British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 42

Is your one actually about trainspotters? :)

My entry last year was called trainspotting as it was set in a railway station.

No-one in the play was actually spotting trains. Or doing copious amounts of heroin. We had to write 2 episodes although the second was never used.

Quote: Ponderer @ September 22 2009, 9:56 AM BST

:D :O

Thanks Steve. If I'm around I'll buy you a pint - and you can finally give me your thoughts on episode 2 of trainspotting. Whistling nnocently

:$ :$ :$

My bad!
Grammar

My entry last year was called trainspotting as it was set in a railway station.

No-one in the play was actually spotting trains. Or doing copious amounts of heroin. We had to write 2 episodes although the second was never used.

Oh right. Has it evolved into a script series now then?

Trainspotting is actually a good title. :)

Those ST finalists' scripts might be funny and well written, but I fear they suffer from "cringingly awful titles syndrome."

I think title is important. It's the first thing anyone sees, whether it be a producer or, if you're lucky, a viewer casting an eye over the listings in Radio Times.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 22 2009, 9:23 PM BST

I think title is important. It's the first thing anyone sees, whether it be a producer or, if you're lucky, a viewer casting an eye over the listings in Radio Times.

What was the title of your entry Mikey?

Quote: Marc P @ September 22 2009, 9:47 PM BST

Wasn't it Bumboy? :)

Quote: Marc P @ September 22 2009, 9:47 PM BST

Ironically, Cringingly Awful-Titled Sitcom!

Dan

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 22 2009, 9:23 PM BST

Oh right. Has it evolved into a script series now then?

Trainspotting is actually a good title. :)

Those ST finalists' scripts might be funny and well written, but I fear they suffer from "cringingly awful titles syndrome."

It is presently evolving. I'm a slow worker.

I've never been happy with the title of anything I've written, no matter what I think of the content. No idea why.

I thought several of the titles sounded good but that's probably just writers paranoia. :(

Wasn't it Bumboy?

Ironically, Cringingly Awful-Titled Sitcom!

Aghhh, you beat me to those replies. :P

I didn't enter anything as, like you Mr P, I was awaiting that dreaded option clause answer.
By the time it was sorted, I didn't get time to knock anything up as I was working on other projects.

I don't see much wrong with the titles of those chosen. Fawlty Towers is a pretty corny title if you haven't seen it. The Simpsons seems really bland on title alone - must be crap, right? I hope and expect that the finalists will live or die on their content rather than their title. And if they are good their title will work and make sense anyway.

* Imagines 1970s BCG thread: "Porridge? What the f**k is that? Is it about some Scottish geezers having breakfast? What are they thinking of?" *

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 23 2009, 12:07 AM BST

I didn't enter anything as, like you Mr P, I was awaiting that dreaded option clause answer.
By the time it was sorted, I didn't get time to knock anything up as I was working on other projects.

That's a rather poor show Mikey. We had a day or so. so I put aside my novel [Flashpoint by Linda Barnes] and knuckled down to it. :D

That's a rather poor show Mikey. We had a day or so. so I put aside my novel (Flashpoint by Linda Barnes) and knuckled down to it.

Yes, I suppose, but that day or so included Friday and Saturday nights where I was out boozing. :P

Also, I'd planned to adapt on of my current sitcom scripts, but they were all currently "out there" with producers or "being considered for option" and all that bollocks, and, as such, I didn't want to compromise them.

And...

Porridge. Comes from the term "doing porridge" as in a prison sentence.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 23 2009, 2:19 PM BST

Yes, I suppose, but that day or so included Friday and Saturday nights where I was out boozing. :P

Also, I'd planned to adapt on of my current sitcom scripts, but they were all currently "out there" with producers or "being considered for option" and all that bollocks, and, as such, I didn't want to compromise them.

And...

Porridge. Comes from the term "doing porridge" as in a prison sentence.

It wouldn't have compromised them, gives producers a chance to see how your stuff works in front of a live audience for free. It would have helped if anything. Assuming the audience laughed mind.

:)

On the whole titles thing surely Bumboy has to be one of the best titles of any sitcom ever because I am pretty certain it will be one those of you who are going will most want to see (apart from Ponderer for obvious reasons).

I know I personally am interesting in seeing bumboy. I never thought I'd say that.