British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 13

F**k, this is catching up fast. I better get writing...

SCENE 1. INT. MADISON SQUARE GARDENS - NIGHT

A huge space ship crashes into the auditorium, as thousands of people scream in terror. Godzilla bursts through the wall and eats the President...

This is gonna be good! :D

We got so fed up of being sent unstageable scripts that we organised a competition for the script least likely to make it onto the stage.
Check out the results: http://www.every1sacritic.com/Every1sacritic/Competition.html

Simon
for
Every 1's a Critic

I'm not sure if I'll have time to write something for this.
The Setember 6th deadline is fast coming up.

I lot of my scripts are already in hands of producers, awaiting yays or nays, so I cannot use them for this.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 20 2009, 2:48 PM BST

I have never been to a sitcom trials (I live in the less exuberant north), I have seen the clips on YouTube from the TV show but I was wondering whether they tended to favour a certain style of sitcom. I have written a sitcom trials script involving wrist slashing and I know they have dealt with this theme a fair bit in sitcom (notably the Peep Show) but I am wondering whether this would be too much for a sitcom trails sitcom.

If people will find it funny, and it makes sense within the scope of your sitcom, why the hell not? There's some quite dark stuff that's come in, and some very light stuff. Quality is what's important, as we're not going to try and second guess what production companies are going to want next.

Quote: MarkB @ August 20 2009, 10:48 AM BST

In the meantime if anybody does know whether any additional docs need including with the script or if there is a submission requirement list knocking about the ST website that I'm too technically ignorant to find then I'd appreciate it

No, just the script - preferably making the split between the ten minute opening section and the two-three minute payoff obvious. We also ask for your contact details on the first page of script itself incase it gets separated from your e-mail.

We didn't specify too much stuff like that because we'd rather people were spending the time thinking about the quality of their script than worrying about formatting or submitting additional material.

If your script is selected you'll probably be asked to supply some more details (for programmes and the like), but for now we only want the script.

Sorry for the delayed replies, I'm just back from a holiday.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 23 2009, 4:22 PM BST

I lot of my scripts are already in hands of producers, awaiting yays or nays, so I cannot use them for this.

I don't see why not. They are probably the right length. :)

Maybe the option clause precludes it... but we have no way of knowing.

I think you only find out the truth behind that Marc, if you win. Adds the element of risk to it all.

Quote: Leevil @ August 24 2009, 2:47 PM BST

I think you only find out the truth behind that Marc, if you win. Adds the element of risk to it all.

Like Russian roulette...

Sing the contract or the actor gets it. Oh, lo'dy, lo'd, he's desp'it! Do what he say, do what he say!*

*bonus points available.

It always make me think of Tony Hart and the gallery.

I don't see why not. They are probably the right length.

Maybe the option clause precludes it... but we have no way of knowing.

No, I'm not using anything in producers' hands.
Just imagine if they came back and yayed something, and then I had to say "Oh, Actually, now I have an option clause tagged to it."
They would not be happy bunnies.

The sitcom trials rules do not actually specify that it completely, like totally, has to be a TV sitcom. So, I was wondering... I don't suppose I could submit my hilarious radio sitcom could I?
I've workshopped the first episode with comedy actors in front of an audience who were, quite literally, laughing out loud.

Quote: Carol Cooper @ August 24 2009, 9:02 PM BST

The sitcom trials rules do not actually specify that it completely, like totally, has to be a TV sitcom. So, I was wondering... I don't suppose I could submit my hilarious radio sitcom could I?
I've workshopped the first episode with comedy actors in front of an audience who were, quite literally, laughing out loud.

Well that's better than them laughing on the inside.

It wouldn't work if they just stood there reading from a script. It would need some action too.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ August 24 2009, 8:59 PM BST

No, I'm not using anything in producers' hands.
Just imagine if they came back and yayed something, and then I had to say "Oh, Actually, now I have an option clause tagged to it."
They would not be happy bunnies.

Oh true, I hadn't thought of that, maybe I should ask for some clarification on the option clause.

Literally laughing out loud? You want them literally pissing their pants. Provide lager.

I think it haS to be visual. There's no point doing an exclusive radio show. can't you adapt it or does it involves volcanoes and rockets going into space?

Oh true, I hadn't thought of that, maybe I should ask for some clarification on the option clause.

So... are you entering this year, Marc? :)