British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 26

Quote: Martin H @ December 8 2009, 8:35 PM GMT

Is there a restriction on how many scenes/locations you can have for this comp? Obviously, the 'sets' are going to be very limited from what I understand, so is there any real point having say three scenes that are set in different locations?

I hadn't even considered entering this because I find it very difficult to write for stage, but I've got a sitcom script that I think I can adapt for this competition. But it would really need three different settings; a kitchen (that should be fairly easy to portray - just need a table, chairs and a couple of coffee mugs); a hospital room (a bit more difficult); and a church (extremely difficult - although I guess just having the character dressed as a Priest/Nun would get the location across).

you don't need any sets, the audience have a fab imagination

Quote: bushbaby @ December 8 2009, 9:56 PM GMT

you don't need any sets, the audience have a fab imagination

Cool. They can imagine all the jokes in my script if it makes it to the heats.

Quote: Declan @ December 8 2009, 8:40 PM GMT

Hi Martin

You've really answered your own question.

But what do you need to portray a hospital room? And can you put it in the dialogue? Also, actors can mime really well and the audience don't mind a bit.

Cheers, Declan

The main gag in the hospital revolves around a morphine drip. How would you suggest portraying that? Actors miming it? Or just finding a prop that resembles one?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Quote: Martin H @ December 8 2009, 10:49 PM GMT

The main gag in the hospital revolves around a morphine drip. How would you suggest portraying that? Actors miming it? Or just finding a prop that resembles one?

I know they've used smallish essential props in the past. One writer provided their own (home-made) ones.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 8 2009, 10:54 PM GMT

I know they've used smallish essential props in the past. One writer provided their own (home-made) ones.

Cool. Well my Mum's a nurse so I'm sure I could 'acquire' one. I'm not sure how ethical it is though to steal morphine drips from hospitals in order to use it as a prop in a live sitcom. :D

Die Hard has a whole suitcase full of scifi props required for their script :)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 8 2009, 9:57 PM GMT

Cool. They can imagine all the jokes in my script if it makes it to the heats.

Nice Laughing out loud

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 8 2009, 10:54 PM GMT

Yeah for my sitcom in 2007 I had to scrounge around on Freecycle for things like white lab coats etc.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 8 2009, 11:02 PM GMT

Die Hard has a whole suitcase full of scifi props required for their script :)

Hey, it was a very small suitcase and it was not full of props, it also contained a great many snacks. Angry Wave

...you are merely jealous of my expertly laminated 'Space Ark Gazette'

Quote: Martin H @ December 8 2009, 10:49 PM GMT

you just have to put a line in that refers to the drip and the audience will get it......we're not thick :)

Morning...

Have had a read through the Rules and Guidelines etc but can't find any reference to what format ie .doc .pdf .another they will except emailed scripts in...

anyone know...

or care....

kjs

I don't think they mind the format, as long as it's readable. I certainly wouldn't write it in yellow crayon on parchment.

Dan

What Dan said.

Quote: bluer than blue @ December 9 2009, 10:33 AM GMT

Is it just me, or has anyone else found the forum for the SITCOM TRIALS over the last couple of days, more entertaining than the sitcoms they presented?

Only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about.

Quote: bushbaby @ December 9 2009, 1:36 AM GMT

you just have to put a line in that refers to the drip and the audience will get it......we're not thick :)

It's more of a physical gag though. But I can maybe re-work it.