British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 24

Quote: Adam Blaize @ September 5 2009, 8:47 PM BST

Just re-submitted our script entry with a brief synopsis at the top. The time for choices is getting closer.

I don't think they want lots of re-submissions, a script after all should be the thing in and of itself, everything else is a Barrister defending it at court.

Felt it was the best thing to do, since Kev F advised it on this forum

Quote: Adam Blaize @ September 5 2009, 8:52 PM BST

Felt it was the best thing to do, since Kev F advised it on this forum

I've been served.

Probably. Or probably not. But maybe not? Well actually. No, definitely. Perhaps, probably.

I just sent my script with nothing else. It was quite obvious from the script I think.

I know this is very late in the day (only found out about the competition last week) but what is the best way to separate the 10 min script and the pay-off. Do we simply add in a note - ad-break - or leave a blank page?

Yes that is a good question.

Just write it as one script. The cliffhanger should be self-evident.

Why are people getting so caught up in the script layout? All anybody wants is a readable, enjoyable, funny script. As long as it's not in yellow comic sans, highlighted in yellow with yellow background, I doubt they're going to get too hung up about it.

If your script is funny and good enough, it'll get picked out, regardless of format.

Dan

Personally I've done a new page for every scene anyway, that's just habit, and I've written 'pay off scene' at top of that page.

I'll probably add in a new heading for the pay-off. Thanks for the replies.

I just wrote the cliffhanger ending as the end of a scene and the next scene the beggining of the payoff.

If you get chosen do you have to go down to London? I'm just wondering since I probably would want to go but if I couldn't would it mean I'd have to pull out?

I think others have said that they didn't turn up to previous shows but still went through to the next round. I can't believe that being or not being there in person makes a difference to the result in any way. Obviously most of us would want to be there if we could.

As someone who's been through the process before, it is vital if you can make it down to London at least a couple of times before your sitcom is performed to attend the rehearsals.

It is amazing how a director and actors can misconstrue the nuances of your work. But more importantly, the director or actor might make suggestions which sharpen up the dialogue of your script.

You should also try to get down to see your script performed on the night and to see the other finalists work. It is an invaluable learning experience (and a good night including subsequent piss up).

If you're worried about finances, then don't worry, I'm sure you can sell illegal drugs to children in your town quite easily. Just don't get caught by the police, as it can be embarrassing.

Good luck!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 6 2009, 2:23 AM BST

But more importantly, the director or actor might make suggestions which sharpen up the dialogue of your script.

Angry
:D

Thank you carpark, that's very helpful to know. Proper rehearsals, script workthroughs? This is in danger of being proper well organised event then.

What would you say was the main makeup of the audience, btw? Did you sense it was mostly writers with an entry themselves or was there a good sprinkling of committed comedy club goers there for the pure enjoyment? I have this strange image in my head of a load of self interested writers trying not to laugh at any other piece but their own, should it help them get chosen over theirs. Could be an interesting experience actually just to see what it is like.