British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Saturday! Page 6

Quote: easily distracted writer @ November 23 2009, 4:15 PM GMT

I've reserved a ticket for this - any other folks going?

Just me by the looks of it. :) And John of course. First on eh? :)

But it sounds like they're nearly at full capacity there which is good.

Rehearsals for mine went well yesterday so I'm looking foward to it until the nerves kick in about 5.30 tomorrow.

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ December 4 2009, 9:42 PM GMT

Rehearsals for mine went well yesterday so I'm looking foward to it until the nerves kick in about 5.30 tomorrow.

Jx

That's brilliant Jane, have a fab evening

Good luck Jane.

Jx

Good luck Jane - unfortunately I won't be able to be there now. :(

Thanks everyone. :)

Sorry you can't make it Dolly. :(

I'll let you know how it goes - I'm looking forward to seeing the others too. As it's not a competition as such it will hopefully feel quite relaxed and supportive generally.

Unless no-one laughs of course. Huh?

Quote: Jane P @ December 4 2009, 11:10 PM GMT

Thanks everyone. :)

Sorry you can't make it Dolly. :(

I'll let you know how it goes - I'm looking forward to seeing the others too. As it's not a competition as such it will hopefully feel quite relaxed and supportive generally.

Unless no-one laughs of course. Huh?

They say if it makes the writer laugh, at least 10% of the audience laugh too

Good luck, JP. Sorry I can't be there, but I'm sticking with the ballet excuse...

;)

Dan

Hope all goes well for Jane P and Johnny D! And good luck to Goltnutmeg and fellow organisers. Wishing you many laughs.

See you later, Jane.

I'm on first, then? At least I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the show!

I wonder how Jane and Johnny are going on

It went well thanks.

I particularly enjoyed Johnny D's script and the Radio one.

The acting was to a high standard throughout which was great - especially given we all had the same limited rehearsal time - ie one last week and one on the day. Athough it was script in hand that didn't detract too much. The performers seemed to enjoy it.

I was really pleased with my cast and director - great fun to work with and they brought out all of the relationships to the best effect. I would make a lot of changes now as a result of seeing it rehearsed and performed which is really useful.

The audience seemed to enjoy it all - and it was oversubscribed by the look of it.

Well done to the organisers. You can have a rest now until the next one. :)

Jx

Glad you enjoyed Jane, was it a good learning curve? Did they laugh where you expected them to do?

Quote: bushbaby @ December 6 2009, 6:45 PM GMT

Glad you enjoyed Jane, was it a good learning curve? Did they laugh where you expected them to do?

Definitely a good learning curve - one I'd recommend. But I don't think I'll ever be able to predict an audience too much. I had a couple of jokes I nearly cut as I thought they were a bit lame but they got laughs and other bits where I was pleased with myself for being 'clever' didn't! I have noticed that in a 'live' environment though that sometimes the more understated stuff which I actually prefer, gets less of a vocal reaction. Doesn't mean people aren't enjoying it (and I'm thinking of others here too, not just deluding myself :) )

But mine got enough positive reactions for me to be able to relax and enjoy it.

We'd also added a couple of phsyical moments in rehearsals which weren't scripted but are a good source of, in a way, easy, laughs! But they also bring a script to life which is cool.

So much to learn, so little time...

Jx

I must say I was impressed by the standard of scripts at this event. Lots of laughs.

From a writing point of view, it was helpful to see what worked and what didn't. I have a renewed sense that casting makes a massive difference, and the ones I enjoyed most had the most memorable characters.

Might be worth a bigger venue next time? Or a couple of showings? But well done to the organisers, and the writers.

Hi,:D

So pleased you had a good SitSat experience Jane - what you've said is everything we've wanted it to be!

And so glad you were there easily distracted writer! One of the "USPs" of SitSat is that we ask every director, as far as is possible, to cast actors they've never worked with before. So we put out an open casting call, provide time and a room for casting as well as rehearsal space. Yes, so obviously we do think casting is important and how the director understands the script and gives direction to the actors, equally so.

But in the end, without the script, there isn't a performance and as you rightly say memorable characters are key which both Jane and John created. We loved our six sitcoms - each a very different type of sitcom. In fact, we had various members of the audience coming up to us and saying how they liked a particular sitcom. And they all picked different sitcoms!

Well done John and Jane for writing the scripts in the first place - and your directors and casts for giving tremendous performances in front of a packed house!:)

For photos of the event see our photo gallery at http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk

Put A Smile On Your Face With Sitcom Saturday! :)