British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 15

OK, folks, you were right. Looking back at my script, there was absolutely no need to underline anything.
I'm so glad I actually mentioned the script in the first place.

So now all the underlines are now gorrrrrrrn. Script reuploaded. :)

And now back to topic....

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 26 2009, 2:47 PM BST

Hurrah!

:D

Quote: MarkB @ August 26 2009, 2:40 PM BST

Hello again,

Just emailed my script off. Just wondering whether we get received confirmation replies? I'm always paranoid about the internet eating my mails.

A-thank-you.

M.

We're tending only to respond to script submissions if a) there's a problem, or b) if there's an associated query to answer. So don't worry if you don't hear anything immediately (yours arrived all present and correct).

J

edit: stupid emoticons

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 26 2009, 2:47 PM BST

And now back to topic....

Does this mean we can put a line under all this?

I'm sure this has been covered, but there's no way I'm going to go and look through 16 pages for it...

Who are the fine actors who are going to perform our scripts? Do we have to provide them ourselves?

Quote: Philip Rogers @ August 26 2009, 8:24 PM BST

I'm sure this has been covered, but there's no way I'm going to go and look through 16 pages for it...

Who are the fine actors who are going to perform our scripts? Do we have to provide them ourselves?

Just leave your email details here and people will contact you.

Do we have to provide them ourselves?

No.

I see. Well, here they are:

rogersofnorwich@yahoo.co.uk

What will happen if your script is selected, is that it will be assigned to one of a number of directors that are involved in the show, and they will then cast it from their own actor contacts, or from the wide-range of actors on the Sitcom Trials "books".

You should be careful posting your e-mail address on public message boards, as it tends to be a one-way ticket to a world of e-mail spam, and we would never encourage you to do that!

J

I have a brilliant concept for a sitcom but it has no real cliff-hanger opportunities so I'll probably save it for the rival show.

Consequently I'm running out of time having lost faith in the sitcom I'd begun with Charley.

Quote: Chappers @ August 27 2009, 5:17 PM BST

I have a brilliant concept for a sitcom but it has no real cliff-hanger opportunities so I'll probably save it for the rival show.

Consequently I'm running out of time having lost faith in the sitcom I'd begun with Charley.

I'll sell you a cliff-hanger for a bottle of Pimms but you better be quick summer is running out.

Quote: Chappers @ August 27 2009, 5:17 PM BST

Don't get hung up on the cliffhanger. Plenty of scripts have taken the perfectly reasonable step of treating it as an "ad-break" moment, sometimes the pay-off is just an opportunity for an extra handful of jokes, vaguely related to the main plot (in a Friends closing-credits style).

James

Quote: J'Parker @ August 28 2009, 7:33 AM BST

Don't get hung up on the cliffhanger. Plenty of scripts have taken the perfectly reasonable step of treating it as an "ad-break" moment, sometimes the pay-off is just an opportunity for an extra handful of jokes, vaguely related to the main plot (in a Friends closing-credits style).

James

Really? That's a bit different to the original brief.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 28 2009, 11:17 AM BST

Really? That's a bit different to the original brief.

The format IS important, because scripts will be split and only one ending will be shown in each show, however the nature of that split is much more up to you than perhaps some of you have been thinking (so far the entries have been quite diverse in how they've handled it, which means it's clearly not worried everyone).

You're right and maybe the brief does overstate it a little, but personally I'd rather people enter the best script they can that fits within the 10+3 format, and let us judge the merits of the script as a whole than writers hold back for fear that there isn't enough of a cliffhanger in it (although no doubt having more of a "what happens next?" moment will benefit you in the audience vote on the night).

Of everything, I'm surprised this is the thing that people here have had the biggest problem with (option cause not withstanding), as my recollection of the scripts in last year's competition was that the majority had a nice natural break about three-quarters of the way through anyway or could be adapted very easily. But hey, you live and learn.

Is there any specific programme the script should be written on?