British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 24

Quote: Declan @ December 2 2009, 11:25 PM GMT

Hi BB

We limit each day to ten people. Or did you mean how many BCGers?

Cheers, Declan

:D just how many attend

Did you go for the feedback entry, Mikey?

No. I did a Scrooge and opted for the free entry.

Quote: bushbaby @ December 2 2009, 11:22 PM GMT

How many attend these workshops?

10 writers, 6 actors (3m and 3f) and us.

Who are the actors Simon? Will it be a rep cast who will do the performances as well of the ones chosen?

Quote: Marc P @ December 3 2009, 9:57 AM GMT

Who are the actors Simon? Will it be a rep cast who will do the performances as well of the ones chosen?

We get the actors either through Casting Call Pro because we can see their showreels online or through recommendation. There are a couple of actresses who've been to workshops who have turned into unofficial Casting Directors for us. Kate and Anna you know who you are.

We use the workshops to audition the actors. We get to see them interact with each other (unlike an audition piece) and see how they handle various roles. If someone is particularly right for a part there have been times when a writer carries on writing with her/him in mind. It helps to have someone personify your character.

One writer had written something about a celebrity chef. The actor who read for it was broad Geordie. It lifted the performance into another area and now she's writing a Geordie celebrity chef.

We'd love the good actors who've auditioned for us to play the same roles onstage.

How do you feel about writers who also act, playing one of their own roles? Whistling nnocently

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 3 2009, 11:06 AM GMT

How do you feel about writers who also act, playing one of their own roles? Whistling nnocently

Don't do it, Dolly. Lesley Joseph needs the work. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ December 3 2009, 11:56 AM GMT

Don't do it, Dolly. Lesley Joseph needs the work. ;)

Lesley Joseph is pretty good. I admire anyone over 40 who still wears mini skirts. :)

Hi Dolly

As far as what goes up on the stage is concerned, we're fine about it. We do, however, hold final cut as to what goes on stage, and if the writer isn't the most suitable person available for the part (or can't act) then we'll ask the director to recast.

If it's a dealbreaker that the writer plays one of the characters (the lead, for example), then it's a choice that writer/performer would then need to make.

:)

I think Dolly would be good for the mild mannered character in a wooly hat and glasses in my script Declan.

There's a character in mine in a French maids dress. She could try that if she's interested.

I have my own costumes. Cool

Quote: chipolata @ December 3 2009, 12:05 PM GMT

There's a character in mine in a French maids dress. She could try that if she's interested.

I prefer less subservient roles. Angelic

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 3 2009, 12:09 PM GMT

I prefer less subservient roles. Angelic

Trust me, she's far from subservient.

Quote: chipolata @ December 3 2009, 12:11 PM GMT

Trust me, she's far from subservient.

That's okay then. ;)