British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 12

It was an editorial note I was quite surprised to hear one of my characters saying.

That Thora Hird, always improvising...

Laughing out loud

Quote: simon wright @ November 6 2009, 3:26 PM GMT

That Thora Hird, always improvising...

She was the nation's sweetheart during the war. One season of Sitcom Trials and look what happened.

Straight to stairlift adverts...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ November 6 2009, 3:31 PM GMT

Straight to stairlift adverts...

Dan

Those adverts would have been brilliant with the stairlift stuck halfway up and Thora Hird swearing like someone in an Iraqi roadside bombing.

Quote: Griff @ November 6 2009, 3:28 PM GMT

She was the nation's sweetheart during the war. One season of Sitcom Trials and look what happened.

The stuff I read on this forum (see above) is so often wittier than the sitcoms I see on TV.

Why? How can a room full of table writers (in one case) or writing partners honing their lines over months be so often less funny than Marc, Dan and Griff just riffing? Btw by 'riffing' I don't mean they smell. Well, only one of them...

EXT. HELMAND PROVINCE. BOMBS GOING OFF. THERE IS A WHIRRING NOISE.

THORA HIRD COMES SLOWLY INTO SHOT ON STAIRLIFT

THORA:
Stannah can now put these stairlifts anywhere!

BOMB GOES OFF

THORA:
F**kingc**tybollocks! Get me out of this f**king chair!

DISSOLVE TO:

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ November 6 2009, 3:36 PM GMT

EXT. HELMAND PROVINCE. BOMBS GOING OFF. THERE IS A WHIRRING NOISE.

THORA HIRD COMES SLOWLY INTO SHOT ON STAIRLIFT

THORA:
Stannah can now put these stairlifts anywhere!

BOMB GOES OFF

THORA:
F**kingc**tybollocks! Get me out of this f**king chair!

DISSOLVE TO:

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: simon wright @ November 6 2009, 3:35 PM GMT

The stuff I read on this forum (see above) is so often wittier than the sitcoms I see on TV.

Why? How can a room full of table writers (in one case) or writing partners honing their lines over months be so often less funny than Marc, Dan and Griff just riffing? Btw by 'riffing' I don't mean they smell. Well, only one of them...

*blushes*

Problem is all my own scripts usually end up less funny than me talking bollocks on the Internet...

Does anybody know if 'Talking bollocks' really was the male riposte to the Vagina monologues?

Supposed to have been performed at Edinburgh.

Quote: simon wright @ November 6 2009, 3:42 PM GMT

Does anybody know if 'Talking bollocks' really was the male riposte to the Vagina monologues?

Supposed to have been performed at Edinburgh.

If not, somebody *really* needs to write and produce that show. It'd clean up.

As an out of work actor I'd like to volunteer my testicles.

Not one of those phrases I ever imagined saying..

Incidentally, did you notice how 'vagina' is permissible but 'c**t' is not? Why can't we have DH Lawrence as a moderator?

Don't worry Simon, CUNT in upper case is fine.

Excellent! I didn't know that. Have you also noticed that if you get 4 blokes with nothing to do on a Friday afternoon the conversation turns to sex?

That uppercase trick saves me writing 'Sc**thorpe'which as we all know contains a hidden word: Thor the God of thunder.