British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 7

Well you say that Mikey but I had a sitcom about mime artists in the Sitcom Trials 2007. Come to think of it that's probably what's put them off.

Gadzooks it's the prodigal son!

Quote: simon wright @ October 20 2009, 9:38 AM BST

If you're writing for the Sitcom Mission ... As we wrote on our writers guidelines page 'It's so easy to write 'Enter Robin Hood with 5 of his (non-speaking) merry men.' It's practically impossible to cast it.

I'm reminded of the example of the very early script we had, back before The Sitcom Trials, when we were doing a show called Situations vacant, just showcasing sitcoms with no voting element, and we did a lot of round table development. And there was one writer called Darron who had a script called Sisters, all about nuns. The sticking point was that he'd written seven nuns at the centre of the script, along with a pope, some bodyguards, oh way too many to cast. So we suggested, couldn't we lose some nuns? Which elicited the reply:

"I would rather cut off my left arm than lose one of my nuns."

(NB (Name drop spoiler warning) that was the very line I was delivering to judge David Quantick at Monday's Sitcom Trials when we were joined by judge Dave Schneider, who observed it was a very good line on which to join a conversation).

It was as a result of Darron's nuns that the Sitcom Trials established, as part of its entry criteria, a maximum of four characters. This season James is allowing a little leeway, but we seem this week to have stuck to that rule with great success. You also have to bear in mind your venue. I don't know where Sitcom Mission will be staged yet, but if it's as tight for space as the Sitcom Trials venue you don't want your wings filled with walk-ons.

I'm signing up for the workshop on November 7th

Any fellow BSG ers joining me?

With regards the number of characters, I know in the past two-handers have been discouraged - does that still stand?

Hi Dolly

We're not really concerned about the number of characters, as long as they're all (or both) well-written and have distinct personalities. Just make sure each of your characters has a reason to be there and can shine in front of a casting director. The actors will love you for it.

Steptoe And Son is still a classic piece of TV. Ok, it's three characters if you include the horse.

One thing we'd err against is having one character doing stand-up with another giving feed lines, as it just looks like one character doing stand-up with another character giving feed lines.

Hope that helps

And Minty, if you can email us at info@sitcommission.com to reserve a place for Nov 7, then we'll let you know when the payment feature goes live.

Cheers, Declan

Well you say that Mikey but I had a sitcom about mime artists in the Sitcom Trials 2007. Come to think of it that's probably what's put them off.

Hi Griff. Long time no see. I thought you'd been chosen as the next Doctor Who (instead of that Smith chap) and had been in secret rehersals.

Was there any dialogue in your sitcom? Or was it rather like a complex game of charades?

One thing we'd err against is having one character doing stand-up with another giving feed lines, as it just looks like one character doing stand-up with another character giving feed lines.

Bang goes my sitcom about a stand-up guy with a stooge giving feed lines. :P

(scrunch of paper)

Quote: Minty @ October 22 2009, 2:18 PM BST

I'm signing up for the workshop on November 7th

Any fellow BSG ers joining me?

I likely will. The only reason I haven't secured my place yet is that they seem to be selling only Oct 24 workshop tickets at the mo.

I just entered the shit out of this! Any other tough guys want to take me on? Huh?

Erm... no..?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 22 2009, 4:56 PM BST

Erm... no..?

Dan

I thought not! Now get back under the porch, ya whelp!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 22 2009, 2:34 PM BST

Bang goes my sitcom about a stand-up guy with a stooge giving feed lines. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 19 2009, 1:19 PM BST

Bang goes my sketch about David Cameron interviewing a Dalek

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 22 2009, 12:10 AM BST

Bang goes my sitcom about street mime artists. :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 5 2008, 2:51 PM BST

BROWN:
Bang goes spending the summer recess in the Caribbean.

"Baubles, Bang-goes & Beads" :P

We've just had someone pull out of the sitcom workshop on Saturday (yep, this Saturday). So who's up for a place? Find out why you got rejected. If you don't it's a bit like never getting a second date and refusing to invest in a mirror.

OK, it's nothing like that...

First come, first served.

Quote: simon wright @ October 22 2009, 8:06 PM BST

First come, first served.

That's me on a date!

Quote: Morrace @ October 22 2009, 8:26 PM BST

That's me on a date!

('Laughing out loud')