British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 22

Ah the writing partnership, good idea Adam, how successful have they been in britcom history!!! I might invent another name to put alongside mine on the script in the hope that the glorious mythology it conjurs up might sway their decision.

Well good luck to everyone who's entered or about to enter. Perhaps we'll meet up at one of the shows, that's if I'm lucky enough to get picked, as I presume that must be hard enough on its own. BTW, do successful entrants get free tickets to see their own shows, Mr Parker? Well no harm in asking, surely.

THE SITCOM TRIALS OPTION CLAUSE

Hi all,

I'm fresh from my meeting with the Leicester Square Theatre, and the news about the Sitcom Trials Option Clause is... there is no option clause. Talking through all the permutations, we realised it was too complex a thing to tie everyone's hands from the start, so the situation is that everyone will enter their scripts with no terms and conditions imposed.

The onus is on us, The Sitcom Trials & Leicester Square Theatre, if we wish to make an offer to an individual writer or for a particular script, then we will make that offer on the same terms as any other production company or broadcaster, and the writer's relationship would then be the same as with any other company, ie they can negotiate over that offer. Any offer we might make would not affect any contributor's entry in the Sitcom Trials competition.

The LCT is in discussion with independent producers and it is likely any offer we make would be in partnership with such a company. Another carrot that we hope to dangle is the LA Sitcom Trials, which Martin and I are putting together with the Geffen Theatre in Westwood LA. The finalists will have the chance of having their work showcased in this LA show, to take place during Pilot Season between March and May 2010. This is still to be finalised, but we hope to be able to announce details soon.

I hope this puts your minds at ease about anything that might have caused you to hesitate in entering the Sitcom Trials. In short, terms & conditions for the 10th Anniversary Season of the Sitcom Trials are no different than the last season, all that has changed is the script format.

Any questions I, or James, will answer (depending on whose job it is to do so - James runs the show, I just lurk in the background appearing to cause problems!)

Have a good weekend everyone

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials

Ahh, Marc P can rest easy! :D ;)

And......... relax.

Well done Kev!

:D

You better ****** win after all that, Marc P!

Quote: Leevil @ September 4 2009, 1:16 PM BST

You better ****** win after all that, Marc P!

LOL,

Well it's a bit late to write something now!

Laughing out loud

Is it? I was just going to start mine today.

ushes luck]

In the past, I've written scripts within days, but I doubt I'll get anything done before Sunday, especially as Friday and Saturday night, I like to get pissed.

I could convert an existing project, but most of them are in producers bins hands.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 4 2009, 2:35 PM BST

In the past, I've written scripts within days.

I still do! ;)

We can't tell ;) :O

Blimey, Marc. They must give you bloomin' strict deadlines.

"Mr P, we'd like an entire year's supply of Holby please... on my desk by tomorrow morning. Now run along."

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 4 2009, 2:42 PM BST

Blimey, Marc. They must give you bloomin' strict deadlines.

"Mr P, we'd like an entire year's supply of Holby please... on my desk by tomorrow morning. Now run along."

Well it's not like proper writing is it?

Laughing out loud

Yeah, it's always better to write with someone else. Having someone there to bounce ideas off of is a much more enjoyable experience. The chances are that if two or three people find something funny, other people out there might find the idea funny.

Our format for the script is one setting. Hopefully, if we are successful, we will be able to work with the directors to work on stage directions and scene layout.

Well it's not like proper writing is it?

>_<

:P

:D

Two days left and I can't get in touch with my writing partner! :O Not good. I might have to finish it off myself!