British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 27

Quote: Martin H @ December 9 2009, 11:57 AM GMT

It's more of a physical gag though. But I can maybe re-work it.

All you need is a roller skate, a broom handle or curtain pole, a ziplock baggy half filled with water, a length of aquarium hose and some bandage/surgical tape...

Where do I apply for my blue peter badge?

Quote: swerytd @ December 9 2009, 11:41 AM GMT

I don't think they mind the format, as long as it's readable. I certainly wouldn't write it in yellow crayon on parchment.

Well of course not... I'd have to fax that and they haven't supplied a fax number *DUH*

Quote: Kev F @ December 9 2009, 11:53 AM GMT

Only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about.

Ah, a fellow Katie Price Syndrome sufferer...

Dan

Another quick question...

Would it be possible to have the lights down at the very start of the first scene? So that the stage is dark and you can't see the actors?

If you wanted to do something in voice over, with the stage in pitch blackness, that wouldn't be a problem, although there could be light coming from the auditorium (EXIT signs etc) which would 'leak' onto stage.

Were your actors going to be speaking or were you having a voice over?

Quote: Declan @ December 10 2009, 3:53 PM GMT

If you wanted to do something in voice over, with the stage in pitch blackness, that wouldn't be a problem, although there could be light coming from the auditorium (EXIT signs etc) which would 'leak' onto stage.

Were your actors going to be speaking or were you having a voice over?

The actors, well one actor, would be speaking. It doesn't need to be pitch blackness, but just so you can't quite make out what he is doing. It's just a short bit of dialogue and then the lights would come on.

Thanks. :)

Hmmm, if it's basing the whole gag on not being able to see what's going on, it might be better to rewrite it. It's not natural for the characters to be in pitch blackness one minute and the lights to come on the next, unless that's actually part of the scene:

DR GITFACE: I wish they'd sort out the electrics around here.

NURSE BUXOM: Ooh, you can sort out my electrics any day, doctor.

DR GITFACE: If I just fiddle with this knob it should get things going.

LIGHTS GO ON.

Etc.

And you can see that sketch as part of the new series of Coming Of Age next year.

LIGHTS GO ON.

A NAKED NURSE IS HOLDING DR GITFACE'S PENIS

SEVEN NUNS WALK ON, AND ONE WRITER WITH NO LEFT ARM.

Etc.

Dan

NURSE NAKED: Ooh, what a filthy habit you've got.

MOTHER SUPERIOR: Yes, I haven't washed it for ages.

MOTHER INFERIOR: Shut up, bitch.

Etc...

MOTHER MEDIOCRE:
It wears the soap. Get it? It *wears* the soap? Like, wears it down? Geddit? Wears down like, you know, soap gets smaller over time...

Etc...

Yeah, one had a stroke and the other couldn't reach.

Any more for any more?

My first post - hello all Wave. I applied cos it looked like a great exercise if nothing else. Obviously now I expect to win! :) Wish I had found out about this in time for the workshop. I really need to learn and stop just sitting in my head. I will def try to make any future workshops, regardless of the outcome - and probably because of it.

Quote: Declan @ December 10 2009, 4:14 PM GMT

Hmmm, if it's basing the whole gag on not being able to see what's going on, it might be better to rewrite it. It's not natural for the characters to be in pitch blackness one minute and the lights to come on the next, unless that's actually part of the scene:

Hmm. Ok then, how about this. Could you have the actor speaking off stage? As if he is in another room to the character that will be on stage.

Martin, why don't you put the scene up on Critique and we can all have a good look at it?

And Mark, hi. Thanks for your interest. We've got some new workshops in the New Year which might be of interest:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Quote: Declan @ December 10 2009, 5:46 PM GMT

Martin, why don't you put the scene up on Critique and we can all have a good look at it?

And Mark, hi. Thanks for your interest. We've got some new workshops in the New Year which might be of interest:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

I'm there!

Quote: Declan @ December 10 2009, 5:46 PM GMT

I've PM'd you the scene. :)