British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 49

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 21 2009, 11:24 AM BST

Has Bum Boys been performed yet? :P

We've saved the best till last, Bumboy won't appear until the final heat on the 9th November

Quote: J'Parker @ October 21 2009, 6:08 PM BST

We've saved the best till last, Bumboy won't appear until the final heat on the 9th November

This sounds like a bit of favouritism to me, J'Parker. Has Bumboy slipped you something?

Just a quick note to announce the line up for the third heat in a couple of weeks time:

Heat 3: November 2nd

* The Spy Who Wrapped Up Warm
by Jim Speirs & Simon Bristoll
Directed by Kym Suttle

* End to End
by Matt Holt, Steve McNeil, and Sam Pamphilon
Directed by Matt Holt

* The Johns
by Hugh Travers
Directed by Sarit Wilson Chen

* The Second Best Job in the World
by Chris Gilgallon
Directed by Francesca Broadfoot

* Lovely Rocks
by John Seymour
Directed by Paul Gannon

Oh Christ, that means my sitcom is up against Bumboys. FML.

Quote: Elise Bramich @ October 22 2009, 12:21 AM BST

Oh Christ, that means my sitcom is up against Bumboys. FML.

At least you didn't say you were up against Bumboys.

Anyway - congrats Elise. :)

Good luck.

Thanks to everyone involved for a brilliant second sellout Sitcom Trials last night. I'll give James the pleasure of announcing the winners, though if anyone's been following my Tweets, hashtag #sitcomtrials which also pop up on the website, you'll already know.

Good to see Declan and Simon there too, cheers guys.

And here's the video diary, Oct 26 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3uKKUtkiE4

includes clips of almost all sitcoms, and results

Last night saw one of the more esoteric line ups for the Sitcom Trials this season, with the frankly astonishing Weathermen going up against half-mute My Sister, the emotional roller-coaster of Therapy, the super-villain antics of Assemblage of Evil, and the characterful Bar Boys.

Last night's judges were uber-producer Bill Dare, Michelle Farr from BBC Three, and Mark, curator of the British Comedy Guide and supreme comedy onion knower. In the end the judges went for Assemblage of Evil (by Joe Deacon, directed by and starring The Unexpected Items) and My Sister (by Robin Bailes, directed by Matt Holt), which go on to take deserving places in the semi finals. Both decisions were echoed in the audience votes, with Assemblage Of Evil snatching first place in the early show and My Sister taking the popular vote in the second.

Thank you to everyone who took part and to those who came along to support the show. We see the Sitcom Trials as a way to showcase talent, not just showcase Sitcoms - and talent was in abundance last night, not only the winners but throughout the lineup, and everyone involved should be immensely proud of their work.

I've updated the video diary from Monday's Sitcom Trials so it now includes a clip from all the sitcoms in contention (there was one missing, now it's sorted)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9uhwzn9as

The thing that's still missing is the interview with judge Bill Dare. Er, I pressed pause instead of record. Oops. See you all next week.

Has Ponderer been on yet. I reckon he'll go through.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ October 29 2009, 11:44 AM BST

No he hasn't. I went to the first two shows and am going again next Monday to support Matt Holt/ Steve McNeil - End to End.

So from my master powers of deduction that will leave Ponderer, Pete Higgins who I know from last time round (and who made it to the finals), Bumboys, Elise and one other for the fourth and final first round.

Good luck G if you're reading this and also Elise who I don't know but hope does well too! :)

Jx

I'm still considering going for Bumboys.

Phew, that was lucky -- took me ages to avoid a potentially embarrassing comment!

Dan

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ronnie -I guess we'll see but I'm ridiculously nervous. As Jane said. I'm bringing up the rear with Bumboys. (Dan made me say that).

Quote: Jane P @ October 29 2009, 11:53 AM BST

Good luck G if you're reading this and also Elise who I don't know but hope does well too! :)

Jx

Thanks Jane. Hopefully it will be as much fun as last time. Best of luck to all involved.

Break a leg Ponderer and let's hope Bumboy doesn't break wind!

Quote: Marc P @ October 29 2009, 12:36 PM BST

Break a leg Ponderer and let's hope Bumboy doesn't break wind!

Thanks Marc. Given the size of the venue I'm hoping nobody breaks wind.

I was impressed by Ponderer's work last time and judging by some of the entries this year, I think he does have a very good chance of succeeding.

That's my long winded way of saying 'Good luck Ponderer'. :)