British Comedy Guide

First Sitcom: Mount Pleasant

Evening chaps. This is my first post and so I may as well cut to the chase and do what I am here for. Please have a little lookie at the first part of one of my scripts and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCENE 1. ARCHIVE FOOTAGE CLIPS

CLIPS FROM THE FALKLANDS WAR ARE SHOWN

NARRATOR: (VO)
Friday the second of April, nineteen-eighty two. Argentina begins the invasion and occupation of the Falkland Islands. Seventy-four days and nearly one thousand deaths later, the Argentine soldiers surrender and retreat. An uneasy peace falls across the islands. The British Sovereignty decides a military presence is required permanently to maintain that peace and to protect those that live there. Eight years later, and although the presence has dwindled, a small group of the very best of Her Royal Majesty's troops remain.

SCENE 2. INT. MESS HALL – DAY 1 [08.00]

CAPTAIN CUNNINGTON IS SAT DOWN READING A NEWSPAPER. PRIVATE FLATTERY BRINGS IN TWO PLATES WITH A CONGEALED MESS ON THEM AND PLACES ONE IN FRONT OF CUNNINGTON. FLATTERY SITS DOWN AND TUCKS INTO HIS OWN BREAKFAST.

CUNNINGTON CONTINUES TO READ HIS PAPER

CUNNINGTON:
Dare I ask what it is you've just put down in front of me?

FLATTERY:
It's breakfast sir.

CUNNINGTON:
No it's not Flattery. Breakfast, traditionally, is edible. I would wager that after eating this, Satan himself would turn pale and need a good sit down.

CUNNINGTON FOLDS THE TOP HALF OF HIS PAPER OVER AND HAS A LOOK AT HIS PLATE

CUNNINGTON:
Really Flattery, what is this?

FLATTERY:
Scrambled egg sir. You said it was your favourite sir?

CUNNINGTON:
It is Flattery - when it is made with eggs and a whisk, not a dog and a stomach pump.

FLATTERY:
How can you tell sir?

CUNNINGTON:
The faint whiff of Pedigree Chum certainly points me in the right direction.

FLATTERY:
I'll go and feed it to the birds then sir.

CUNNINGTON:
No, I don't think so Flattery. There have been quite enough innocent casualties of war, and I for one don't want to be responsible for any more of them. Stick it in an envelope and mail it to the Argies.

CUNNINGTON GOES BACK TO READING HIS NEWSPAPER. FLATTERY PICKS UP CUNNINGTON'S PLATE AND SCRAPES THE GREY LUMPY GOO ONTO HIS PLATE. HE SITS DOWN AGAIN AND CONTINUES EATING

CUNNINGTON:
Pah, these modern wars. Too easy. Gone are the days when you would have to kill with nothing more than your standard issue torch and a shoelace because all the rifles had been eaten by rats. And nothing brought out the pride and passion of being a soldier more than seeing the fear in your enemy's eyes from close enough to jab him in them. Ah yes, war isn't what it used to be Flattery.

FLATTERY:
I didn't know you saw active service sir?

CUNNINGTON:
Of course I did Flattery, I was there, on the front line, fighting for Queen and Country! Well, one of the Queen's countries…

FLATTERY:
All I can remember of the war is you hiding under your bed with your fingers in your ears singing, 'I'm a little teapot,' sir.

CUNNINGTON:
Yes thank you, that's quite enough of that Flattery.

FLATTERY:
If I recall correctly you spent two weeks dressed as a laundry maid and another week pretending to be a coat rack sir.

CUNNINGTON THROWS HIS NEWSPAPER ONTO THE TABLE

CUNNINGTON:
Unless you want to spend the rest of your life struggling with stairs and steep inclines I would strongly suggest you change the subject. Might I remind you that I am second in command on this base?

FLATTERY:
Yes sir, sorry sir. I won't mention your blatant cowardice ever again sir.

CUNNINGTON:
(SUSPICIOUSLY) Good.

CUNNINGTON RETRIEVES HIS PAPER

FLATTERY:
If you're second in command sir, does that make me third in command?

CUNNINGTON:
What are you dribbling on about Flattery?

FLATTERY:
Well sir; you follow the Major's orders and I follow your orders; so does that make me third in command sir?

CUNNINGTON:
No, Flattery, no, I don't think it does. The chain of command follows a ruthless hierarchy based mainly on intelligence, dignity and general hygiene. I would therefore surmise that you are ranked somewhere in between that old kitchen mop and the disgusting dead turtle that has been rotting in the boathouse for the past month.

FLATTERY THROWS THE KITCHEN MOP A DIRTY LOOK

CUNNINTON:
Flattery, I think your chance of any kind of command is as likely as the Queen herself coming to this God-forsaken island to perform an extended rendition of, 'My Old Man's a Dustman,' whilst wearing a silly hat. Only a true intellect like me can ever become a ranking officer.

MAJOR FARNABY-WORTH, A WHITE HAIRED, HEAVILY MOUSTACHED GENTLEMAN ENTERS LOOKING CHEERY

FARNABY-WORTH:
Good morning men! Splendid day for a damn good bit of war, what?

CUNNINGTON:
With a disappointing yet not entirely unexpected sense of irony, I stand corrected.

FLATTERY SPRINGS TO ATTENTION, STILL HOLDING HIS KNIFE AND FORK. HE SALUTES, PROMPTLY STABBING HIMSELF IN THE HEAD WITH HIS OWN KNIFE. HE WINCES. CUNNINGTON LOOKS EXASPERATED

FARNABY-WORTH:
Sit down man, sit down, we're all chums here! No need for any of the formalities, what!

FLATTERY SITS DOWN WITH THE KNIFE STILL POKING OUT OF HIS HEAD. HE CONTINUES EATING WITH JUST HIS FORK

FARNABY-WORTH:
I say, Cunnington, how are the troops getting along? Moral pip-pip and tip-top?

CUNNINGTON GLANCES AT FLATTERY

CUNNINGTON:
He's fine sir. Nothing that a few laps of the island won't sort out.

FARNABY-WORTH:
Splendid, splendid! Well now, what do have for breakfast this morning? Something scrumptious to tickle the old taste buds on the way in and tickle the old arse on the way out I hope?

CUNNINGTON:
We have something that will do just that sir. Although probably more of the latter than the former. Flattery, fetch the Major some of your delightful scrambled eggs.

FLATTERY:
Certainly sir. I'll just go and see if the chef is in his kennel.

FLATTERY LEAVES

CUNNINGTON:
What news this morning sir?

FARNABY-WORTH:
Oh, the usual Cunnington, the usual. Bloody Argies still won't stick their noses out, damn their well-tanned hides. Never spoiling for a good fight like they used to. All this nonsense about peace and well-being is enough to make one's legs go wobbly, ey Cunnington?

CUNNINGTON:
Yes sir. Like very wobbly things on top of a jelly in a car driving over cobbles, sir.

FARNABY-WORTH:
All this quiet is making me a bit edgy, Cunnington. I may have spent most of the days that I can still remember on this island, but I'll be hung upside-down and tickled with a kipper if I'm going to sit here and rot whilst there are enemies of the crown that need a complete and utter kicking in their traitorous posteriors!

CUNNINGTON LOOKS WORRIED

CUNNINGTON:
Sir – what are you saying?

FARNABY-WORTH:
We need to girdle our loins and go get ourselves some war! We shouldn't waste any more of our time on this dull, dreary, peace-ridden island; we must go to where the action is! This very instant! I shall radio headquarters and request that we be transferred right into the thick of it at once! What do say to that man?

CUNNINGTON:
(NERVOUSLY) Yay?

FLATTERY ENTERS HOLDING A PLATE

FLATTERY:
I'm sorry sir, but the chef was a little tired from making the first lot of breakfast so I had to make this one myself.

FARNABY-WORTH:
Splendid, boy, splendid! As my dear Mother used to say, all good talent comes from within, what!

FLATTERY PLACES THE DISH IN FRONT OF FARNABY-WORTH AND SITS DOWN

CUNNINGTON:
And, like all good talent , those who truly appreciate it will find it coming from within them also. And quickly.

FARNABY-WORTH TAKES A BITE. HE PAUSES LOOKING SHOCKED

FARNABY-WORTH:
By jove, these are by far the best scrambled eggs I've ever tasted! The flavour is exquisite! What did you put in these to make them taste so bowel-clenchingly yummy?

FLATTERY:
Well we had chilli last night if that's what you mean?

CUNNINGTON:
You see sir, how will you be able to enjoy such fine cuisine if you are stationed elsewhere?

FARNABY-WORTH:
As sure as a cow has breasts I would be willing to forego such luxuries just to taste the sweet taste of war once more, smell the smell of victory, bathe in the sweat of triumph and sniff the armpit of revenge!

FARNABY-WORTH FINISHES HIS MEAL

CUNNINGTON:
But sir, only a madman would go looking for such a stupid and pointless fight!

FARNABY-WORTH:
Precisely Cunnington! And that is exactly why we must leave immediately!

FARNABY-WORTH JUMPS UP FROM HIS SEAT TRIUMPHANTLY, FOLLOWED ALMOST INSTANTLY AFTER BY CUNNINGTON WHO THEN LAUGHS NERVOUSLY

FARNABY-WORTH:
By the way, you haven't seen my dear pet turtle about have you? Been missing for about a month now…

FARNABY-WORTH EXITS CALLING FOR HIS TURTLE

FARNABY-WORTH:
Shelly! Shelly! Where are you?

It's well written and some of the jokes are funny, I'd like to read more to see where you take it.

The only problem for me is that it seems a bit too Dad's Army (Mainwaring and Pike relationship is echoed here) and some of the lines are a bit Blackaddery if you get me.

Otherwise, not that bad. It seems like you've put somne thought into it, but a second scene may be good to read.

Cheers

Some dialogue was good. It is too Dad's Armyish with regards to similarities between your characters and Mainwaring/Pike, plus the situation of the piece. The early dialogue was better, felt it wasn't as strong later on.

You established the relationship early, which is obviously helped by the obvious rank between the two, but you also need to clarify this through dialogue which you did well.

Thanks.

Thank you for your feedback. I have written this with an eye to bring back the slick-tongued sarcasm-fest of Blackadder that seems to be missing in modern comedy. The fact that you view it as such is a compliment to me and I thank you!

As for more, it does exist, but I'm a little wary about splashing entire episodes online!

All the best,

Andy

That's a really topnotch idea for a setting and some nice gags.

But that's it. No real character, interaction or progress so it kinda ran out for me after the 3rd exchange.

I'd say get some more of a solid idea of the setting and run with it. You know penguin spotting tourists, inbred or randy locals lots of sheep.

Also if you're going to randomly paint the British army as cowardly you'll lose sympathy. Black Adder was brave but cynical, for all their foolishness Dad's Army were fearless.

Quote: andyroo @ July 21 2009, 9:55 PM BST

Thank you for your feedback. I have written this with an eye to bring back the slick-tongued sarcasm-fest of Blackadder that seems to be missing in modern comedy. The fact that you view it as such is a compliment to me and I thank you!

As for more, it does exist, but I'm a little wary about splashing entire episodes online!

All the best,

Andy

Black adder famously took days to write with some of the sharpest minds in British comedy. I'd suggest going for some of those exchanges but also using some more standard gags.

I think quite a lot recently peoples first sitcoms posted on here are almost identical to famous shows, you can notice it straight away.

I was the same and my first script is just like MBB when reading it back.

This is very Black adder but there are some good black adder style lines in there!

I think you just need to make it a bit more unique and you would be a good writer.

The missing turtle isn't called Speckled Jim by any chance?

It seems fairly well written but I agree with the others who think it reads too much like an episode of Blackadder Goes Forth. That's not really a compliment, just an observation that you haven't done anything new there.

Same style, completely different setting might work a bit better.

There are obvious similarities to Blackadder, but I have to say that I really enjoyed reading it and found it very funny. Good gags, word play and call backs. I liked the characters too. I don't know how much potential there is in getting it produced (because of the similarities to previous shows) but it's certainly well written and I enjoyed it.

I too found it very funny and would like to read more. I like the characters and the part you've posted allows us to get to know them before moving onto another scene

The military occupation of the Falklands is ripe for an incomers vs locals comedy drama, but it is rather too recent to be the subject of Blackadder V. Some funny lines though.

It is funny, but I can't get past the blackadder similarity. I can hear Flash Heart saying some of those lines. Sorry.

Thanks all for reading and thanks for you comments. Appreciate it.

Andy

As stated above, Blackadder sprung directly to mind, laced with Dad's Army and It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

It's inevitably going to be compared to the sitcoms mentioned. To that end, it needs to be totally fresh and in no way similar to those shows. That is a big ask.

To distinguish your sitcom from the others, you may be able to use the advanced military technology of the day...and as Sooty said, sheep [and penguins, of course].

Keep going and good luck