British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 11

I've got a big explosion planned for the cliffhanger.

Do they allow elaborate pyrotechnics at the Leicester Square Theate?

:P

Hello,

New to the sitcom trials - I was just wondering what needs to be submitted, the main ST website doesn't appear to have any submission guide other than an email address to send the script to.

So just wondering whether anything other than the 10min script needs to be included - sypnosis, character sheets, cv etc?

- Thanks
Mark.

Quote: MarkB @ August 19 2009, 4:10 PM BST

Hello,

New to the sitcom trials - I was just wondering what needs to be submitted, the main ST website doesn't appear to have any submission guide other than an email address to send the script to.

So just wondering whether anything other than the 10min script needs to be included - sypnosis, character sheets, cv etc?

- Thanks
Mark.

You need to supply bank details as well, possibly your first born child.

;)

Quote: simon wright @ August 18 2009, 9:25 PM BST

A good tip is to email your script to yourself

I've been doing that for years. It's the only way I get positive feedback.

Just wondering about sets... Does it all have to be set in one place? Naturally I don't mean I'd like 8 different sets for a ten minute script, but would two be too many? Also, what is the limitation of sets?

Anyone who knows, this would be helpful info,

Thanks, Chris

Simple stage. Simple props. Don't think in terms of sets.

Thanks. If I wanted to set something outside, would that matter? I'm assuming a large part would be the audiences imagination in creating these 'sets'.

Quote: ForzaCarra @ August 19 2009, 5:13 PM BST

Thanks. If I wanted to set something outside, would that matter? I'm assuming a large part would be the audiences imagination in creating these 'sets'.

Yes. Not that I have ever been to a sitcom trial. But think outside of the box and use your imagination to paint the setting in your audience's mind without actually using a brush.

Thanks for the info Marc - get ready to see 84 different locations in the first five minutes, then an epic battle scene to round off!

Cheers, Chris

Quote: ForzaCarra @ August 19 2009, 5:18 PM BST

Thanks for the info Marc - get ready to see 84 different locations in the first five minutes, then an epic battle scene to round off!

Cheers, Chris

Sounds fun.

Think what they would do if it was a radio sitcom.

And from what I hear of the viewing lines it might as well be!! :)

And of course it might as well be regardless of them.

Hang on I haven't menntioned the option bit for a while.

Angry

Ah well pub's open. :)

It's mainly tables and chairs. In one I saw though they were supposed to be on the ledge of a very tall building.

Also 2 scenes may be OK but you have to make it clear what it is without having the benefit of too many props.

Hi, completely new to this. A question about submission. Do need to use a specific program, like scriptsmart etc, and do I need to have a synopsis for it? Sorry if this is basics I missed but like I say, all new to me I just thought id give it a shot. :)

A quick reminder to any Sitcom Trials entrants who may be up at the Edinburgh Fringe, that I'm here and can answer your questions face to face if you have any. if there are an writer-performer teams putting on sketch shows up here who wanted to enter that Sitcom Trials as writer-performers rather than just sending in a script, let me see your show and I can consider you in that light.

Text me 07931 810858 if interested, I'm around.

Kev F, Exec Producer
The Sitcom Trials

PS: I've met a few directors and former cast members up here, but no-one entering scripts yet.

PPS: If you really want to see how the cliffhanger format works, please have a quick glance at an episode from the Sitcom Trials TV series. They're at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YpjztU5WVU&feature=channel

Quote: Marc P @ August 19 2009, 4:14 PM BST

You need to supply bank details as well, possibly your first born child.

;)

That's... erm... trememndous stuff, thank you.

In the meantime if anybody does know whether any additional docs need including with the script or if there is a submission requirement list knocking about the ST website that I'm too technically ignorant to find then I'd appreciate it