British Comedy Guide

A few words of advice needed

Hi all,

my first post of hopefully many on the forum.

After working on and off for a while now I completed a pilot episode for a sitcom idea id had knocking around. As it has a story arc running through a series (hopefully) rather than independent episodes I wrote a 2nd episode to develop it and the characters more.

Episode 2 is miles better than episode 1 and after peer review Ive decided I should do something with it.

Question is where should I be sending it? I thought bbc writers room but should I send it to producers aswell or await the word of Auntie Beeb.

And not to be pessimistic but it will probably not go very far professionally but should I perserver with it and finish the series and keep pushing the idea or just drop it and start something else?

Thanks Guys and Dolls

As I understand it. The script you submit won't necessarily get made, but if liked, will open many doors into writing for the beeb.

There's a thread around here, listing lots of production companies to submit too.

There's no harm in flooding the market. Just make sure you do have a good thing on your hands, don't won't to be spreading muck with your name.

Quote: Cliff @ August 18 2009, 1:16 AM BST

Hi all,

my first post of hopefully many on the forum.

After working on and off for a while now I completed a pilot episode for a sitcom idea id had knocking around. As it has a story arc running through a series (hopefully) rather than independent episodes I wrote a 2nd episode to develop it and the characters more.

Episode 2 is miles better than episode 1 and after peer review Ive decided I should do something with it.

Question is where should I be sending it? I thought bbc writers room but should I send it to producers aswell or await the word of Auntie Beeb.

And not to be pessimistic but it will probably not go very far professionally but should I perserver with it and finish the series and keep pushing the idea or just drop it and start something else?

Thanks Guys and Dolls

Hello Cliff and welcome.

The quick answer to your question is just send your script to the Writers Room as well as indie producers and hope that someone bites, and in the meantime, start afresh on a new project.

The long answer is much TOO long and involves self-flaggellation, satanistic rituals, and a refusal to accept that anything currently on TV is anything other than the foul squirtings from Beelzebub's foetid hole. That is the path of the comedy writer. Resist it!

'self-flaggellation and satanistic rituals'...have you read my script. lol.

In a wierd way I really wanna keep writing this story and bring it to a point of closure but I do also understand it may be a case of flogging a dead horse...........

It may be time to say goodbye to the project ive been nurturing all this time....boo hoo

Hello Cliff. Have you considered rewriting it for Sitcom Trials. !0 minutes - then a cliff-hanger Cliff - then a 2 minute paqy-off.

Quote: Cliff @ August 18 2009, 1:16 AM BST

No harm to do both, and an excellent suggestion from Chappers re the sitcom trials. As long as you don't get saddled with an option you don't much like the look of!

:D

You're not a proper writer until you've been shafted by someone and can develop a chip on your shoulder.

That's chip!

Quote: chipolata @ August 18 2009, 10:34 AM BST

You're not a proper writer until you've been shafted by someone and can develop a chip on your shoulder.

Lol.

It's not so much being shafted it's that production companies can sometimes lose interest in a project if there are 'strings or people' attached. It happens a lot more than people realise. It can be a cruel dashing of a dream.

:(

I'd send to as many companies as possible.

And then wait. And wait somemore....and then maybe 6 or 8 months down the line you might get a reply.

Do one project then start on the next.

All good advice.

to which I'll add: put it in a drawer and forget about it for a couple of weeks. Then go back and read it again. if it's as good as you think it can be, then send it out.

Quote: jdubya @ August 18 2009, 11:13 AM BST

All good advice.

to which I'll add: put it in a drawer and forget about it

Bit harsh. Unimpressed

I might be being a bit dense but what are the sitcom trials as suggested by someone and how do they work?

Quote: Cliff @ August 18 2009, 2:53 PM BST

I might be being a bit dense but what are the sitcom trials as suggested by someone and how do they work?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/13891

Quote: Cliff @ August 18 2009, 2:53 PM BST

There are severa; threads on this.

You write a 10 minute sitcom with limited characters, scenes and props with a cliff hanger at the end and then a 2-3 minute payoff.

The first 10 minutes are staged in front of an audience and the one(s) that win the audience vote get to see the payoff.

It's a round by round knockout and the final gets judged by some industry heavyweights.