British Comedy Guide

Jumper (a sketch) Page 5

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 19 2009, 11:57 PM GMT

Paranoia eats away at the soul, my friend. :(

It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

And even if you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

True, but I gave up being paranoid (after being so for most of my life) and it makes life remarkably more peaceful.

I'm no expert Roodie, maybe your arrival on the site coincided with a flurry of new members which has put some of the established members on alert. But, I've always enjoyed your stuff, it's a shame it sometimes provokes comments that aren't about the writing.

Perhaps if you were a bit less prickly, (whilst maintaining your creative flair ;)) and others were to be a bit less sceptical, we'd all enjoy a critique section were everyone is welcome?

Or am I being naive?

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 20 2009, 12:03 AM GMT

True, but I gave up being paranoid (after being so for most of my life) and it makes life remarkably more peaceful.

In all seriousness, the vast majority of BCG's members have never interacted with me.

Of those that have interacted with me, there are a few that I get along with pretty well, a few that seem entirely neutral and a few who seem none too keen on me.

It doesn't worry me. I don't seek interaction with any of the none-too-keen. I live my BCG life quite happily unless and until they (for indeed they never come alone) start sniping, at which point it all kicks off.

My uncle is parannoyed and has suffered with drink and drugs over many years but people don't pick on him even if he does write really funny skitches like roodeye does which he doesn't because he is a buildir. I think you may be a bit jealous but its not your or faults either is it roodeye. You should all make friends together with roodeye also.

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 20 2009, 12:05 AM GMT

I'm no expert Roodie, maybe your arrival on the site coincided with a flurry of new members which has put some of the established members on alert. But, I've always enjoyed your stuff, it's a shame it sometimes provokes comments that aren't about the writing.

Perhaps if you were a bit less prickly, (whilst maintaining your creative flair ;)) and others were to be a bit less sceptical, we'd all enjoy a critique section were everyone is welcome?

Or am I being naive?

That's not naive, Angie.

It's a very reasonable assessment of the situation.

I know there have been a few strange sketches posted recently and I know that I must be on the list of suspects - although I'd hate to think I was right at the top - but I'd like to think at least a few people are looking at those sketches and thinking "No. If this was one of Roodeye's, it'd be funnier".

As for being prickly, I hope I always respond pleasantly to a pleasant overture but, as you've no doubt seen in those old Wild West saloon fights, when things are getting out of hand, your best friend can tap you on the shoulder and you punch him in the mouth.

As Frank Sinatra (and Esther Rantzen) used to say, that's life. ;)

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 20 2009, 12:05 AM GMT

Or am I being naive?

The sketch is really funny and I don't know how a thread can descend into such 'nastiness', that's the only word I can think of.
Sometimes it's like pack wolves on here instead of being comedy...a shame.....[not your post Angiebabe btw]

Blimey, this thread's got a bit lively all of a sudden!

I know I don't use this forum as much as most members on here - so hopefully this won't sound cheeky - but it would be great if people could use critique for that purpose alone, rather than for settling scores and proving points and all that other stuff.

With regards to the sketch, I think its premise is a good one, though, personally, I'd have made it more about the policemen and their increasingly desperate attempts to reason with the woman...

POLICEMAN 1: We can see up your skirt. (TO POLICEMAN 2) Anything?

POLICEMAN 2: Na. She's staying put.

POLICEMAN 1: Er... oh, er... The wind's making your hair look really silly. We're all having a good laugh about that down here, I can tell you... (etc, etc)

That's just my opinion though. And if anyone disagrees, I'd be quite happy to settle our differences with some sort of violent duel.

Quote: Speckled Jim @ November 20 2009, 1:53 AM GMT

That's just my opinion though. And if anyone disagrees, I'd be quite happy to settle our differences with some sort of violent duel.

:D

Quote: bushbaby @ November 20 2009, 12:35 AM GMT

The sketch is really funny and I don't know how a thread can descend into such 'nastiness', that's the only word I can think of.
Sometimes it's like pack wolves on here instead of being comedy...a shame.....[not your post Angiebabe btw]

Woah, steady on there bushbaby! Have a look back through the thread, will you! (I have, by the way). Roodeye's sketch has been praised by everybody. It really has. Go on, have a look. It's tempting to say it's had praise the like of which I've never seen in all my life before on any writing forum. And not without reason, by the way.

It's also been a very useful Critique thread, if you ask me, because it has highlighted an interesting debate: should you write the very best vision that you have, or should you write something for a market with a fixed and lower budget?

As far as BCG Critique goes, I'm all for Roodeye's stance in writing in bystanders and the people in windows (and it definitely needs the two different policemen). I think the writer should be free to put forward the best representation of their vision, and let producers decide otherwise later - which is rarely an issue for things posted on the BCG.

If Roodeye had said this was an animation, no-one would have batted an eyelid. But it's an interesting debate to have, and I suggest to SlagA that it's one worth pinning. Roodeye, it would mean you agreeing not to delete the sketch, but if the thread is pinned as a useful example to others - how about it?

Quote: Badge @ November 20 2009, 2:43 AM GMT

I think the writer should be free to put forward the best representation of their vision, and let producers decide otherwise later - which is rarely an issue for things posted on the BCG.

Laughing out loud

That is the best back-handed compliment ever....

First of all Roodeye, I enjoyed the sketch too, and as for the cost implication this rarely gets raised in sketches so you can take that as a compliment or people being over critical.

And everyone, can we please take it down a peg, I don't want every sketch Roodeye posts to decend into chaos, he wrote a funny sketch! Let's just stick to that, I have read through this thread and in all honesty Roodeye wasn't being rude but merely joining in on a debate and any arseyness(?) was returned in kind!

Please keep past problems in the past, at the end of the day if you have a problem with Roodeye don't post in his threads! Ignore them as simple as that!

As usual anyone has any problems give me a PM.

I'll drink to that. Cool

Quote: Mannikin Bird @ November 18 2009, 10:00 PM GMT

Yep it's a good 'un. Is the mention of the people in the window talking to her necessary though?

They can't see up her skirt.

I would dispense with Young Policeman and cut from the concerned office workers to the old, seen-it-all-policeman's 'We can see up your skirt!' and her scurrying away.
Brilliant.

Quote: Roodeye @ November 20 2009, 12:00 AM GMT

It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

And even if you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

It can feel intimidating posting on the board where lots of people are so chummy with each other - outside of the board too. One member has posted that people had been asking them about me (in PMs I presume) - although I think the idea of saying that was to make me feel paranoid, so I can see where some of your concerns can arise.

However I really, really doubt people have been PMing each other to have a go at you on this thread. I can honestly say I have not heard anything of the sort.

Everyone liked the sketch and the suggestions have been made to make it even better and saleable. You can say thanks but no thanks, or take it on board. I don't think there is any hidden agenda going on - and that's from someone you called a c**t. :)