British Comedy Guide

Big Party Plans Page 3

I like the moon idea.

I find constantly topping up people's drinks makes a party more interesting. And then planning a holiday with everyone, inviting them all to stay and then wishing I hadn't in the morning. :)

Quote: Marc P @ November 6 2009, 1:57 PM GMT

I think I've got it nailed.

I applied at Subways once to be a Sandwich Artist. Never did get the job, they said my ideas were too radical. :(

I don't know what they meant?

For my 21st I threw a house party to celebrate the last 21 years and each room represented a different decade. The kitchen was 80s themed and since I was a kid in the 80s was complete with 80s tuckshop and 'kids' party games (pin the tail on the donkey etc), the living room was turned into a 90s rave room where we blacked out the windows with black card and covered the place in white stars, put up a uv light so they all glowed in the dark and gave out uv pens which are invisible in daylight but showed up under the lights, so everyone could scribble on the walls, then there was lots of glow sticks and a strobe light etc, and a DJ. Then my room was a chill out room themed 'the naughties' or whatever we are supposed to call them. Had different playlists sorted for each room depending on the decade, the drinks were themed differently in each room, and the decorations. So maybe something like that (but for more decades possibly?)

Edit: Oh also, for music - if you are not yet a premium member on 'spotify' you can get a day pass you can pay for so you can listen to everything without advert interruptions which can be handy. They don't have all artists on there but they do have most

Quote: Dr Mato @ November 6 2009, 2:32 PM GMT

Okay there AAron.Rolling eyes

My pleasure, DR MAto. Rolling eyes

Quote: Sammy @ November 6 2009, 4:30 PM GMT

For my 21st I threw a house party to celebrate the last 21 years and each room represented a different decade. The kitchen was 80s themed and since I was a kid in the 80s was complete with 80s tuckshop and 'kids' party games (pin the tail on the donkey etc), the living room was turned into a 90s rave room where we blacked out the windows with black card and covered the place in white stars, put up a uv light so they all glowed in the dark and gave out uv pens which are invisible in daylight but showed up under the lights, so everyone could scribble on the walls, then there was lots of glow sticks and a strobe light etc, and a DJ. Then my room was a chill out room themed 'the naughties' or whatever we are supposed to call them. Had different playlists sorted for each room depending on the decade, the drinks were themed differently in each room, and the decorations. So maybe something like that (but for more decades possibly?)

Sounds scary.

Quote: Aaron @ November 7 2009, 11:43 AM GMT

Sounds scary.

It was awesome! Quite trippy though

Quote: Aaron @ November 6 2009, 12:03 PM GMT

You could infiltrate a US military base and shoot a dozen or so soldiers. Sounds like a right laugh.

I don't get it.

Quote: Moonstone @ November 7 2009, 4:07 PM GMT

I don't get it.

Just Aaron's Tourette's kicking in again. Errr

Last night I learned that the shooter is in a military hospital here in San Antonio. I'd like to pay him a visit and "accidentally" trip over the power cord connected to his ventilator.

Oh right, there's been another nutcase killing spree then, I gather?

Quote: Moonstone @ November 7 2009, 4:15 PM GMT

Oh right, there's been another nutcase killing spree then, I gather?

A U.S. Army major (he's a psychiatrist) shot and killed 13 people up the road at Fort Hood. Something like 38 people were wounded. The officer just happens to be a Muslim and shouted "Allahu Akbar!" as he mowed down the unarmed soldiers, but of course the media (especially the BBC) and Islamic groups are telling us that he wasn't a terrorist, all soldiers are ticking time bombs, lax gun laws are to blame, etc. I guess they expect us to ignore the reports that he had defended suicide bombers in online forums and frequently referred to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as wars on Islam.

Quote: DaButt @ November 7 2009, 4:11 PM GMT

Last night I learned that the shooter is in a military hospital here in San Antonio. I'd like to pay him a visit and "accidentally" trip over the power cord connected to his ventilator.

On a rather tangential note, ahem... In the early 1970s, at a certain well-known London hospital's Intensive Care Unit, a superstition grew up around the "Bed Of Death". The staff started to notice that patients who were admitted to this slot in the unit always seemed to die. There appeared to be no great correlation between the condition/age/sex/treatment etc of the patients who were put in this bed, but statistically they were more likely to snuff it.

So one of the staff decided to try and get to the bottom of it, keeping a very close eye on anything suspicious happening around the "Bed Of Death". What he/she found that the "Angel Of The Bed Of Death" was, in fact, a newly-employed cleaner.

Every time this new cleaner would come in to clean the Intensive Care Unit, she would have to plug in her floor-buffing machine. What the observer noticed was that she would quite innocently unplug the ventilator (always the socket to this particular bed), thus stopping the artificial support for 5-10 mins, before plugging it back in again and leaving. The cumulative effects of doing this every day led to higher death rates amongst the occupants.

It was decided that, in future, cleaners who worked on the ICU should be better trained before they were allowed to clean in there. :)

(Nowadays, unplugging a ventilator would set off all sort of alarms, not just from the ventilator but from patient monitoring equipment, of course. But not in the late 60s/early 70s, when there also wasn't a "one nurse per ICU patient at all times" policy.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 7 2009, 4:28 PM GMT

Nowadays, unplugging a ventilator would set off all sort of alarms, not just from the ventilator but from patient monitoring equipment, of course.

Stop raining on my fantasy murder scheme! Angry

The shooter is now at an Army hospital, so maybe the military doctors and nurses might be slow to react to any sign of trouble with their patient.

I just read that one of the survivors was from my hometown in Florida and graduated from my high school.

Quote: DaButt @ November 7 2009, 4:26 PM GMT

A U.S. Army major (he's a psychiatrist) shot and killed 13 people up the road at Fort Hood. Something like 38 people were wounded. The officer just happens to be a Muslim and shouted "Allahu Akbar!" as he mowed down the unarmed soldiers, but of course the media (especially the BBC) and Islamic groups are telling us that he wasn't a terrorist, all soldiers are ticking time bombs, lax gun laws are to blame, etc. I guess they expect us to ignore the reports that he had defended suicide bombers in online forums and frequently referred to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as wars on Islam.

Cripes.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 7 2009, 4:28 PM GMT

On a rather tangential note, ahem... In the early 1970s, at a certain well-known London hospital's Intensive Care Unit, a superstition grew up around the "Bed Of Death". The staff started to notice that patients who were admitted to this slot in the unit always seemed to die. There appeared to be no great correlation between the condition/age/sex/treatment etc of the patients who were put in this bed, but statistically they were more likely to snuff it.

So one of the staff decided to try and get to the bottom of it, keeping a very close eye on anything suspicious happening around the "Bed Of Death". What he/she found that the "Angel Of The Bed Of Death" was, in fact, a newly-employed cleaner.

Every time this new cleaner would come in to clean the Intensive Care Unit, she would have to plug in her floor-buffing machine. What the observer noticed was that she would quite innocently unplug the ventilator (always the socket to this particular bed), thus stopping the artificial support for 5-10 mins, before plugging it back in again and leaving. The cumulative effects of doing this every day led to higher death rates amongst the occupants.

It was decided that, in future, cleaners who worked on the ICU should be better trained before they were allowed to clean in there. :)

(Nowadays, unplugging a ventilator would set off all sort of alarms, not just from the ventilator but from patient monitoring equipment, of course. But not in the late 60s/early 70s, when there also wasn't a "one nurse per ICU patient at all times" policy.)

:D There's something for a dark comedy in that!

A friend of mine went to a bad taste ball many years ago. The idea was you wear lots of out of fashion crappy stuff like shellsuits, kipper ties, etc. Sadly he didn't quite get that meaning of "bad taste" and turned up as Hitler. True story. I wrote a sketch based on this!

Quote: DaButt @ November 7 2009, 4:26 PM GMT

Actually the BBC is the only media outlet I've seen make mention of his being a Muslim - the "elephant in the room". Ok so that was a guest on a live programme rather than a scripted newsreader, but there was no attempt to apologise or otherwise distance the Corporation from the statement.

But yes, they should stop pussy-footing around those kinds of things. It's pathetic, childish, and blocks any possible debate about what 'really' happens in society.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ November 7 2009, 4:38 PM GMT

A friend of mine went to a bad taste ball many years ago. The idea was you wear lots of out of fashion crappy stuff like shellsuits, kipper ties, etc. Sadly he didn't quite get that meaning of "bad taste" and turned up as Hitler. True story. I wrote a sketch based on this!

:D

(I would have thought of something along the lines of Hitler too.)

Quote: DaButt @ November 7 2009, 4:33 PM GMT

The shooter is now at an Army hospital, so maybe the military doctors and nurses might be slow to react to any sign of trouble with their patient.

As army commanders said after years in Northern Ireland and the mess that was the Gibraltar Rock shootings, it's always better to have an alive terrorist than a dead one. I think, whatever your feeling about the alleged perpetrator, the doctors and nurses may be saving future lives by doing their best to keep him alive. Then you have a chance to examine and understand his motives and, just possibly, ways to help prevent this sort of tragedy in the future.

It's a similar kind of thought that I have after every school/campus shooting in the US. If only for once they had caught them before they committed suicide, then there may be a chance to at least build a better understanding of the mindset of such people.

As this alleged culprit will almost certainly be given the death penalty if convicted, then why not get something useful out of him whilst he's still alive? Not that I'm favour of the death penalty, but I thought advocates would prefer him to live and face justice as applied by the State, to die when the State decides?

Reading about the "first responders" actions in this case in the paper today. Kudos to that woman police officer (and the others) who took him down. Hope her and all the injured make good and speedy recoveries.