British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 21

I shall be entering this. Very excited and lots of ideas bubbling away. I have missed writing so much this month. Is there a prize for this one?

Hi Elise

The prize is getting your script performed in front of the comedy industry and the general public. The winner of The Sitcom Trials in May had a half-hour pilot commissioned by BBC Radio Production.

Sorry, that's all we can offer you at this stage. You'll get a bottle of wine and warm and fuzziness too, and you can't put a price on warm fuzziness.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ November 30 2009, 1:30 PM GMT

you can't put a price on warm fuzziness.

Really? My hooker's been ripping me off.

Kev, save your money, I peed my trousers and it cost me nothing.

Quote: Declan @ November 30 2009, 1:35 PM GMT

Kev, save your money, I peed my trousers and it cost me nothing.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll make my script less hilarious next time.

Top.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 30 2009, 1:37 PM GMT

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll make my script less hilarious next time.

It wasn't funny; it was scary...

Dan

Quote: Elise Bramich @ November 30 2009, 1:12 PM GMT

I shall be entering this. Very excited and lots of ideas bubbling away. I have missed writing so much this month. Is there a prize for this one?

Getting commissioned is the only prize that matters.

We've been asked to do a workshop in Newcastle. Delighted to go provided we can make it pay. Leeds was a brilliant experience-we uncovered at least one script, and met some very, very talented actors-but with only 5 writers there it just about covered our fares.

Which made me think.

I've just Googled 'Conurbations by population' and discovered that in descending size they are: London. Birmingham. Manchester. Leeds. Glasgow. Newcastle. Liverpool. Sheffield. Bristol. Soon we'll have done a workshop in the top 4, but how about the rest?

If you are a writer in (say) Birmingham and you can get 9 fellow writers and a venue together we'll come.

Any takers?

Simon

Simon and Declan - regarding the 14-day turnaround for feedback - is that 14 days from when I sent my script in, or 14 days from the deadline? (appreciate you've probably got hundreds to send out)

Also - Simon, you might want to Google "adult literacy levels by postcode" instead, that will save you a lot of train fare ;)

*ducks for cover*

*googles "conurbations"*

I was just wondering about prizes as Sitcom Trials don't have any either, might make one comp more attractive than another if one even offered a bottle of bubbly. But then, I am the sort of person who is almost always swayed by the offer of alcohol.

My only prize on Tuesday night if I win is the public embarassment of having to climb up on stage in front of people. I hope Matt Holt wins. He's got more stage presence than I.

We have talked to one person very high up in industry who said they might be able to offer us a prize in the future.

If that's what you want.

Quote: simon wright @ November 30 2009, 1:48 PM GMT

If you are a writer in (say) Birmingham and you can get 9 fellow writers and a venue together we'll come.

Any takers?

Simon

One for Birmingham please. :)

Quote: Declan @ November 30 2009, 2:16 PM GMT

We have talked to one person very high up in industry who said they might be able to offer us a prize in the future.

If that's what you want.

Supper with Michael Winner does not count as a prize.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ November 30 2009, 2:19 PM GMT

One for Birmingham please. :)

So that's 1 nil Birmingham. Come on you magpies...