British Comedy Guide

Dogs Sketch

Kind of developed into a sketch though it's based on a true event.

An old man was on his way to visit his relatives with two poodles in the back of his car. As he approached the house where his relatives lived, he was being watched by an old woman peering anxiously through her window next door.

Old Women (LOUDLY):Right! Someone's turned up!

DOGS BARKING IN BACKGROUND

Old women's husband: What on Earth is going on my love?

Old Women:Well… it's those bloody dogs. He won't get em to shut up next door. I'm going to tell whoever he is (referring to old man from car) to get those dogs to shut up!

The old woman leaves the house to confront the old man who has exited his car and waiting at the door.

Old Women:Excuse me!

(NO RESPONSE FROM OLD MAN)

........excuse me!

(STILL NO RESPONSE FROM OLD MAN)

.........Oi!!!

The old man turns slowly to his right chewing some gum.

Old man: (DEEP VOICE & TALKS SLOWLY)

Yes?

Old Women: (SHOUTING)When you go in get those dogs in there to shut up! (points to next door neighbours house)

I cannot concentrate! They have been barking all day and I am sick of it!!

Old man:They're not my dogs…..My dogs are in the car over there…

OLD MAN POINTS TO DOGS IN CAR (BARKING AS WELL)

Old Women:Well, you obviously know Desmond, so tell him to shut those dogs up right now!! Or I'll shut them up for him!

PAUSE

Old Man:Hmmmmm……..Would you like a mint?

MAN OFFERS MINT FROM PACKET IN HIS HAND

The old woman looks at the mint in his hand then walks back inside.

END

I didn't get it.

It's unfunny because it's true.

Guess it's one of those 'You had to be there' jokes.

The authors name is "Paul Barker", is that the joke?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 17 2009, 2:54 PM GMT

The authors name is "Paul Barker", is that the joke?

Laughing out loud

Whether this sketch is deemed to be 'totally shite', 'utterly brilliant' or somewhere in-between, I see no difference quality-wise between this and Lesbian sketch posted recently by Teddy and the identical Delivery Man sketch previously posted to rave reviews by Ben.

I thought it was in between and it could be improved. sorry but what do you mean about the delivery man and the lesbian sketches and the rave reviews etc?

I think this is a wind up. If not, it doesn't make sense and the dialogue is very poor.

Quote: YesNo @ November 17 2009, 3:54 PM GMT

I think this is a wind up.

You may be on to something there YesNo.

I don't think it's a wind up. It's probably the fact that this woman became apoplectic about the noise the dogs were making and went off on one about what she was going to do to all and sundry - only to then be instantly placated by the offer of a mint. IMHO

Quote: Richard H @ November 17 2009, 3:44 PM GMT

what do you mean about the delivery man and the lesbian sketches and the rave reviews etc?

A few days ago, a sketch entitled 'Lesbian' was posted to mildly favourable reviews by Teddy Luke Logan.

Shortly thereafter, it emerged that the sketch was identical to a sketch entitled 'Delivery Man' posted last year to rave reviews by Ben.

Those two sketches being identical and this sketch being in my view neither better nor worse than the earlier two, the differences between the three lots of critiques is interesting.

Here are the links:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/15765 (Lesbian)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/9251#P263034 (Delivery Man)

Quote: YesNo @ November 17 2009, 3:54 PM GMT

it doesn't make sense and the dialogue is very poor.

He says that the sketch is based on a true event so things don't make sense in real life and spoken dialogue is often poor, so you could say it's Pinteresque.

What on Earth is going on my love?

(SHOUTING)When you go in get those dogs in there to shut up! [] I cannot concentrate!

It's just bad.

Quote: Roodeye @ November 17 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

A few days ago, a sketch entitled 'Lesbian' was posted to mildly favourable reviews by Teddy Luke Logan.

Shortly thereafter, it emerged that the sketch was identical to a sketch entitled 'Delivery Man' posted last year to rave reviews by Ben.

Those two sketches being identical and this sketch being in my view neither better nor worse than the earlier two, the differences between the three lots of critiques is interesting.

Here are the links:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/15765 (Lesbian)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/9251#P263034 (Delivery Man)

Oh I get it now. That's very weird! A case for Sherlock Holmes!