British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 59

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 12:12 PM GMT

But comedy writers need to get their work "out there". And in doing so they will get caught in the critical crossfire - whether it is public or not. It's a bit odd that writers who want their work to be seen and heard are only wanting private criticism.

But what purpose does public criticism serve? It doesn't seem like good promotion. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 10 2009, 12:14 PM GMT

But what purpose does public criticism serve? It doesn't seem like good promotion. :)

"Public criticism"? What about the very public scorn from this website poured on the recent likes of BIG TOP? Where is the "purpose" there when it usually involves not very funny forum members bandying not very funny and dated innuendo and lazy digs back and forth? As I said before - people need to get thick skins in this industry.

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 12:20 PM GMT

"Public criticism"? What about the very public scorn from this website poured on the recent likes of BIG TOP? Where is the "purpose" there when it usually involves not very funny forum members bandying not very funny and dated innuendo and lazy digs back and forth? As I said before - people need to get thick skins in this industry.

That's a professional production and people were criticising and reviewing the show as viewers, which is a completely different thing. Most of the people posting on that thread are not even interested in comedy writing, but are comedy fans.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 12:17 PM GMT

Dear 2ChristianTypists

You only ever seem to appear on this forum to tell us off.

And most posters seem only to come on here to tell each other off in a comedy style that is neither stylish or comedic. But that is only MY opinion.

I have no interest in telling anyone "off". I am merely providing a counterpoint of debate, based on my experience.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 10 2009, 12:23 PM GMT

That's a professional production and people were criticising and reviewing the show as viewers, which is a completely different thing. Most of the people posting on that thread are not even interested in comedy writing, but are comedy fans.

I am really not trying to nitpick with you - and I appreciate the debate... but .... ALL comedy writing that receives criticism at any level is because it has been looked at from the perspective of the "viewers". And I imagine that was what Mr Sutherland was doing when he made comments about the work in question.

Dear More interestingly, still nobody has answered the question about whether writers have benefited from Kev's Trials this time round.

Fair point. And one I have pondered myself.

Quote: Father Christmas @ December 7 2009, 7:49 PM GMT

Kev F has committed the grievous sin of knowing more about comedy than most people on this board.

Furthermore, he has committed the capital crime of failing to flatter a BCG member in good standing.

He is therefore immediately to be vilified by all.

Come on. You all know the drill.

Give that man a boxset.

More interestingly, still nobody has answered the question about whether writers have benefited from Kev's Trials this time round.

Were there any big suits from the prodcos in attendence at any of the shows?

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 12:41 PM GMT

seeing some sitcoms performed under-rehearsed or script-in-hand.

Did that happen this time?

Speaking for the one heat I went to the performances were generally good and there was not a hint of script in hand. The winning scripts seemed well rehearsed as well as being well performed.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 12:41 PM GMT

" scripts may not have been strong enough this time round to merit their attention, or alternatively seeing some sitcoms performed under-rehearsed or script-in-hand didn't particularly excite them, who knows.

I went to the first semi-final and found all 5 funny IMHO but then it was a semi-final. I liked 3 a lot - including one that was performed as a radio sitcom where the actors read from scripts.

One thing that was noticeable to me at least, was the difference between those performed by writers/directors/established teams of performers, and those not - which did appear slightly under-rehearsed.

Back to the earlier point about the format of the Trials, as an audience member I found it frustrating that I only got to see the end of the room's favourite sitcom, and not the one I voted for - which went on to win! Also, as the pay-off was only short it didn't feel worth it – or maybe that was just the one I saw.

That's my two pennies worth anyway. Hi Badge btw
Wave

Quote: Die Hard @ December 10 2009, 4:36 PM GMT

I went to the first semi-final and found all 5 funny IMHO but then it was a semi-final. I liked 3 a lot - including one that was performed as a radio sitcom where the actors read from scripts.

I didn't know radio sitcoms were eligable to enter. That's good to know.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 4:44 PM GMT

If the "script in hand" approach was done deliberately to create a radio sitcom feel, with the writer's buy-in, then that's all good.

To be fair, most professional read-throughs, rehearsals, on-set rehearsals and shooting days are very script heavy. If your actors are good you shouldn't really notice.

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 4:50 PM GMT

To be fair, most professional read-throughs, rehearsals, on-set rehearsals and shooting days are very script heavy. If your actors are good you shouldn't really notice.

Agreed. But this was a showcase to the paying public. :)

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 4:50 PM GMT

What do you do in the industry?

Quote: Marc P @ December 10 2009, 4:52 PM GMT

What do you do in the industry?

Writer. Of comedy.

Quote: 2ChristianTypists @ December 10 2009, 4:56 PM GMT

Writer. Of comedy.

Sitcom, sketches, BBC Commissioning guidleines???

Quote: Marc P @ December 10 2009, 4:57 PM GMT

Sitcom, sketches, BBC Commissioning guidleines???

Whoever pays. Or looks like they might.