British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 10

Quote: Fence @ November 1 2009, 11:43 PM GMT

Thanks Declan.
By 'directors' I assume he was talking about at the workshops – but I think the meritocracy message is coming across pretty loud and clear.

I think he means for the actual competition performance.

'What's wrong with my script?'

There are still places left on the workshop on Sat November 7th.

If you're wondering why you weren't accepted this year we may be able to help.

Live sitcom is a strange hybrid of Theatre and Television. Most people haven't seen it. Most people can't write for it. Last year we had over 500 entries and script after script fell into the same (avoidable) traps that meant we couldn't use them. Consequently we weren't choosing scripts from a pile of 530, we were taking them from a much, much smaller pile.

Following Kevin Murphy's excellent suggestion we'll be recording the readings so that you will have a record of exactly where the laughs did/didn't happen. We'll be sending you a recording of all the feedback that you get on the day, too.

Simon
for
Sitcom Mission

We're holding a workshop in Leeds on November 22nd (Sunday) if you're based in the North, or have Northern writer friends send us an email for details.

Simon

Will you be holding a workshop in Birmingham at any time?

Hi Bam!

We're considering doing one in Manchester, but it certainly won't be until next year. No plans to do one in Birmingham as yet, but things can change if we have enough support.

Birmingham to London's not far. At the last workshop in October we had people from Leeds and Glasgow. Allow me to present some of their feedback:

"The cost was too good to be true... I'd just like to thank you for the opportunities you provided and it was worth the travel from Glasgow."

"I travelled 200 miles to the Big Smoke from Leeds and [the workshop] was the only value for money I got all weekend. The feedback from the actors was great. You definitely got the impression they weren't just turning up for a 'job' but were making a genuine effort to give honest and constructive criticism."

We've got spaces available for this Saturday. You can book here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 1 2009, 8:44 PM GMT

Is anybody else here signed up for the Nov 7 workshop apart from Die Hard?

I'm in as well. Wave

Quote: Badge @ November 5 2009, 9:27 PM GMT

I'm in as well. Wave

Sweet. See you Saturday. :)

I've got something written up for this. :)

I'll be entering.

This looks interesting. Anyone had any good / bad experiences from previous years?

It's the first time it's been called Sitcom Mission. But if you search on the forum for Sitcom Trials or Every1s A Critic, you'll find lots of threads discussing the previous versions.

Cheers. I'm guessing the trick is to write something which is essentially a theatre script.

The trick is to follow their guidelines.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/guidelines/

Not quite sure why they say they don't want the first episode, then later say they want something that can be stretched to six episodes. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Quote: theboygazza @ November 6 2009, 11:38 AM GMT

Not quite sure why they say they don't want the first episode, then later say they want something that can be stretched to six episodes. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I think they mean "don't send us an episode which spends all its time setting up the series". Look at the first episode of Fawlty Towers. No long explanation showing Basil taking over the hotel or hiring Manuel, just straight into a story.

Hi guys

The reason we don't want the first episode is because all the producers we saw last time told us they don't want to see the first episode either. They're bored of seeing episode 1 - new person turns up for job etc.

Caroline Raphael, comedy commissioner for Radio 4, told us that the first episode is easy - anyone can write that but can they write episode 5?

So we want to see episode X, without loads of exposition. Just give us enough to tell us where we are, who we're looking at and what their relationships are, and then give us this week's story.

And the reason for wanting a second episode if you make the 32 (maximum) longlist? We want to give our directors and actors the most material to work with before making the cut to the final 16. It's also part of the culling process - you can write one fab episode, but the better writers will write two fab episodes. And they're the ones we want to showcase.

And we also want to work with anyone who wants to improve their writing. There's spaces left on our workshop tomorrow, see the workshops page here for details:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/

Cheers, Declan