British Comedy Guide

Live Sitcom: Jack Offline Page 2

Thanks Marc, but the scene we use in the trailer isn't what we're opening the show with. It's actually the fourth - and the previous three are live. By then the characters and situation should be established. Likewise, the references within the scene should be understood. But I certainly agree that, if this opened the show, it would be very confusing.

I understand your concerns about the 'bullying character' but we have two other characters who evoke empathy and, hopefully, this should balance out. It should hopefully be funny in context. If the character doesn't work, we'll have to rethink and make him more sympathetic.

And I think, because it's a 'youth' sitcom, it will be compared with the Inbetweeners, but I think it's very different.

Fairplay Ladma, strange name your parents chose by the way, makes more sense now. My advice, still ditch it, work on it and do it live. That's what theatre is about, you won't have great Sound and Vision set up in a pub unless the Laughing Gnome turns up. And the production values, editing and script editing aren't helping you there. My advice, sight unseen, dump all the filmed stuff and do it all live. It's what it's all about unless you can go high tech which you can't. They drop filmed stuff in a properly filmed studio sitcom but you are better looking at what mediium you are actually working in up there. I'm only saying this because you put it in critique so were looking for suggestions I guess. Don;t be too happy with it now, worry about it and be happy happy with it after the shows. It's a long run you are doing.

Cheers
M

Thanks again, Marc. I see what you're saying about the 'live medium' but it's something we've considered greatly and it's something we're going to stick with. 6 minutes out of a 50 minutes show isn't too much of a betrayal of theatre. And our aim isn't to do theatre, it's to do comedy, in whatever medium befits.

Also, the venue is actually very good for tech. We did our 22 night run there last year and half of our show was video. It went down really well then so we're keen to keep the tech elements - it sets us out nicely from other groups in Edinburgh and, with 100s of acts up there, you need a USP[technical term...lol].