British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Saturday!

Hi Everyone, Wave

We're having another Sitcom Saturday :), six directed rehearsed readings of brand new 15-minute sitcoms, on Saturday, December 5 in London's West End.

That means we need six brand new 15-minute scripts!

Script submissions will be accepted between Monday September 7 and Sunday September 20 2009. Have a look at the events page of RealDeal Theatre at http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk for more details - please follow the guidelines. We'll be posting more details of where to email scripts nearer the time. You can also see photos of our last event on the website in the Photo Gallery.

Put a Smile On Your Face With Sitcom Saturday :)

Ooh, ta. Thanks for that.
Good to have plenty of notice too.

Might have a bash at this if I get time.

Quote: Rhubarb @ July 15 2009, 2:46 PM BST

Ooh, ta. Thanks for that.
Good to have plenty of notice too.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 15 2009, 11:34 PM BST

Might have a bash at this if I get time.

Hope you and others will have a go! And that you're having a good summer! :)

Hi Everyone, :)

We now have an email address for scripts - scripts@realdealtheatre.org.uk which you can send to us between September 7 and September 20 !

Before you send, please make sure you've followed the guidelines at www.sitcomsaturday.org.uk !

And have a good bank holiday! :D :)

superb stuff, shall defiantly be sending in a script!

Quote: gregory akerman @ August 30 2009, 3:23 PM BST

superb stuff, shall defiantly be sending in a script!

Hey Gregory,

It may have been a typo but you defiantly sending in a script sounds just so much more picturesque ;) :D

http://www.sitcomsaturday.org.uk

This is all sounds good but I can't see anything on your links about what's actually in it for the writer, Goldnutmeg. I like the idea, I like the criteria you've set out for submissions, but I'm not sure about doing all this just to have the thing read out, as we can do that ourselves. There seems to be no competition element to it, or have I missed something. You'll read out the ones you like but then what? Do you work as a production company that will take the scripts on or are you agents or are you performers looking for new material to stage (in the theatre)? I haven't caught on to what your role in this is or to what the purpose of it all is, and ofcourse the potential rewards. Perhaps you could fill us in please. Ta.
Mr Kipper

Does this clash with the Sitcom Trials or is it like an old fashioned accounting system?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2009, 10:21 AM BST

This is all sounds good but I can't see anything on your links about what's actually in it for the writer, Goldnutmeg. I like the idea, I like the criteria you've set out for submissions, but I'm not sure about doing all this just to have the thing read out, as we can do that ourselves. There seems to be no competition element to it, or have I missed something. You'll read out the ones you like but then what? Do you work as a production company that will take the scripts on or are you agents or are you performers looking for new material to stage (in the theatre)? I haven't caught on to what your role in this is or to what the purpose of it all is, and ofcourse the potential rewards. Perhaps you could fill us in please. Ta.
Mr Kipper

Having your work performed in front of an impartial audience (i.e not your mum and your deaf granny) is a great way to see what works and what doesn't - especially if you're interested in writing studio based sitcom.

Of course you could arrange something yourself to get a group of punters in to hear a reading of your work, but it's a lot easy for someone else do it for you. :)

Alfred J Kipper wrote: This is all sounds good but I can't see anything on your links about what's actually in it for the writer, Goldnutmeg. I like the idea, I like the criteria you've set out for submissions, but I'm not sure about doing all this just to have the thing read out, as we can do that ourselves. There seems to be no competition element to it, or have I missed something. You'll read out the ones you like but then what? Do you work as a production company that will take the scripts on or are you agents or are you performers looking for new material to stage (in the theatre)? I haven't caught on to what your role in this is or to what the purpose of it all is, and ofcourse the potential rewards. Perhaps you could fill us in please. Ta.
Mr Kipper

Dolly Dagger wrote: Having your work performed in front of an impartial audience (i.e not your mum and your deaf granny) is a great way to see what works and what doesn't - especially if you're interested in writing studio based sitcom.

Of course you could arrange something yourself to get a group of punters in to hear a reading of your work, but it's a lot easy for someone else do it for you. :)

Hi Mr Kipper and Dolly,

All that Dolly has said applies (thanks, Dolly! :) ) and more ... We're more like a new writing group thrown open to a public audience than a judged competition, although we obviously have to choose scripts. What does a writer gain from this? For some writers, it is their first taste of working with a director and it is a relaxed environment for this introduction. And of course it's a script development tool. It's also a social event - a chance for the audience, writers, directors and actors to mingle on the library floor. Everyone involved can also keep in touch after the event and link up with possible collaborators afterwards across all sitcoms. As it's in a library and a free event, we also get an interesting audience cross section.

Marc P wrote: Does this clash with the Sitcom Trials or is it like an old fashioned accounting system?

Our next dates were fixed immediately after the last May Sitcom Saturday event so our proximity is wholly coincidental and before we knew Sitcom Trials (ST) would be holding another event this year. For our first event, with very little notice of the event and a short time window for scripts, we received over 60 scripts and chose six scripts, all different from ST finalists. Interestingly, during Sitcom Saturday's career, while we have had one writer who overlapped with ST (a past finalist), so far we seem to have covered another complementary writing constituency.

Quote: Goldnutmeg @ September 5 2009, 7:21 PM BST

Marc P wrote: Does this clash with the Sitcom Trials or is it like an old fashioned accounting system?

Our next dates were fixed immediately after the last May Sitcom Saturday event so our proximity is wholly coincidental and before we knew Sitcom Trials (ST) would be holding another event this year. For our first event, with very little notice of the event and a short time window for scripts, we received over 60 scripts and chose six scripts, all different from ST finalists. Interestingly, during Sitcom Saturday's career, while we have had one writer who overlapped with ST (a past finalist), so far we seem to have covered another complementary writing constituency.

So to clarify: Does this clash with the Sitcom Trials or is it like an old fashioned accounting system?

Double entry if it helps.

Just wondered if anyone who going to on the day if they could take an overdue book back for me. There may be a small fine, nothing serious. Its called "The wheel and how to use it".
Cheers

Quote: Marc P @ September 5 2009, 8:36 PM BST

So to clarify: Does this clash with the Sitcom Trials or is it like an old fashioned accounting system?

Double entry if it helps.

Yeah, I knew you were talking about double entry bookkeeping but it sounded like a rhetorical question to me for the gag which you've now confirmed ... :D We considered the situation but felt it was too much faff to start setting stipulations about scripts that had been entered for ST, especially as we've had scripts previously which haven't crossed ST's path ...

Put A Smile On Your Face With Sitcom Saturday :)

Quote: Goldnutmeg @ September 5 2009, 9:23 PM BST

Yeah, I knew you were talking about double entry bookkeeping but it sounded like a rhetorical question to me for the gag which you've now confirmed ... :D We considered the situation but felt it was too much faff to start setting stipulations about scripts that had been entered for ST, especially as we've had scripts previously which haven't crossed ST's path ...

Put A Smile On Your Face With Sitcom Saturday :)

You got any saucy birds doing the reading then?

Tim Walker

:D

Damn my avatar stayed the same.