British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 84

Less?!?!? Bloomin' heck!

Ta btw

Dan

I seem to remember R4 being about the same. I think the difference is that R4 pay for broadcast and first repeat whereas digital is more likely to be a one-off payment only with no repeat fees.

That's just an opinion though.

I seem to be on a higher rate for Radio 4 then I was. I believe if you get a certain amount on your rate goes up. Possibly the same for BBC Radio 7

I'm pretty sure that it's higher both for commissioned writers and also once - as Yakob says - you get a certain amount of stuff recorded. No idea what the latter limit is, but fingers crossed it is once you get paid for more than 7 mins across all BBC channels...

Got two phone-book size BBC writing contracts through the door this morning. I made £70, I think. Woot! Take that, license fee!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 28 2009, 9:42 AM BST

Got two phone-book size BBC writing contracts through the door this morning. I made £70, I think. Woot! Take that, license fee!

Well done. Pleased

Can any RFTP-er (or other Radio 4 non-comm) confirm what the Radio 4 rate is? I suspect it's higher as it's not 'digital-only' but might be mistaken.

Not sure, but my 1:04 worth of material for Watson's Wind-Up earlier this year netted my about £54.00, with the promise of repeat fees in the contract, although, as it was a topical sketch show, repeating isn't likely.

And that was BBC Scotland. R4 must be higher, surely.

Mind you, Watson's Wind-Up was a Comedy Unit production, so, obviously, CU paid me an not the Beeb.

Wahey! Got my contract through for a whole 45 seconds worth at £33 a minute. Party time!

I can also confirm that The Producer is correct, the contracted per minute rate for Recorded for Training Purposes was lower at £32 per minute. But I am not sure whether they paid an automatic repeat fee or not for that to cover digital platforms. It's a bit confusing.

Why do they send two? Are they just for information or do they want you to sign one of the contracts and send it back?

Quote: Blue Bottle @ September 1 2009, 9:20 AM BST

Why do they send two? Are they just for information or do they want you to sign one of the contracts and send it back?

I assume they want you to sign one and send it back and keep the other one for your records. That's what I did anyway.

Yes, you need to sign one and send one back although at no point does the cover letter in any way suggest that! I seem to remember it being the same for Tilt and RFTP as well, but I did ring the Beeb the first time just to check.

Yup. Sign one to send, and keep the other. Standard practice for contracts.

Quote: Yacob Wingnut @ August 19 2009, 1:43 PM BST

I seem to be on a higher rate for Radio 4 then I was. I believe if you get a certain amount on your rate goes up. Possibly the same for BBC Radio 7

Grrrr. I had a lot of sketches on radio7.

No workshop invite and no increase in payment. Oh, why do they hate me...?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 1 2009, 8:22 PM BST

Oh, why do they hate me...?

They've met you...? Unimpressed

Quote: chipolata @ September 2 2009, 10:03 AM BST

They've met you...? Unimpressed

That's true actually. :)