British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 23

Quote: earman2009 @ September 4 2009, 7:40 PM BST

Two days left and I can't get in touch with my partner! :O Not good. I might have to finish it off myself!

And how's the script going?

I could have worded that sentence a bit better and made it clear that I was refering to a script writing partner! Ha! I have found him since that post and our script will be ready for sunday, hurrah! :)

Quote: earman2009 @ September 4 2009, 9:54 PM BST

I have found him since that post and will be ready for sunday, hurrah! :)

:O

I'm out! :P

I've made my entry with a little help from my friend!

Morning. Just a quicky about titles and cast notes. I've put the title of the sitcom on mine but not the episode title, this sound right? Cast notes, a brief list of the characters' looks and personalities. I know that some producers like to just find this out themselves from the writing but in such a short piece this won't be that easy for them. I feel I've had to do a brief list of their traits, ages and dress styles on the front page. My only fear is that some reader naturally opposed to this listing thing may chuck it immediately after finding no sitcom action on the first page. I'm sure they won't, but it's surprising what you find to worry about when examining your piece.

'I've just examined my piece while lying in bed and found plenty to worry aboud. Hardy har.

I thought all you need to send them was the script. Then send any synopses after they ask for them.

Weren't we supposed to just send in our script? It didn't say anything about a synopsis or a character list

Any people who are worrying about script format and details like whether you have to include synopsis and character details, don't fret. Just keep your presentation simple and tell the script readers all they'll need to know to be able to stage your script.

So it's useful to list the characters at the top, and it's useful to give a brief precis of who the characters are and where it's set. Give as much information as will render your script intelligible and readable, and the script should then stand on its own feet.

Having been a script reader for the BBC's sitcom competition in 2000, I saw some entries that were amazingly badly presented. Some were so badly laid out they might as well have been written in crayon, but still we read them. There may be a diamond in the rough, so script readers have to persevere.

Obviously, though, you'll win Brownie points and a more sympathetic reading if you make their job easier. And, by the way, James is the adjudicator on this, I'm just popping in a personal insight here. I'm not reading a single script, as a matter of policy, just thinking of others.

Kev F

Just a quick question. If anyone gets there script staged, will they be going to see it?

I would like to but don't think its possible for me.

Quote: Cliff @ September 5 2009, 6:55 PM BST

Just a quick question. If anyone gets there script staged, will they be going to see it?

I would like to but don't think its possible for me.

Depends how much the tickets are.

Our main problem is going to be getting there. We live in Manchester and Stoke, so if we progress, it'll cost us a lot to get to and from London each time. Plus, I'd have to alternate it around work, but I am definitely gonna try to go if we are picked.

Quote: Adam Blaize @ September 5 2009, 8:40 PM BST

Our main problem is we live in Manchester and Stoke.

Try and make your comedy universal and don't put yourselves down.

:D

Just re-submitted our script entry with a brief synopsis at the top. The time for choices is getting closer.