British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 9

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 25 2009, 1:47 PM BST

Are the readings taped?

We haven't taped them so far, but we're learning all the time and the workshops are evolving. Next time, if the actors agree, I'll bring along a movie camera and tape the whole reading. Then I'll email it to the writers.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 25 2009, 12:31 PM BST

Just a quickie to thank Simon and Declan for the workshop yesterday. I was quite literally stunned by the quality of writing by everyone on the day. You'd think there would have been a couple of really duff ones, but no, everyone of the buggers had something that was funny, entertaining and worth developing further.

It was also good to see some BCG folks there yesterday - Minty and Jane P mainly - and getting instant feedback from the other writers, the actors and Simon and Declan was immensely beneficial.

Ditto Mr C, and your new sitcom The Paedo Files starring a kitten loving poet was inspired.

As always it was hard work but great fun and I hope those of you going to the next ones find it as rewarding.

Jx

Seriously guys, get yourself booked on this workshop. Great to see Renegade Carpark and Jane P and the other writers.

The actors were great. Very versatile and provided some excellent feedback throughout.

I hear a lot of people stayed until drunk o'clock, shame I had to nip off early.

Keep up the good work Simon and Dec.

Quote: Jane P @ October 26 2009, 9:01 AM BST

As always it was hard work ....

Jx

Hang on, what's this bit about??????

Quote: simon wright @ October 25 2009, 2:24 PM BST

We haven't taped them so far, but we're learning all the time and the workshops are evolving. Next time, if the actors agree, I'll bring along a movie camera and tape the whole reading. Then I'll email it to the writers.

Actually, I just meant audio. I can imagine it would make it a bit easier than taking notes and trying to listen at the same time.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 26 2009, 12:54 PM BST

Actually, I just meant audio. I can imagine it would make it a bit easier than taking notes and trying to listen at the same time.

I only said 'movie camera' to be honest because my little dictaphone has a really feeble battery life. I can hold my breath longer than it can record.

If I film the readings then I can extract the audio to send as a smaller file or even send an emailed movie.

Maybe I should just go out and buy a decent audio recorder. Anybody know of one? Got to have a decent recording time.

... and a non-proprietary format (ie mp3) so that everyone else can listen!

Dan

Hello all

Here's our latest blog. It's brilliant.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/

Cheers, Declan and Simon

Quote: simon wright @ October 27 2009, 12:31 PM BST

I only said 'movie camera' to be honest because my little dictaphone has a really feeble battery life. I can hold my breath longer than it can record.

If I film the readings then I can extract the audio to send as a smaller file or even send an emailed movie.

Maybe I should just go out and buy a decent audio recorder. Anybody know of one? Got to have a decent recording time.

You can use a laptop, Audacity (Free to Download) and a simple microphone

You can record hours and have it plugged in, so no drain on battery and no extra cost. As it records directly into a purpose built audio programme, it is simple to chop down and edit. I use it for podcasting, but would work fine for this sort of thing.

Simon, feel free to PM me if you want to know more, I could even bring the gear along to a workshop, work permitting

Shimples

Minty, that's brilliant. A far better solution than mine.

Thanks.

That is a good idea. I may even bring my own laptop :)

Picking up on Marc's well-reasoned point of 7th October:

Quote: Marc P @ October 7 2009, 11:27 AM BST

Not sure how the bronze and etc different approaches will affect the final selection processes, hard to see how it wouldn't; the more the diectors etc work on a project and see it shaping up as they would like to see it, the more likely they will be to pick it I guess. Seems like human nature.

are you thinking about saving a certain number of spaces for each category of entry; or do you have any other plans for levelling out any possible bias caused by spending more time with some scripts than with others? (I realise it wouldn't be directly in your financial interest but it will presumably lead to a higher standard of entries).

Hi Fence

We won't be using directors until we've chosen the 32 (maximum) scripts, so they won't be making the decisions about which ones go through.

The decision about which sitcoms we'll be showcasing will be based purely on how funny, interesting and marketable they are. If we're inviting industry representatives along and want to make an audience laugh, it's in our interest to showcase the best works possible. Therefore, whether you've chosen the Standard, Bronze, Silver or Gold option will have no bearing on the final decision.

We've already been sent some silver entries which don't currently fit into this category, so, unless they go through a major transformation (which I really hope they do, and our feedback will encourage this) then they won't be in our considerations for the final 32 (maximum).

Of course, if you want to stick a carrier bag full of used fifties in with your entry, the quality ceases to be an issue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Declan

Is anybody else here signed up for the Nov 7 workshop apart from Die Hard?

Quote: Declan @ November 1 2009, 8:29 PM GMT

Of course, if you want to stick a carrier bag full of used fifties in with your entry, the quality ceases to be an issue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Declan

Thanks Declan.
By 'directors' I assume he was talking about at the workshops – but I think the meritocracy message is coming across pretty loud and clear.
If I could spare a carrier bag full of fifties I'd probably use it to satisfy my other urges though.