British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 51

Yay! Resurrect that thread! :)

Dan

Thanks to everyone for a fourth fabulous heat of the Sitcom Trials last night. James will be announcing the wiinners shortly and unveiling for the first time the full line up for the semi finals including highest scoring runners up. Meanwhile I'll be editing together the video diary which should , hopefully include interviews with our record number of judges (5 count em 5) - Tom (Torchwood) Price, Wanda (Corrie) Opalinska, Roland (Land Girls) Moore, Marc (How Not to Write a Sitcom) Blake, and Laura (School of Comedy) Lawson. Stay tuned.

He might not have done it. My mistake. I realised the message I read about him getting through was from saturday so I'm not sure if he got through last night. I reckon he has though along with Bumboy (which I get the feeling is the John and Edward of the competition).

Without wishing to steal James' thunder (clearly that's Kev's job) as a non-winner form last night I'd like to congratulate all who took part and especiallty all those who have gone through.

in particular I liked Elise's Future Proof which I thought was well written, with nicely formed characters and a healthy dash of originality. Well presented too. I certainly didn't expect mine to be only the second best time-travel related sitcom in the heat. :)

I shall now post 'Bunk' in the critique forum to be ritually disembowelled.

Congrats and thanks also to James and Kev for the production and the opportunity.

Disclaimer: I am, of course not saying that Elise's sitcom progressed. James will do that later.

Sad to hear that ponderer.

Did you come behind The Bum Boy?

Quote: Marc P @ November 10 2009, 11:43 AM GMT

I see what you did there.

It would be ungenlemanly for me to revel my relationship to bumboy.

Quote: Marc P @ November 10 2009, 11:43 AM GMT

Unfortunately, this is probably the last we'll see of Bumboy. Please leave your puns in the Bumboy condolence thread! Quick summary for you guys, given that it's been trailed so extensively.

The winners from last night that are going through to the semis are:

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Peter Higgins and
"Futureproof" by Elise Bramich

(The judges and the audience were of the same mind, with the audience votes going to "Baby" in the first show and "Futureproof" in the second show)

I'll try and do a summary later on and announce the wildcards once I've spoken in person to the writers and directors involved.

Hey all! Had an amazing time last night. Really enjoyed the show (twice). Thanks to everyone who was involved and looking forward to maybe seeing some more of you at the semi finals :)

#sitcomtrials video diary from last night's show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LC0iyYe2w

Inc clips of all sitcoms and chats with judges

And if you've not been following #sitcomtrials on Twitter you missed:

AA's Gills - Alexander Armstrong has posse of girlfriends, all called Gill. Pronounced with a hard G. #sitcomtrials Pitchfest

Major star spot: Freema Agyeman, Shaftesbury Ave. #sitcomtrials #drwho

Double star spot: Toby Young on bike & Daniel Mays on foot #sitcomtrials

#sitcomtrials winner part one: Baby Its Cold Outside

#sitcomtrials winner part 2 Future Proof

Bugger! I've left my brand new overcoat backstage at #sitcomtrials. Who can get it for me? I'm on the train home

Quote: Griff @ November 10 2009, 11:00 PM GMT

Sorry to hear your bad luck Ponderer.

:(

Cheers Griff. The best two went through...no doubt about it.

Here are the complete line-ups for the semi-finals, including the two wildcard entries "Prodigies" and "The Second Best Job in the World". Tickets are still available for both shows, and for the all important grand final on Tuesday 1st December.

First Semi-Final: Monday 16th November

* Prodigies
by Alex Kirk and Simon Messingham
Directed by Chris Lince
* Alan Pob - Writing Wrongs
by Saul Wordsworth
Directed by Chris Fitchew
* Future Proof
by Elise Bramich
Starring Kiosk of Champions
* The Second Best Job in the World
by Chris Gilgallon
Directed by Francesca Broadfoot
* End to End
by Matt Holt, Steve McNeil, and Sam Pamphilon
Directed by Matt Holt

Second Semi-Final: Monday 23rd November

* Baby, It's Cold Outside
by Peter Higgins
Directed by Lydia Parker
* The Johns
by Hugh Travers
Directed by Sarit Wilson Chen
* My Sister
by Robin Bailes
Directed by Matt Holt
* Long Term Sick
by Mark Brotherhood
Directed by Lydia Parker
* Assemblage of Evil
by Joe Deacon
Directed by Charlie Henniker

Sitcom Trials semi finals trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nihtpoW1kIU

Be there.

Would it be fair to say that a script's success in this competition depends significantly on casting? I've only seen the YouTube clips.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 13 2009, 10:46 AM GMT

Would it be fair to say that a script's success in this competition depends significantly on casting? I've only seen the YouTube clips.

An interesting question, how big a difference direction and casting makes to scripts in The Sitcom Trials. Bear in mind that the videos on YouTube just give you a glimpse, often as short as 10 seconds, of each sitcom. And sometimes I've found the 8.30 audience, during which I've filmed most clips, are a lot quieter than the 6pm, which makes sitcoms feel a lot flatter, so the clips aren't a good way to judge the whole 10 minutes of a Trials entry by any means.

I've glanced back at the pocket review I wrote of all 20 finalist scripts when I was sent them by James in September. Remembering I have no input in the selection of scripts, directors or casting, and don't even get a vote on the night (what am I there for?), it's interesting to me to note how some scripts have become much more impressive on stage than they were on the page.

It would be unfair at this stage to name the scripts I commented on, but looking at my notes I see one script that is through to the semi-finals and was an outstanding success on the night merited this from me:

"Dire. Talky, nothing happens, cringeworthy wordplay. 1/5"

Another semi-finalist, which again rocked the house, got this from me:

"Talky, been done better before, not funny enough. 2/5"

And of one script which didn't make it to the semis, not even as a highest scoring runner-up, I wrote:

"Very well written, good characters, good laughs. 4/5"

Which illustrates the big difference between scripts read cold, and scripts brought to life on the stage. Even scripts read round a table, as you'll experience in sitcom writing workshops, are seen in a new light. Dialogue can start to sound clunky when an actor has to deliver, or hidden nuances can start to become clear. Some scripts are also better suited to the stage than others, which may go onto be fine filmed comedy dramas for example.

I would say, having read the scripts and seen all performances, that no sitcom has suffered as a result of casting or direction, but that some have sparkled just that little bit more when the director and actors have made the best of the raw materials.

I urge anyone who hasn't been able to make it along yet to book their places for the semis or the final, especially if they intend entering a script in the Sitcom Trials or Sitcom Mission in the future. Seeing sitcoms live on stage makes all the difference.

Heat 1 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aubpflpa_Wg
Heat 2 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9uhwzn9as
Heat 3 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHKnFr1L40
Heat 4 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LC0iyYe2w

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 13 2009, 10:46 AM GMT

I'd agree with what Kev said, the exception being that a genuinely great or awful performance can make a v.big difference. I've seen one script that was good anyway raised another 50% by a brilliant lead performance. And I've seen another good script where one actor mangled pretty much every gag or set-up they were involved in...