British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 5

Hi Die Hard,

I believe the closing date for the Sitcom Mission is 31st December, so you have until then to work on your masterpiece.

You could still go on the course but without a script, sit at the back chewing sweets loudly and yell 'boring' whenever someones work is read out. Then when it comes to your turn, just run out of the room screaming 'Tossers!', preferably blowing off as you do so.

Though it might be a waste of 40 squids.

Anyone want to co-operate on one? That's only if you're not already doing your own.

I need something to make it funny.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 15 2009, 11:20 AM BST

Hi Die Hard,

I believe the closing date for the Sitcom Mission is 31st December, so you have until then to work on your masterpiece.

You could still go on the course but without a script, sit at the back chewing sweets loudly and yell 'boring' whenever someones work is read out. Then when it comes to your turn, just run out of the room screaming 'Tossers!', preferably blowing off as you do so.

Though it might be a waste of 40 squids.

Well RC, I do like sweets and blowing off so it is tempting, (and considering the utter shite I've written tonight I am likely wasting 40 squids regardless). If we don't hear anything on alternative dates soon then what the hell I'll be at the back with a bag of sherbet lemons, popcorn to throw, and I'll see you there. …I'm still wearing the dressing gown though, it's comfy.

...if either Simon or Declan is reading this thread, I'd just like to say that I won't be doing that, obviously. I'm actually very well-behaved and keen and only very rarely do I write utter shite... Angelic

Quote: Chappers @ October 15 2009, 4:52 PM BST

Anyone want to co-operate on one? That's only if you're not already doing your own.

I need something to make it funny.

Maybe I could work with you on this instead of the play idea which seems to be pretty much dead?
Pirate

Hi guys

Sorry to have been quiet on here the last few days and to have left questions unanswered.

Tentative days we have for workshops are

Saturday 7 November
Saturday 28 November
Saturday 5 December

We just need to confirm with the venue, which we'll do on Monday. At that point, you'll be able to pay from the link on www.sitcommission.com to secure a place, which are limited to ten per workshop. We'll post back here as soon as we've confirmed.

In answer to other questions:

We will indeed be able to have tables and chairs on stage.

As for lighting rigs - yikes, technical question! What worked best for us in the past was 'fade up and fade down'. Anything beyond that can be worked out at the tech with the director and stage manager. We can also do lighting effects to imply being at a disco/nightclub/rave/whatever young people call it these days.

And can I go on record to say that Paul Mayhew-Archer is one of the most generous and encouraging people working in the profession these days.

And good luck and have fun to everyone involved in The Sitcom Trials this coming Monday and throughout their run.

Cheers, Declan

Hello Declan,

May I just ask what age the intended actors are likely to be? Or can you cast to fit the scripts that go through?

Thanks, J.

Hi jacaprov

The actors are cast to suit the roles. It's just as much of a showcase for them as it is for the writers, and in the last round of The Sitcom Trials, many actors went on to get new agents from their performances.

The only thing we can't do is supply child actors, so best not to have any kids in your sitcom.

I understand why there's a no kids rule, but could you have a child role played by an adult?

Hi Badge

I think this one depends on the circumstances. It's going to be difficult to get someone to play an eight-year-old, but a 16-year-old might be able to pass for an 11-year-old.

However, seeing as the actor involved probably will never be cast as an 11-year-old in anything else, would they want to invest their time and effort showcasing their talents as something that's surplus to requirements?

But if you can get Jimmy Krankie, then go for it.

Cheers, Declan

Ok, thanks. Problem is I think Jimmy can only do a Scottish accent, so I might have to rewrite.

The workshop on the 24th October is now fully booked.

Simon

Thanks for all the updated info. :)

I don't want to derail this thread with stupid noob questions, but I'm wondering what format this kind of script should be written in.

TV or stage? It's kinda both, right?

I've never written for stage before. Should I be putting lighting cues and such in this thing, or is that best left to a director?

Thank you for all the updates and info so far. I too would like to ask 'stupid noob' questions (although I've been on here a while now sooo…)

•If I want to select 'gold entry' how soon do I need to submit my entry to ensure a place on one of the workshops?

•Does my entry need to be 100% polished on booking the workshop or can it be 98% there as long as it's 100% by the workshop date?

Please explain it to me as though I were a little bit thick because …well, because I am.

Many thanks

Sorry if I've missed this, but what's the rule regarding small/non speaking parts? I'd assume they're not welcomed. Huh?