British Comedy Guide

The BCG lads thread... Page 12

Seriously if one article can leave you annoyed, imagine what it's like having comments made about the way you look from complete strangers on (at least) weekly basis! That's what women have to put up with.

Don't forget that our addiction to technology stretches into the medical field and as a result, we are all living much longer thanks to anti-biotics, pace makers, CAT scans, etc.

Our homes are cleaner, we eat less diseased food and we've not had a proper pan-demic like the Black Plague for hundreds of years.

Infant mortality rates have dropped dramatically along with conditions based upon poor diet, environment, famine, etc. Long gone are the days of having 9 children and only expecting 4 of them to survice to adulthood.

Now if Liz Jones wants to live in a world where people aren't flabby and can run for hundreds of miles at a time, there are certain bits of Africa and the South America she could live in.

But I suspect, she wouldn't want to trade her flabby Western lifestyle to live in the jungle and she certainly wouldn't get a flabby salary for writing absolute bullshit.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 20 2009, 4:03 PM BST

Seriously if one article can leave you annoyed, imagine what it's like having comments made about the way you look from complete strangers on (at least) weekly basis! That's what women have to put up with.

But women also get flattering comments all of the time. And I've seen attractive women get away with things that no man ever could - free train travel, jumping to the head of queues, being let off speeding tickets, being late for work, the list goes on and on.

Throw in the fake waterworks and the menstrual cycle and it's an absolute piss taking liberty. I've even heard of women getting away with criminal acts blaming their hormones.

If you want to use your feminity to gain an unfair advantage, then you can't complain when it comes back to bite you in the arse.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 20 2009, 4:13 PM BST

But women also get flattering comments all of the time. And I've seen attractive women get away with things that no man ever could - free train travel, jumping to the head of queues, being let off speeding tickets, being late for work, the list goes on and on.

Throw in the fake waterworks and the menstrual cycle and it's an absolute piss taking liberty. I've even heard of women getting away with criminal acts blaming their hormones.

If you want to use your feminity to gain an unfair advantage, then you can't complain when it comes back to bite you in the arse.

Agreed my missus went into town for about 2 hours by herself yesterday, 3 men "complimented" her!

1 man bought here a cookie in subway.

1 man passed her in Tesco and said she had a nice smile.

and the other tried chatting her up on the way home!

I need to lock her in a basement me thinks...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 20 2009, 4:03 PM BST

I think the point is that in the media it is acceptable to write sexist nonsense about men but not about women.

Though of course in the real world men continue to be sexist pigs. Mind you when it comes to subjecting women to body fascism other women are as much to blame as men.

Men are subject a degree of body facism, from both women and other men, but it is generally less overt, other than in the case of the rather sad "let's assert our equality by being as objectionable as men" ladette culture.

I've seen attractive women get away with things that no man ever could - free train travel, jumping to the head of queues, being let off speeding tickets, being late for work, the list goes on and on.

Well bully for them! What about the rest of us? :)

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2009, 4:19 PM BST

Well bully for them! What about the rest of us? :)

If looks alone are not enough, try sexual favours. Men might comment on women's appearance but when it comes down to it most are not particularly fussy.

Duly noted. Rolling eyes

Quote: Timbo @ October 20 2009, 4:19 PM BST

I think the point is that in the media it is acceptable to write sexist nonsense about men but not about women.

This is new though and it's a drop in the ocean compared to the sort of crap like fat ugly builders feeling the need to tell you what you look like, women have to put up with.

Quote: zooo @ October 19 2009, 3:31 PM BST

But such sweeping generalisations get made on this very forum practically daily about women and men, so I'm not exactly surprised.

Quote: Timbo @ October 20 2009, 4:22 PM BST

If looks alone are not enough, try sexual favours. Men might comment on women's appearance but when it comes down to it most are not particularly fussy.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 20 2009, 4:25 PM BST

This is new though and it's a drop in the ocean compared to the sort of crap like fat ugly builders feeling the need to tell you what you look like, women have to put up with.

A bit superficial that, Dolly!

you can't complain when it comes back to bite you in the arse.

Quote: Moonstone @ October 20 2009, 4:28 PM BST

A bit superficial that, Dolly!

If they can judge women purely on their bum, tits and legs I can do the same back. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 20 2009, 5:07 PM BST

If they can judge women purely on their bum, tits and legs I can do the same back. :)

Ha!

Sadly though, people make all kinds of jugdments based on beauty and I don't think it'll ever change.

I remember once on the front of a paper was a story about the tragic murder of a beautiful girl. Struck me as really odd that they should focus on her being beautiful in such a context, as if that was the thing that made it tragic, and if she'd been a bit ugly it wouldn't really have mattered as mucn.

Moonstone, please don't put 'Ha!' in your posts, what with your new avatar and such, it really is getting difficult to tell you and zooo apart.

Next you'll be talking about having sex with Aaron.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 20 2009, 5:29 PM BST

Next you'll be talking about having sex with Aaron.

If only you'd been around a bit longer...

It's a good avatar though, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't think anyone should worry about what Ms Jones says, IIRC she's had an eating disorder for a long time, and is probably somewhat skewed in her opinions.