British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 10

Quote: swerytd @ July 28 2009, 2:12 PM BST

Then you would have looked a bit simple...

Dan

No I simply looked. And there was nothing there.

:)

Is there an advantage to sending scripts in before the deadline? (apart from them being staggered for the poor f**kers who have to read them?)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 28 2009, 5:19 PM BST

Is there an advantage to sending scripts in before the deadline? (apart from them being staggered for the poor f**kers who have to read them?)

That's the main advantage (i.e. an advantage for us), plus it means you can move on to exciting new pastures in the knowledge that your Sitcom Trials entry is safely in our highly elaborate vaults.

Hello all

Just to let you know that there are two spaces left on our How To Get In The Yes Pile sitcom-writing workshop, this Saturday August 8th, from 11.00am-6pm in Fleet Street, good old London.

Only £40, you'll have your script read out by professional actors and increase your chances of getting out of The Sitcom Trials 'No pile' by huge amounts.

Cheers, Declan and Simon
Every 1's A Critic

Again, well worth it. Recommended.

Dan

A quick reminder that I'll be in Edinburgh at the Fringe from today till August 30th (performing with the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre, 10.15 every night at the Gilded Balloon, but that's not important).

As far as this thread's concerned, I'm there as a representative of The Sitcom Trials, and I'll be particularly interested to meet any writer-performers who are thinking of entering sitcoms into the new Sitcom Trials season and are performing at the Fringe. If you want to be seen live, this is your chance to effectively audition your performing team. I'm not on the blag for free tickets necessarily, though that would be nice, and trust me there's no shortage of sketch groups who'll be giving their tickets away this weekend, but if you want your sketch show/potential Sitcom Trials entrants to be seen by me, text me on 07931 810858, or email kevf@sitcomtrials.co.uk

All scripts still go to James Parker, read Sitcom Trials submissions deadlines first.

And I'd be happy to just meet writers who want to chat. I'll be wearing a SFSPT t shirt most likely.

Oh and by the way, it's me you're waiting on regarding the whole "Option clause" situation. And I in turn am waiting to talk with the Leicester Square Theatre. Please don't let it hold up your entries. You will not be agreeing to anything unless or until you are offered a place on the shortlist of selected scripts, and if you don't like the terms then, you can opt out. So you could still hold the distinction of having been shortlisted even if you don't compete (though I doubt it'll come to that).

See you all in/from Edinburgh.

Kev F
Exec Producer
The Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

PS: That show again, not that it matters: http://www.edcomfest.com/events/details?eventId=14:145

Thanks for letting us know. I won't be there but I like how you are always willing to talk to people whether it be on here or in person.

I've just got round to finally writing my script and I just want to make sure I'm formatting it right. This has almost certainly been asked before so it can be answered by anyone who knows
:P

Is this correct?

ACTIONS AND STAGE DIRECTIONS WRITTEN LIKE THIS

--------------CHARACTER NAMES
--------------Speach.

without the ---- I had to put them in because I couldn't center text in this post :)

Anything neat and readable is acceptable, so don't get too bogged down in the formatting.

Some examples in the Writers' Room:

(TV) http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/tv_comedy.shtml
(Radio) http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/radio_comedy.shtml

I tend to use radio sitcom format for my scripts, but then I've had nothing chosen for the Sitcom Trials! :)

Dan

Radio and stage formatting is quite similar, only the sound FX need changing to visual (obviously) directions.

Although, I guess it might be best to write in stage format.

A good tip is to email your script to yourself, and then you'll see exactly how it looks when someone else opens it.

I've lost count of the number of scriptsmart scripts I've read that say 'Scene Autonum. The hotel/street/bar whatever.'

That 'Autonum' drives me nuts.

Autonum? I've never seen that happen in Scriptsmart.

Quote: simon wright @ August 18 2009, 9:25 PM BST

A good tip is to mail your script to yourself, and then you'll see exactly how it looks when someone else opens it.

Laughing out loud That's a new one.

I bet you get through a lot of stamps.

Quote: Leevil @ August 18 2009, 9:52 PM BST

Laughing out loud That's a new one.

I bet you get through a lot of stamps.

He's got shares in Royal Mail.

Incidentally I'm brushing up on something I did with Charley a while ago for this. It's looking good - which is more than can be said for Charley.

Also awaiting the options clause.......

but while im waiting....

was just wondering without giving too much away from your own personal scripts what kind of cliff hanger people working on? Because Im pondering how I can set something up so quickly then resolve it in 3 mins...

Is it a big jaw drop (DUM DUM DUM!!!) type cliff hanger or more - I need a dress for the party but have nothing to wear...

I was struggling - but then it came to me in a flash.......

Then I worked out my cliff-hanger Cliff.