British Comedy Guide

Edward Woodward R.I.P. Page 5

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 16 2009, 7:37 PM GMT

I believe Scandinavians can generally do very good Scottish accents.

Well, Britt's was certainly very good.

Quote: Griff @ November 16 2009, 7:39 PM GMT

Now that I never knew. Annie Ross is great.

She was great as the boozy, jazz singer in Altman's Short Cuts. (A Brit, of course, she was born in Mitcham, to Scottish parents, before being raised in LA.)

It was certainly more Scottish than her 'Scottish' partner's of the time.

Eh?

Wasn't she going out with the cockney talking tartan wearing one by then, I thought it was around that time ish?

Oh, Roderick Stewart... Yep, they were together in the mid-70s or something. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 16 2009, 7:53 PM GMT

Wasn't she going out with the cockney talking tartan wearing one by then,

I thought you were referring to me.

Not sure about Britt as a person; she's very into wearing fur, having spoilt little dogs and being quite rude in that Scandanavian way. :) (or maybe it's because Mr Dagger likes her....;) )

Can we assume it's the latter then?

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 16 2009, 7:22 PM GMT

I just don't think she agreed to do full nudity for the film (probably money had something to do with it).

I don't whether it's some sort of film lore urban myth, but it has often been said that Britt Ekland did not do nude shots of her lower regions in The Wicker Man because she was pregnant at the time. If that's true, she must have subsequently suffered a miscarriage.

And Edward Woodward: what a lovely singing voice! In Australia, he was best known for his role as Breaker Morant in the 1980 film of the same name. He sings over the closing credits. He was also known for his 1980s' TV advertisements for a laminated wood composite product called Craftwood. "You see, Craftwood will, where wood wouldn't. Or my name isn't Edward Woodward," was the tagline of the ads.

The Series 3 DVD set of Callan has a great interview with him, in which he comes across as very humble.

Acutally when I first read this thread I thought it was, Jedwood dead wood dead.

So a double tragedy.

Quote: Kenneth @ November 17 2009, 11:34 AM GMT

I don't whether it's some sort of film lore urban myth, but it has often been said that Britt Ekland did not do nude shots of her lower regions in The Wicker Man because she was pregnant at the time. If that's true, she must have subsequently suffered a miscarriage.

Hmmmm, maybe just a myth. My only evidence for this is looking at Miss Ekland's breasts in the scene. They appear untouched by pregnancy-related hormones. Of course, this would only really become obvious well into her first trimester. However, if she was not "showing" in the breast department, then she wouldn't really be showing in the pelvic area...

(Er, I'm not sure this is sort of thing Mr Woodward would have expected for his obituary page.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 17 2009, 12:21 PM GMT

(Er, I'm not sure this is sort of thing Mr Woodward would have expected for his obituary page.)

He was accustomed to this sort of talk. The moderator of the DVD commentary on the director's cut of The Wicker Man (which includes Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee) asks the director why Britt had the body double.

Moderator: Famously, some of the appearances of Britt Ekland here are body doubled. Why did that happen?

Robin Hardy: It's when she starts to do the slapping... When she actually starts really going with the rhythm of the slapping and the banging with the wall, we had her turned completely around. And she didn't like us seeing her back because she felt that it didn't present her in the best way and she asked us to get a double. And so we had to get a young dancer from Glasgow to come and play this next shot of her. Not this one, that one.

Followed by Edward Woodward explaining things on his side of the wall.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 17 2009, 12:21 PM GMT

Hmmmm, maybe just a myth. My only evidence for this is looking at Miss Ekland's breasts in the scene. They appear untouched by pregnancy-related hormones. Of course, this would only really become obvious well into her first trimester. However, if she was not "showing" in the breast department, then she wouldn't really be showing in the pelvic area...

Wow, a rare piece of obstetrics advice from Doctor 'don't bleep me I'm trying to get 10,000 posts' Walker.

Quote: Kenneth @ November 17 2009, 12:51 PM GMT

He was accustomed to this sort of talk. The moderator of the DVD commentary on the director's cut of The Wicker Man (which includes Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee) asks the director why Britt had the body double.

Moderator: Famously, some of the appearances of Britt Ekland here are body doubled. Why did that happen?

Robin Hardy: It's when she starts to do the slapping... When she actually starts really going with the rhythm of the slapping and the banging with the wall, we had her turned completely around. And she didn't like us seeing her back because she felt that it didn't present her in the best way and she asked us to get a double. And so we had to get a young dancer from Glasgow to come and play this next shot of her. Not this one, that one.

Followed by Edward Woodward explaining things on his side of the wall.

The "moderator" on that commentary being, of course, Dr Mark Kermode. (The director of the film was Robin Hardy, who is in production on the sequel to The Wicker Man, entitled The Wicker Tree, due for release in 2010.)

There is an easter egg on the DVD with footage of the three of them sat round recording the DVD commentary.

Didn't know of theis sequal news. Don't see how it needs one (unless to help erase our memories of Nicholas Cage) . . .

Quote: AndreaLynne @ November 16 2009, 5:30 PM GMT

I always watched the Equalizer with my gran. She always thought he was a "looker."

The Equalizer was awesome! I remember quite fancying him in that too. I was only about 10 then so quite worrying that I liked old men in dirty macs, even back then.