that not ruin the comedy timing?

I was the writer that had her sitcom (Future Proof) performed "script in hand". The script was originally written with no massive visuals in mind. Didn't think there'd be much ease in props, set etc.

I wasn't expecting it to be read out the way it was but I was absolutely delighted with the guys, sketch group Kiosk of Champions, who ended up performing it. The radio style thing felt more like them having prompts than blind reading. I've seen Richard Sandling do stuff in Edinburgh for the last 4 years or so and I knew he'd be perfect casting. Stuart Goldsmith and he have such a natural rapport, and I think the whole thing came off rather well. Obviously no match for End to End, but I don't mind being beaten by a director and writing team who work in comedy/TV/the Fringe, and this being my debut foray into writing comedy. :)

I think it's fine to Kev to post what he wants about the shows now it's over. As he said, it had little bearing on what went through, and he's entitled to express an opinion. I'd be happy to hear feedback from anyone who saw mine.

Griff, I'm not aware of anyone being directly approached as a result of these things, but if they were I guess they might keep it under their hat. Commissions are notoriously fragile and getting a talking relationship going with a producer might be just the beginning of a longer term thing. I certainly believe the Sitcom Trials have opened lots of doors for me, and even if it's just a credit to add to my resume it was still a lot of fun.

Great chance to network, met loads of people (comedians, writers, performers), got lots of people I already know in the industry to recognise I am trying to write and that someone else has taken a chance on my work (and that it got approval enough to make it to the final).

Doesn't the BBC College of Comedy dictate you need to have written something that has been performed as well? In which case I can now apply for that if it runs this year.