British Comedy Guide

How NOT to write sitcom. Page 2

This:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/writers/courses_how_not_to_write_a_sitcom.shtml

Quote: billwill @ August 25 2009, 6:04 PM BST

Most of my writing has been technical writing.. The details ARE the thing. They have to be there, totally correct and unambiguous.

Otherwise someone might press the wrong button, click the wrong icon and blow up the world..

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Or at least.. on one job I did, they might freeze and ruin £100,000 worth of fruit in a cold-room.

I'd check that fruit, Bill. If details are the thing, then this is NOT the writers' area of the website. It is the writers' discussion forum of the BCG message board.

Quote: Badge @ August 25 2009, 8:01 PM BST

I'd check that fruit, Bill. If details are the thing, then this is NOT the writers' area of the website. It is the writers' discussion forum of the BCG message board.

I did check and there is no obvious link from:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/

to
This:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/writers/courses_how_not_to_write_a_sitcom.shtml

(though one can EVENTUALLY find it by persistence)

Therefore the clarity of the root posting on this topic leaves much to be desired considering that it's author claims to be able to fix other people's scripts.

Quote: Marc Blake @ August 25 2009, 6:32 PM BST

Sheesh you guys are pedantic. If you devoted your time to sitcoms instead of this we could remove 'Reggie' from our screens forever. And 2 Pints of lager...

The new writer's area on this site, I meant - not on this page. Gaaah

In fact. Don't come to the workshop. No. Go away

The other guys are nowhere near as pedantic as I am. You can let them come :D :D

And I wasn't going to come anyway.

Laughing out loud

it's author claims to be able to fix other people's scripts.

But mine aren't broken. :P

Seriously though. Mr Blake here has been running courses for years and I've seen quite a few regulars on these boards champion him.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 25 2009, 9:35 PM BST

But mine aren't broken. :P

Seriously though. Mr Blake here has been running courses for years and I've seen quite a few regulars on these boards champion him.

Yes I know...

But...

<I wrote a long piece here, but on second thoughts I think it is for Marc's eyes only so I'm going to send it by PM>

===============
And now having read that diatribe, perhaps Marc can realise that what I said above was pedantic, sure, but pedantic for a damn good reason.

Quote: Marc Blake @ August 25 2009, 3:00 PM BST

I call myself a script mechanic. NOT a doctor. A doctor diagnoses and then writes something on a scribbly bit of paper that may or may not kill you. A mechanic fixes the problem (yeah, yeah and charges you the earth). But I see my job in this very male way. Check under the bonnet, fix it.

I had new brake pads fitted on my car yesterday. The copy editor at the garage made a great job of it.

I have attended one of Marc's courses. It was at a time when I was just starting out in the world of writing, it gave me a good, solid start. I also read one of his books on sitcom. Some things helped me, other things didn't.

Marc Blake came on here and promoted his course which he is completely entitled to do. If you're not interested in the course, don't respond. If you are interested, obviously contact Marc Blake. Enough said.

Quote: Marc P @ August 26 2009, 7:58 AM BST

Leave me out of this.

:D

No Pee that Bee.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 26 2009, 10:43 AM BST

I have attended one of Marc's courses. It was at a time when I was just starting out in the world of writing, it gave me a good, solid start. I also read one of his books on sitcom. Some things helped me, other things didn't.

Marc Blake came on here and promoted his course which he is completely entitled to do. If you're not interested in the course, don't respond. If you are interested, obviously contact Marc Blake. Enough said.

I have no doubts that Marc B is indeed an excellent tutor, Script Critic and Script editor & never did have such doubt.

My pedantic comments were for a different reason.