British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 84

Peter Kay - Saturday Night Peter

He does have a knack for shit titles, doesn't he?

Why doesn't Peter Kay concentrate on making some new decent comedy (he hasn't done any since Phoenix Nights) rather than just concentrating on money-making schemes? I'm starting to suspect that he has far less fuel in his comedy tank than his previous work suggested.

Captain Britain vol. 3 : The Lion and the Spider

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 7 2009, 8:39 AM BST

He does have a knack for shit titles, doesn't he?

Why doesn't Peter Kay concentrate on making some new decent comedy (he hasn't done any since Phoenix Nights) rather than just concentrating on money-making schemes? I'm starting to suspect that he has far less fuel in his comedy tank than his previous work suggested.

Yes, but as you yourself mentioned on another thread about something else, writers and performers have a shelf life in terms of being funny. Perhaps he's just had his time? But I agree, I long to see him in something of the calibre of the series of mockumentaries he started out with.

Martin Chuzzlewit, and really enjoying it. Quite funny too in places.
It's weird seeing the word 'nigger' appear in a victorian novel though.

Dickens does character so so well, I bet if he'd been born in our time he'd be a great sitcom writer.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, to be followed by Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Yes, I go in for the deep stuff.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ October 7 2009, 2:37 PM BST

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, to be followed by Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Yes, I go in for the deep stuff.

Do they work as books in their own right?

Quote: chipolata @ October 7 2009, 2:38 PM BST

Do they work as books in their own right?

Yes, they are actually pretty funny so far. Great artwork throughout as well.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ October 7 2009, 2:37 PM BST

A girl at my uni's boyfriend goes to Leicester to study English Lit., and has to study the former as part of his course. The girl was very annoyed about this. "It's not even in comparison to the Austen!"

What about that new Dracula sequel by Dacre Stoker, Bram Stoker's great nephew (or something)? The world's going crazy! :O

Blood Work by Mark Pearson.

Quote: Loopey @ October 7 2009, 5:16 PM BST

Blood Work by Mark Pearson.

:O

That means six people have read it now!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ October 7 2009, 4:55 PM BST

A girl at my uni's boyfriend goes to Leicester to study English Lit., and has to study the former as part of his course. The girl was very annoyed about this. "It's not even in comparison to the Austen!"

Anything has to be better than Pride and Prejudice. What a terrible read.

Quote: chipolata @ October 7 2009, 4:57 PM BST

What about that new Dracula sequel by Dacre Stoker, Bram Stoker's great nephew (or something)? The world's going crazy! :O

Cool! Do you know anything else about the book? Title?

Quote: Curt @ October 7 2009, 5:24 PM BST

Cool! Do you know anything else about the book? Title?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/dacre-stoker/