British Comedy Guide

Are you ever too old? Page 2

I started doing stand up when I was 30 and often wish I'd started much earlier, but the truth is that I wasn't ready to do it before as I didn't have the life experience to give me things to talk about and I didn't have the self-confidence.

I'm not saying that there aren't good younger comics out there but the ones that I find most interesting tend to be 30+ and my favourites all seem to be in their 40s (Milton Jones, Tim Vine, Simon Evans, etc), but that, of course, could be because they share similar frames of reference to me.

Rhod Gilbert, who's doing fantastically well and really should've won the Perrier (or whatever you want to call it now) this year, didn't start until he was in his mid-thirties.

Personally I don't think you are ever too old, funny's funny, however being older does make it harder for you to make an impact as youth is worshipped by a lot of the people who commission TV programmes and promote comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 27 2009, 4:08 PM GMT

It does feell slightly like you've got to make serious inroads into the comedy world whilst you're still relatively young. I don't know why.

It's ageism. As you get older (i'm approaching my centenary year) you get very wistful and nostalgic for your lost powers - mostly physical - everything else gets better. This bittersweet nostalgia leads to older people valuing youth for itself, when it is essentially valueless.

Bertolt Brecht wrote his first play when he was 24, but it isn't any good. His reputation rests on work he wrote between 45 and 56. The same is true of virtually everybody. There are a view 'greats' who didn't make old bones - like Keats, kafka, schiele, Richard Beckinsale... You've got plenty of time, Matt. I think Between 30 and 37 is when it happens so you and Tim are fine. Dolly, Griff, BB and me are f**ked, obviously.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 27 2009, 4:42 PM GMT

Dolly, Griff, BB and me are f**ked, obviously.

Laughing out loud

While I'm still getting away with saying I'm 30 - I'm okay. Unimpressed

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 27 2009, 4:42 PM GMT

It's ageism. As you get older (i'm approaching my centenary year) you get very wistful and nostalgic for your lost powers - mostly physical - everything else gets better. This bittersweet nostalgia leads to older people valuing youth for itself, when it is essentially valueless.

Bertolt Brecht wrote his first play when he was 24, but it isn't any good. His reputation rests on work he wrote between 45 and 56. The same is true of virtually everybody. There are a view 'greats' who didn't make old bones - like Keats, kafka, schiele, Richard Beckinsale... You've got plenty of time, Matt. I think Between 30 and 37 is when it happens so you and Tim are fine. Dolly, Griff, BB and me are f**ked, obviously.

I had two comedy plays produced on London fringe when I was nearly 60

Quote: bushbaby @ November 27 2009, 4:53 PM GMT

I had two comedy plays produced on London fringe when I was nearly 60

I was only joking BB, It'll probably just be me who's f**ked.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 27 2009, 5:06 PM GMT

I was only joking BB, It'll probably just be me who's f**ked.

I know ;) I mean I know you were only joking :D

I'd say being young is more of a disadvantage than being old in the comedy world. I'm 19 and while I don't think its been a hindrance, it certainly makes people more cautious of working with me because I'm "inexperienced".

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ November 27 2009, 5:38 PM GMT

I'm 19 and while I don't think its been a hindrence

As you grow older, spelling shouldn't be much of a hindrance.

Christ you're fast! I was just coming back to change it.

Quote: Griff @ November 27 2009, 5:34 PM GMT

Nice one BB. :)

Thanks, the adrenaline nearly killed me, it was far more exciting than acting!!!

Quote: bushbaby @ November 27 2009, 6:01 PM GMT

Thanks, the adrenaline nearly killed me, it was far more exciting than acting!!!

That's what they all say, babes. Now for the 'doggie' position...

Quote: Morrace @ November 27 2009, 6:05 PM GMT

That's what they all say, babes. Now for the 'doggie' position...

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I think language can be a problem as you grow older. It's not always easy to keep up with the modern vernacular unless you're constantly surrounded by younger people, and long-winded stuff isn't snappy enough to be funny.

Some perfectly valid words can be right out of date. At the moment I'm directing a panto I've written and I've been aware of some of the cast changing the odd word here and there - obviously my choice of word was too old-fashioned.

Then again, with life experience you acquire (or should) a wide vocabulary, but there's nothing worse than saying something you think is really witty, only to be asked 'What does that word mean?' - joke killed stone dead.

There, now I've been too long-winded.

Quote: keewik @ November 27 2009, 6:10 PM GMT

I think language can be a problem as you grow older. It's not always easy to keep up with the modern vernacular unless you're constantly surrounded by younger people, and long-winded stuff isn't snappy enough to be funny.

Some perfectly valid words can be right out of date. At the moment I'm directing a panto I've written and I've been aware of some of the cast changing the odd word here and there - obviously my choice of word was too old-fashioned.

Then again, with life experience you acquire (or should) a wide vocabulary, but there's nothing worse than saying something you think is really witty, only to be asked 'What does that word mean?' - joke killed stone dead.

There, now I've been too long-winded.

Grandchildren keep me up to date the way they talk....I get p*ssed but they get wasted. I say it's great, they say it's awesome and so on :D

Quote: keewik @ November 27 2009, 6:10 PM GMT

"Beeeee - hiiiiiiinnnnnd - yooooo - mutha-f**ka!!