British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 3

Dolly's right; we do want to deter non-serious entrants, but we also want to raise the stakes. We could do Sitcom Mission just as we did the Sitcom Trials last year, but the response that we had from industry (both at the time and in subsequent meetings), convinced us that we could make this so much bigger and better.

Bigger and better costs money. We want to make sure that everything that the judges see is as finely honed as it possibly can be. We worked with some excellent directors last time and we want that to continue. We can't offer directors much (yet) but if the difference between getting your script directed by a professional experienced in sitcom and getting it directed by a friend or one of the actors then isn't that worth investing in? It's an annual competition. Get it wrong just once, and you've a whole year to wait before it comes round again.

We realise that any sort of fee smacks of a scam. This isn't, it's a chance to make it better.

Let's have your feedback. We don't think we can take this to the next level without investment. The choice seems fairly clear to us: stay at this level (no fees) or, for very little, move up?

Simon

I think you have the right of the matter Simon. It's a one off fee, minimum of five and maximum of forty. It's not like there's an option attached. :) If a script is selected for performance would the writer be allowed to suggest or contribute actors etc as I believe happened in the Trials?

Quote: simon wright @ October 7 2009, 7:52 PM BST

Dolly's right; we do want to deter non-serious entrants, but we also want to raise the stakes. We could do Sitcom Mission just as we did the Sitcom Trials last year, but the response that we had from industry (both at the time and in subsequent meetings), convinced us that we could make this so much bigger and better.

Bigger and better costs money. We want to make sure that everything that the judges see is as finely honed as it possibly can be. We worked with some excellent directors last time and we want that to continue. We can't offer directors much (yet) but if the difference between getting your script directed by a professional experienced in sitcom and getting it directed by a friend or one of the actors then isn't that worth investing in? It's an annual competition. Get it wrong just once, and you've a whole year to wait before it comes round again.

We realise that any sort of fee smacks of a scam. This isn't, it's a chance to make it better.

Let's have your feedback. We don't think we can take this to the next level without investment. The choice seems fairly clear to us: stay at this level (no fees) or, for very little, move up?

Simon

PS

Re the second episode what is the turn around time for that to be written and which one will be performed? Was a bit confused about this issue.

Cheers
Marc

And what would the second episode be used for?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 8 2009, 3:06 PM BST

And what would the second episode be used for?

Toilet paper?

Quote: don rushmore @ October 8 2009, 3:07 PM BST

Toilet paper?

Virtual toilet paper (aren't scripts to be emailed)?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 8 2009, 3:11 PM BST

Virtual toilet paper (aren't scripts to be emailed)?

I haven't read the rules. Are you entering a script?

Quote: don rushmore @ October 8 2009, 3:13 PM BST

I haven't read the rules. Are you entering a script?

If I have time. Are you?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 8 2009, 3:14 PM BST

If I have time. Are you?

Maybe; anything that brings me closer to you, has to be worth a go. ;)

Have I got this right? The first 'episode' gets you selected but the second 'episode'is the one that's staged.

QUOTE FROM THE RULES: "The selection panel will select a shortlist of up to 32 scripts. The writers of those scripts will then be given two weeks to provide a second 15-minute episode of the sitcom. That episode will then be assigned a director and a cast, and then go into a one-day workshop with the writer. After the one-day workshop, the cast will then present the episode to the selection panel, who will decide on the 16 scripts to go through to the public and industry showcase."

Presumably yes, the second episode is staged in the live events.
But can we have some clarification please?

Quote: don rushmore @ October 8 2009, 3:18 PM BST

Maybe; anything that brings me closer to you, has to be worth a go. ;)

If you do write anything I'd be interested to see it. :)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 8 2009, 7:53 PM BST

QUOTE FROM THE RULES: "The selection panel will select a shortlist of up to 32 scripts. The writers of those scripts will then be given two weeks to provide a second 15-minute episode of the sitcom. That episode will then be assigned a director and a cast, and then go into a one-day workshop with the writer. After the one-day workshop, the cast will then present the episode to the selection panel, who will decide on the 16 scripts to go through to the public and industry showcase."

Presumably yes, the second episode is staged in the live events.
But can we have some clarification please?

Yes, could that just be a re-working of the original script?

Where Sitcom Mission differs from our last outing, is that we want writers to have more input. Previously we just provided a platform for a work that was effectively 'finished'. Now we want writers, directors and actors to pool their talents to hone a script so that it's as ready as it can be when all those production companies turn up.

So, the answer to Marc P's question 'would the writer be able to suggest or contribute actors...?' is yes, of course. It's very much in the spirit of Sitcom Mission that the writer's work doesn't end when he/she presses the send button.

To (not) answer Mikey Jackson's point about the second ep: we realise that this is contentious and confusing at the moment, so watch this space for a more coherent post that should explain things a lot more clearly.

Simon

OK, cheers.

If I may make a suggestion, it might be an idea for the "second episodes" to be shown in the grand final. (obviously only those that make it to the final)
Which gives going to the final more appeal. "Watch new episodes of the final selection."

Some people might not bother coming to a final if they've already seen all the finalists' sitcoms already during the previous rounds. It would be like the X Factor live shows having the finalists singing all the same songs on every show.

Just a thought.

Sorry for any misunderstanding regarding the second episode.

The shortlisted candidates will be given two weeks to produce a second 15-minute episode, so that the assigned director has twice as much content to work with. The episode to be shown to the judging panel could be the first episode, the second episode or a combination of the two. It just gives us, the director, the writer and the actors the chance to present the best material we can collectively come up with.

If you've written something you think is funny, interesting, with well-rounded characters who produce plotlines by the dozen, then writing a second episode isn't going to be a Herculean task - it's going to be a joy. If you can't come up with a second 15-minute episode, then you've helped us with our selection process. Remember, this only applies to the (maximum) 32 writers who have made the shortlist.

Regarding using the second episode in the Grand Final. We thought about this, the problems are twofold. There's a lot of rehearsal time used up for actors and directors who all usually have other jobs to do, so getting them in one place is a nightmare in itself, so best not to if not needed.

The other thing is, what do you do about that week's 'guest characters'? If Marjorie appears in episode 1, but doesn't appear in episode 2, she's not going to be too happy about being left out of the Grand Final, especially if it was her sparkling performance which helped get the show in the first place.

But it was a good idea which we can suggest to writers and directors, but we couldn't legislate and make it a requisite.

All sounds fair to me - I'd rather pay a fee upfront than be worrying about option clauses later on.

Last time round we had to write a second episode and although it wasn't used because of the reasons Declan's just outlined, I found it a useful exercise.

At the moment though I'd just like to get my new first episode sorted!

I'm looking forward to seeing how The Mission develops, so good luck all round.

:)