British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 8

I'm getting confused now. Kev F is running the Sitcom Trials this year, with a producer that isn't Simon and/or Declan. Simon and Declan are producing an alternative competition. The workshops refer to the yes pile of which event?

Ah, and not the yes pile for any producer? ;)

I wonder when their event will be revealed.

The workshops did start out linked to the Sitcom Trials though.

Hi guys

We're just finalising details of our showcase and will be making an announcement about it soon. We're probably going to delay for a bit so we don't clash too much with The Sitcom Trials.

Our workshop is beneficial for both schemes. As writers/actors/producers, we were involved in The Sitcom Trials for most of its life so know what does and doesn't work, especially in the space you'll be writing for. There are simple things that writers do which make their sitcom impossible to stage live, and we can give advice on that which will increase your chances of being picked. And you'll have your script read out by professional actors, which is something that previous attendees have said is hugely helpful.

We've also written pieces for The Sitcom Trials that have been performed with the cliffhanger ending so have experience of that, too.

And we probably should rename our workshop, 'How Not To Stay In The No Pile' but it isn't as catchy.

Cheer, Declan

Thanks for the info Declan.

My pleasure.

And 'How To Get In The Yes Pile' for anything we're doing can be summed up by 'sleep with us and give us loads of cash'.

Anyone know how to 'remove piles'?

Quote: Griff @ July 23 2009, 12:28 PM BST

Marc you're getting muddled in your old age.

It's Kev's Trials that has the as-yet-unspecified options clause.

Simon and Declan haven't announced the details of their new scheme yet.

Is there a sanity clause?

I should point out that even though the personnel has changed, the criteria for awesomeness that Declan and Simon will no doubt be describing on their courses will stand you in good stead for the Sitcom Trials as they have always done.

They understand the contest very well, so even though it's not their yes pile any more, it's certainly a yes pile in a very similiar spirit.

Quote: Marc P @ July 23 2009, 1:20 PM BST

You still belive in sanity clause? Laughing out loud I found out when I was 18 :D

Quote: Leevil @ July 23 2009, 1:36 PM BST

You still belive in sanity clause? Laughing out loud I found out when I was 18 :D

:D

Quote: Marc P @ July 23 2009, 1:20 PM BST

There ain't no sanity claus.

As I said before I'd recommend D & S's course - even though I haven't benefitted from it yet! I will do though..........

I too find it all a bit confusing.

I've been getting ready to enter the Declan and Simon competition...is it going to be a long wait?

Quote: Ennie @ July 25 2009, 11:03 PM BST

I too find it all a bit confusing.

I've been getting ready to enter the Declan and Simon competition...is it going to be a long wait?

Do 'em both. I don't mean Simon and Declasn. I mean both comps.