British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 89

Quote: Morrace @ November 24 2009, 3:31 PM GMT

but (with respect) I do think you go on a bit, Mikey!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ November 24 2009, 6:05 PM GMT

Yes, I suppose I do. :) But... many a time, I say what a lot of peeps are thinking but don't want to say.

When I said, 'I do think you go on a bit' - I was referring to your SKETCHES!.

Your Street Crime sketch is at least 50% too long. For example; the Presenter's preamble "New statistics out this week suggest that people in Britain are ten times more likely to fall victim to street crime... " establishes that the reporter (Veronica) will be in a 'Danger Zone' - where else would she be - The Chelsea Flower Show?!

________________________________________________________________________________

So this dialogue ---

VERONICA:
Not a lot actually. I've been standing here in the High Street for six hours now and I haven't been mugged once. Mind you, I'm ne of the lucky ones. Apparently, crime is commonplace in this area.

--- becomes ---

VERONICA:
Not a lot actually.
________________________________________________________________________________

All the blah-de-blah stuff like "I've been standing here in the High Street for six hours now..." is ok in a 'straight' programme, but in comedy you have to cut to the chase! Anything else is a waste of time - and time is cliché.

Mind you, Griff has a good point with his...

Quote: Griff @ November 24 2009, 6:51 PM GMT

Well, one of the reasons they don't want to say it is because half the industry are reading. It's your choice Mikey. Slag off a show on a public messageboard if it helps get things off your chest, but don't then expect those same TV and Radio producers you've just insulted to fall over themselves to work with you.

If you 'slagged off' the BBC with the name, say, 'FunsterBoy', you could then submit your sketches, etc., as Mikey Jackson without fear of predjudice or being 'blacklisted'.

May I suggest...? > > > http://tinyurl.com/2gjuk2

Hope that helps!

:)

Quote: Morrace @ November 25 2009, 2:26 AM GMT

When I said, 'I do think you go on a bit' - I was referring to your SKETCHES!.

Oh, so I was right then.

Hi Morrace.

Well, the whole point of the Presenter's preamble and Veronica's first line is the fact that the Presenter doesn't really believe there's much street crime out there, whereas Veronica is trying to make it look like there is.

The fact that she has been standing there for hours without being mugged implies that the Presenter is right, but then Veronica adds about the area being a crime zone, just to give the impression that she has simply been lucky.

And then of course she goes through the motions of "creating" crimes that aren't really there, including the Big Issue seller and the busker.

I'll stop there, as I don't wish to become all Cotter-like, blueface-ingly defending my creations. :)

But, yes, I guess you're right. I should have cut it down a bit for sending to somewhere like NJ, where time matters.

And LOL @ the link you posted.

Quote: Beelzebozo @ November 25 2009, 12:36 AM GMT

Did everyone who got stuff in get an invite to the workshops? I just got a one-liner in but I haven't heard owt. I think I remember someone saying they got an invite after a 14 second one-liner. I would have thought by now they've sent out all the invites they're gonna :(

No. I got at least four items recorded on three of the six shows. Admittedly only two made it to the final cut, but I've not been invited.

I managed to sneak a one-liner in at the last minute and I'm not going to a workshop.

Presumably that either means my one liner was so perfectly crafted that they realise a workshop would just be patronising, or it was so direly conceived that not even a workshop can save me.

I was the 14 second-er, so to speak. That said I did get feedback on a sketch and may I suppose have had a few near misses on vox pops/corrections (I don't think they routinely sent out feedback on those). I was also asked to submit stuff for the pilot episode on the basis of other work one of the producers had seen. So maybe it all added up.

I'm going to the workshop tomorrow. As a northerner am trekking down tonight to stay at a mate's house but am sad enough to admit just walking into the BBC and not being arrested will be nice.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes, so we know what to prepare for next week.

Dan

And take jim field's number with you just in case.

Aldrin - see you tomorrow (I look pretty much like my Avatar)

Dan - surely that would take the fun out of it!

I'm going to the one on the 12th, is the one today actually at the BBC? Wooo!

So who's going along to the workshop tomorrow?

Me, Badge, Jane P, swerytd, ContainsNuts, Kevin Murphy... who have I missed out?

Quote: Griff @ December 11 2009, 11:49 AM GMT

So who's going along to the workshop tomorrow?

Me, Badge, Jane P, swerytd, ContainsNuts, Kevin Murphy... who have I missed out?

Do you mean to suggest they've invited people who aren't on this site Griff!? :)

I'm overly excited about the whole thing and fully expect to faint on arrival and have to be carted off and miss it all.

I am really pleased that I know a few people going though, it makes it a slightly less scary prospect as I've never been to anything like this before.

:)

Now excuse me while I read the news. :) :O >_< Huh?

Ah if only we could use smileys in sketches.

And I've no idea how they decided who to invite - but I had four vox pops and one (co written) sketch accepted last time round.

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ December 11 2009, 11:59 AM GMT

And I've no idea how they decided who to invite

Quota.

;)

Quote: Jane P @ December 11 2009, 11:59 AM GMT

Now excuse me while I read the news. :) :O >_< Huh?

Yeah I had a desperate scan through the papers last night, to little avail!