British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 17

Yours? Is yours in one setting then? Or have you used lots of different lighting, effects, characters etc...

We had something much more grand originally but unfortunately, we've had to trime it down

I've only done 3 pages so far. You should talk to some of the others who have already submitted.

I don't know who, on here, has submitted. I would be interested in learning what sort of direction people have taken; what kinds of style of comedy they have opted for. We haven't gone for something traditional or something that producers will necessarily get. But I think that just says something about comedy and humour.

Quote: Adam Blaize @ August 29 2009, 12:30 AM BST

I don't know who, on here, has submitted.

Marc P. Definitely Marc P.

Quote: Chappers @ August 29 2009, 12:22 AM BST

I've only done 3 pages so far.

If I adapt a sitcom I've already done, I've done enough pages. If I adapt the same idea into this format, I've done three pages and if I start again, well, I'll be starting a fresh.

But it's good to know I'm not the only one running this late. Errr

Quote: Leevil @ August 28 2009, 4:02 PM BST

I'll answer for him.

Heartbeat.

To Marc P. I think its a fair enough point to raise the options clause Ive been working adapting a script now and am virtually finished but it is making me apprehensive about sending it to somewhere where there may be unknown consequences ...e.g. maybe someone somewhere else expressed an interest in the script but the sitcom trials have to have a say or take a cut etc.

I know we aren't the only ones worried about this...who knows...they may be losing out on a whopper of an entry because of it...

To be fair, this contest has been running for several years. I'm sure if any unsavory goings on were err going on. We'd of heard about it by now?

oh and by the way if in the very unlikely chance I win can I have a small trophy...and a certificate...and a small cash prize wouldnt go a miss....failing that a new car.

Quote: Leevil @ August 30 2009, 12:50 AM BST

To be fair, this contest has been running for several years. I'm sure if any unsavory goings on were err going on. We'd of heard about it by now?

Well this is a new version and the option clause is a new addition.

I hope to meet with the Leicester Square Theatre this week and hammer out this dreaded "option" that hangs over everyone. Could be we end up like Simon & Dec's Sitcom Trials, with no option stipulation because wording can't be agreed in time.

Either way, do not let this stand in the way of you getting your entry in. It will only start to affect you if you are chosen as a finalist to be staged in the show, and even then you free to withdraw if you don't like any details that are proposed. And I, honestly, do not know those details myself yet.

Next week I begin Sitcom Trials publicity, aiming to make its profile very high this season. So please get your entries in so you can be considered, and I apologise again for the delay in establishing the details of the option proposal.

Kev F Sutherland
(about to do his final show of the month at the Edinburgh Fringe then returning home tomorrow, if that explains anything)
Exec Producer, The Sitcom Trials

Just tidying my entry up - so to speak.

If you're serious about writing comedy then really it's too good an opportunity to miss.

One week to go!

I'm just about finished :)

It says no more than 10 mins for the main section I did a quick run through just reading it and it came to about 13 mins is that close enough or do you think I need to do some editing???

I do believe it HAS to be no more than ten minutes for the main bit.