British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,979

Quote: Rob H @ August 13 2009, 2:46 PM BST

:O :O

I don't know what's shocked me more: it's your first passport, or a chimp can get a passport.

Well, that's what it's like being poor. You either never go abroad or you're a chimp. I got both :(

I had as many bananas as I wanted though.

Hello people. Just to explain this new off-topic 'invisible' thing further...

- What is it? As Chip has spotted, if you now go off-topic in the comedy threads your post will go semi-invisible after a short period.

- BUT: It only applies to the comedy forums. There's no rules about staying on topic in the general forums.

- Why are we doing this? Well, it's been the rule for quite a while now that you shouldn't go off-topic in the comedy threads, but people have been ignoring it... and thus we've decided to use technology to help us meet this rule better. I was thinking of just deleting the off-topic posts, but I'm sure you'll agree the new functionality is pretty fair.

- Why don't we want people to go off topic? Well (based on our visitor logs), for every 1 person that posts, there are at least 9 visitors passively reading the threads to see what you clever people think about the comedies being discussed! (Some threads are ranked very high on Google so are getting a lot of hits).

The 'lurking' readers often also include the programme makers themselves incidently! These people aren't interested in what you had for tea (and nor am I)... hence why we ask that personal discussions and general banter remain in the General forum and PMs.

Hope this makes our reasoning clearer. I've already had a couple of emails of support for the new functionality from people fed up with the comedy threads being interrupted and de-railed, so think this was the right step to take...

So, if you can just try and remain on-topic in the comedy forums that'd be great. Cheers.

Quote: chipolata @ August 13 2009, 1:51 PM BST

It's actually worth going off topic just to become "inbisible" and "cool".

Any posts that are made for such reasons will be deleted rather than hidden, when identified.

Quote: chipolata @ August 13 2009, 1:47 PM BST

Now I see why posts are disappearing, it's because they're off topic. This site gets more and more totalitarian by the day.

If you don't like how the site is run, then you are urged to find another forum to disrupt.

Quote: zooo @ August 13 2009, 2:30 PM BST

I think that would count as an on-topic post.

This is correct.

ALAN C IS BACK!

Aaaand he's gone again. :(

*wails*

I feel a bit weird that the threads discussing shows are regarded as of benefit to the programme makers.

But then I just feel a bit weird.

Quote: Aaron @ August 13 2009, 11:49 PM BST

What a shame.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 13 2009, 11:50 PM BST

I feel a bit weird that the threads discussing shows are regarded as of benefit to the programme makers.

They'd be fools not to take an interest in what, say, Matthew Stott has to offer.

Or not, as is sometimes the case: we know of multiple programmes where the producers have advised the writers to NOT come here and see what we say about the show.

Quote: Ben @ August 13 2009, 11:54 PM BST

They'd be fools not to take an interest in what, say, Matthew Stott has to offer.

Laughing out loud

But then I just feel a bit weird.

I'm sure Don Rushmore would volunteer to test this theory. ;)

Quote: Ben @ August 13 2009, 11:54 PM BST

I'm sure Don Rushmore would volunteer to test this theory. ;)

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2009, 12:03 AM BST

What is semi-invisible?

Opaque? Translucent?

That's my schoolboy science exhausted. *whips lazy schoolboy*

Quote: Ben @ August 13 2009, 11:46 PM BST

ALAN C IS BACK!

Quote: Aaron @ August 13 2009, 11:49 PM BST

Did he post off topic?

Quote: Badge @ August 14 2009, 12:04 AM BST

Did he post off topic?

No, but he practically called Aaron a c**t.

Quote: Griff @ August 14 2009, 12:03 AM BST

What is semi-invisible?

A half erect tiny penis

Quote: Ben @ August 14 2009, 12:05 AM BST

No, but he practically called Aaron a c**t.

Have the rules changed on that too?