British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 48

Yo Simon!

There might be an unofficial drink up on 5th December full of BCG laden writers. I will keep you informed if such a daring operation were to take place.

If we can organise a venue, who would be up for a sitcom writers networking/piss up?

In an ideal world, a networking event full of not just writers, but directors, producers, TV execs, etc would be excellent.

Quote: simon wright @ October 20 2009, 12:49 AM BST

It was good to meet so many of you tonight.

If we can organise a venue, who would be up for a sitcom writers networking/piss up?

Simon

Sounds good. Count me in.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 20 2009, 12:58 AM BST

Yo Simon!

There might be an unofficial drink up on 5th December full of BCG laden writers. I will keep you informed if such a daring operation were to take place.

Any news on this yet?

Quote: Chappers @ October 20 2009, 1:14 AM BST

Any news on this yet?

As RC only posted that half an hour ago, probably not, Chappers. ;)

Anyone going to the 8.30 show next week? Apart from me, I mean?

I'm not.

It's the Nazi thing, isn't it?

I'm up for a writers' networking thing (assuming it's open to all writers and not just qualifiers).

Can't do the 5th though.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 20 2009, 9:16 AM BST

I'm up for a writers' networking thing (assuming it's open to all writers and not just qualifiers).

Dan

Same here as long as it's a writers social event and not a proper networking thing.

That'll teach me to write clearly. What I had in mind was getting enough comedy writers who fancied a drink and a get together so that I could approach a pub and say 'I can guarantee you 50 people, if you give me a private room.'

I've been to formal networking evenings, and they're awful. My intention was a pre-Christmas piss up that's open to anybody who likes comedy. We've got this wonderful forum, why not use it?

Not on the 5th, though.

Quote: simon wright @ October 20 2009, 10:21 AM BST

That'll teach me to write clearly. What I had in mind was getting enough comedy writers who fancied a drink and a get together so that I could approach a pub and say 'I can guarantee you 50 people, if you give me a private room.'

I've been to formal networking evenings, and they're awful. My intention was a pre-Christmas piss up for like-minded people.

Not on the 5th, though.

Hurrah :D

I'm with you on that Simon! Actors and directors from the trials etc is great but people with badges and business cards * Teary

And if you get enough people you don't need a private room, that makes it a bit formal too. Just turn up en masse to somewhere like the spice of life and you should be alright, splinter groups can then head off to the Coach and Horses or the French House or Grouchos! Cool

Official line:

With two sold out shows, the Sitcom Trials kicked off to a great start last night as five Sitcoms played for the affections of the audience and a panel of invited industry judges.

The two scripts that are going through to the Semi-Finals are:

"Long Term Sick" by Mark Brotherhood and
"Alan Pob: Writing Wrongs" by Saul Wordsworth

With "Writing Wrongs" emerging as winner in both audience votes as well. Congratulations to our winning writers, directors, and casts; and thank you to everyone who took part. It is not necessarily over for the shows that didn't make it, as there is still the chance that shows could make it through to the semi-finals in one of the two wildcard spots.

Unofficial guff:

It was nice to meet several of you last night, chat briefly, and hear some forthright opinions about the show. I would urge everyone to come along and see at least one of the shows, there's a really diverse field of Sitcoms this year, so hopefully there's something for everyone.

This sounds bit like a tedious plug but is a genuine tip: if you are planning on coming, do buy a ticket in advance as last night people had to be turned away. Link via http://www.sitcomtrials.co.uk

J

Video diary from last night's Sitcom Trials, including clips from all sitcoms, and the winners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aubpflpa_Wg

And if you'd been reading our Twitters with the hashtag #sitcomtrials, you'd have read:

Ha-hey! #sitcomtrials is Critics Choice in Time Out http://bit.ly/4rgqGq Oct 19, Leics Sq Theatre

First star-spot of the day, just spoke to Tony Blackburn. #sitcomtrials Pitched show, you never know.

First round of #sitcomtrials won by Alan Pob, on audience vote. Half the judges have voted, 2 to vote.

Alan Pob won 2nd audience vote & is joined in semi finals by Long Term Sick. #sitcomtrials #BBC

Thanks to #sitcomtrials judges. @davidschneider to join judges 4 final.

Awkward Silence - holocaust deniers open a library in Golders Green. #sitcomtrials Pitch Fest winner

Kev F, word to the wise: animated signatures are not allowed on The BCG. :)

Has Bum Boys been performed yet? :P