British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 87

Invitation only, as far as I know...

It would be interesting to know if the people invited to the RFTP workshops got more stuff into this series than those that didn't. Ditto for the next series of Newsjack (assuming there is one). Will those invited to these workshops get more stuff on the next series?

Quote: R.J. @ November 18 2009, 10:54 AM GMT

Invitation only, as far as I know...

Hmm thanks. Now who do I need to sleep with to get an invitation....any takers? None? Ok it was worth a try anyway...

Quote: Ric B @ November 18 2009, 11:18 AM GMT

Hmm thanks. Now who do I need to sleep with to get an invitation....any takers? None? Ok it was worth a try anyway...

Did you send anything in for S1 of Newsjack, Ric?

Quote: Griff @ November 18 2009, 11:22 AM GMT

Did you send anything in for S1 of Newsjack, Ric?

No I'm a newbie, but I think a workshop would be really beneficial so I would love to go to one. Will be sending in stuff to the new series, so maybe next time ;)

Yeah, the workshops are for people who got stuff in (or nearly got stuff in) to S1. Hopefully next time Ric!

Keep an eye on the Writersroom website though, as they often do free talks, Q&As etc. I went to one about writing for radio a couple of years ago and it was excellent.

Quote: Griff @ November 18 2009, 11:39 AM GMT

Yeah, the workshops are for people who got stuff in (or nearly got stuff in) to S1. Hopefully next time Ric!

Keep an eye on the Writersroom website though, as they often do free talks, Q&As etc. I went to one about writing for radio a couple of years ago and it was excellent.

Cheers. Thanks for that.

Is anyone from here going to the workshop for Newsjack, Dec 4th?

Yeah, the workshops are for people who got stuff in (or nearly got stuff in) to S1.

I got emails when I submitted stuff each week to NJ saying "sooooo close, very funny, nearly there" so it's rather disappointing to not be invited to a workshop.

One of the regulars on here (can't remember who now) used to think they were "blacklisted" by the Beeb. I'm kind of thinking I am too. :(

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ November 24 2009, 2:20 PM GMT

One of the regulars on here used to think they were "blacklisted" by the Beeb. I'm kind of thinking I am too. :(

They finally got my email then.

They finally got my email then.

heh, I almost believe that. :P

Before anyone throws me a delusional card, my street crime and duct tape diet sketches were "nearlies." Weirdly enough, they've got consistent funnies throughout.
Mind you, I suppose one of the reasons they didn't use them was because they weren't about any news story in particular.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ November 24 2009, 2:29 PM GMT

Weirdly enough, it's got consistence funnies throughout.

How strange then that it never got used. I can't understand it.

Yeah, yeah, ok, so I know not all sketches with "consistent funnies" would get used.

Mikey this moaning about not getting on shows and then slagging off what was broadcast instead is very unbecoming.

There are lots of shows I haven't got on, which other people on here have done. Two series of Play And Record. Broken Arts. That Mitchell And Webb Sound. Watson's Wind-Up (which you have got on with a good joke about Michael Jackson). That's life.

Be gracious. No one likes a whinger.

Yeah, you're right, Griff. :(
Maybe I need to clear my head a bit, and get out of feeling so low.