British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 79

David Shayler is the new Messiah, because apparently Jesus was a transvestite too.

Hey Aldrin. Was Dawkins in the news around that time or did you have that sketch already. I think it's the best written sketch I've seen on the run. If you wrote that over a weekend, man that's pretty intimidating.

Wow, thanks for the kind comments, and the pic of ex-MI5 employee Tina Turner, but if you look at the dates I only joined this forum as I sent the Darwin sketch and if it hadn't got on would have killed myself and therefore not been on the thread again. The story was in the Sunday Times the Sunday before Ep 3 and written that afternoon. Personally the pattern I saw was I never had any success with the "big" news story, phone hacking, spy Facebook, etc, so tried to avoid them.
Did anyone with vox pop success notice something similar?

Yeah, I think so. The 'big' story was always covered (or they had 500 different takes on the same thing) so tried to avoid them. As somebody's already said, you risk the 'not-big-enough-to-cover' story then!

I, myself, think they have a list of stories they want to cover, so if your sketch comes in on that topic they're quids-in. Otherwise your sketch has to blow them away to be used. And to be fair, Aldrin, both yours were very good, but Dawkins in particular was one of the best sketches in the series. (I'd say best except for that 'teach a man to fish' sketch they did in the first one was utterly, utterly awesome. But that's one of the best sketches I've *ever* heard so second is not too bad in this case ;) )

Dan

Quote: Aldrin @ July 22 2009, 8:00 AM BST

Did anyone with vox pop success notice something similar?

I've had zero success with sketches but did get four vox pops on. I found it worked best to go for the well known stories and have the laugh at the person saying it. Plus mine are generally silly rather than biting satire for which I apologise!

But I could never pick which one they'd use and I still think it's partly luck.

Dan may have only got one on so far but it's the one I'll remember from the recordings. A funny joke and Lewis kept saying it over and over.

:)

Anyone going this week?

Has anyone got a spare ticket for tonight? Jane's just got a mail saying they're recording one of our joint efforts but neither of us have tickets! I can't go but she'd like to, so if someone can help out can you post here or PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Ta

Dan

:) Well done Jane and Dan!

Well done.
What is the sketch about?

Cheers. It's called 'The Yes Prime Minister', so should be self-evident if it gets as far as broadcast!

Dan

Just learned I've got a sketch of mine being recorded tonight also.

You just won't let me have something in, without you having something in, will you???

;) Well done

Dan

:) Well done Griff! Looks like it's all happening at the moment.

Quote: swerytd @ July 22 2009, 1:28 PM BST

You just won't let me have something in, without you having something in, will you???

And that's enough about our so-called sex life.

Sex life? I should be so lucky, you frigid bitch!

Dan

No luck for me this series. Maybe I'm no good at topical.

Well done everyone else though.

Right I'm off to Maida Vale to see the recording tonight. How do I get there - anyone been before? I've only been to Portland Place.