British Comedy Guide

Live Sitcom: Jack Offline

We're taking a live sitcom up to the Edinburgh Fringe this year. It's called 'Jack Offline' and is based on the mini-series, 'Jackwert', which we made for Current TV. This show is produced in association with ScreenPlay Productions.

Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upthWFaUh1k

Quote: Ladma @ July 21 2009, 8:01 AM BST

We're taking a live sitcom up to the Edinburgh Fringe this year. It's called 'Jack Offline' and is based on the mini-series, 'Jackwert', which we made for Current TV. This show is produced in association with ScreenPlay Productions.

Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upthWFaUh1k

Hi guys good luck with the Fringe. I know this is a trailer but basicaly it is about two guys sitting on a bench talking about things that have happened. I would try and get some business into it if I were you, have them doing something at least whilst they talk about the recent past that they both already know. Is it a cliche is it a mantra - but try and show don't tell. I'm not a big fan of waiting for Godot either before you ask!

Have a blast in Edinburgh!

:)

Quote: Marc P @ July 21 2009, 8:23 AM BST

Hi guys good luck with the Fringe. I know this is a trailer but basicaly it is about two guys sitting on a bench talking about things that have happened. I would try and get some business into it if I were you, have them doing something at least whilst they talk about the recent past that they both already know. Is it a cliche is it a mantra - but try and show don't tell. I'm not a big fan of waiting for Godot either before you ask!

Have a blast in Edinburgh!

Cheers Marc. The show is live action but, like a studio sitcom, has filmed inserts of external shots. The only footage we have is of the filmed inserts (all of which occur on the bench when the boys have been sent outside) so that's all we could use as the teaser. I assure you there's lots of action in the real show and no sitting on benches.

If you're around, come and check it out.

Fair enough, that makes sense now. It's still a long scene mind at over three minutes mind. I don't know what - but I'd still give them something one of them is doing throughout that has a kind of set up development and pay off to it that threads through and the dialogue can go over.

Will definitely come and see it if I am up, keeping saying I will go every year but haven't for a number of them now.

Thanks very much Marc. I guess we thought the rain, thunder/lightening and torches would be enough for physical development during the shot. We've got other things going on in the other external shots but I suppose the aim of this one (as the first one in the show) was to establish context, mood and character so we didn't want to overload it.

Are you guys still working on the script? Are the filmed bits in the can and locked off? How will you show them in the piece? What are Screenplay Productions doing for you?

Quote: Marc P @ July 21 2009, 9:53 AM BST

Are you guys still working on the script? Are the filmed bits in the can and locked off? How will you show them in the piece? What are Screenplay Productions doing for you?

So many questions! The script is at a very advanced stage - we're happy with it and it's only really changing now based on what works in rehearsals and if there's any pacing issues. To be honest, I think we'll be forever working on it - we'll be changing bits throughout Edinburgh depending on what works and what doesn't.

The filmed bits are in the can but they're not locked off. There's lots we can do in post production and editing.

The three external shots will appear throughout the show at various stages. It's a good tool to allow on/off time and use different locations. Like I said earlier, it's just like external shots are used in studio sitcom recordings.

And finally, Jan Jung has directed and script edited the show. We have worked very closely with him on devising and writing the show and putting it together. Without him we would be lightyears behind.

Quote: Ladma @ July 21 2009, 10:30 AM BST

So many questions! The script is at a very advanced stage - we're happy with it.

I'll say no more then!
:D

Have a great time across the border, some of the best times of my life spent performing at the festival.

Yes, it's brilliant. We had a great time performing last year.

What shows have you done up there?

I just took a couple of original plays up there. Comedy, an hour long each. The Masonic Lodge on Hill Street.

30's style romantic comedy farces with some singing and dancing.

One tip I would give you is that you want to get a very big laugh as soon as possible and certainly within the first minute to get the audience on your side.

Just watched it.

I thought the vocal performances were terrific.

Thanks very much Don - it wasn't hard to act pissed off because we were sat in the cold being doused with freezing cold water.

And cheers for the tip Marc, Edinburgh can be a tough mistress. We'll try to get em laughing as soon as possible.

What's the premise of this show? Who's Jack and what's it about?

From our press release...

Ladma return to the Edinburgh Fringe with a show based on their mockumentary sitcom 'Jackwert'. Originally commissioned by Current TV, the ensemble perform a live adaptation at this year's Free Fringe called 'Jack Offline'.

'Jack Offline' provides a disturbing insight into the dysfunctional lives of socially inept Jackwert, dim-wit brother Grant, and Mum's new boyfriend, Craig 'Piss Pants' Johnson. Join them as they present some really enviable family values and pose the questions: Will Jackwert get rid of Craig and return his lifesavings before Mum finds out? Will Craig get his demo made before Grant turns psycho? And will Mum ever get the chance to try out her new Sperminator dildo? The answers are dubious and highly distasteful – as usual.

Quote: Ladma @ July 21 2009, 11:56 AM BST

Thanks very much Don - it wasn't hard to act pissed off because we were sat in the cold being doused with freezing cold water.

And cheers for the tip Marc, Edinburgh can be a tough mistress. We'll try to get em laughing as soon as possible.

Hey LADMA, don't take this unkindly but it was why I was asking the earlier questions re script stage and etc. But I really wouldn't open with the piece you have shown here. I haven't seen the rest of the script obviously but I don't think it is doing you any favours. The nasty bullying character will only be funny in context which he isn't here. So we get shouty based stuff rather than character development based stuff [technical term] to introduce your characters to the audience. Moreover they are talking throughout the scene about stuff they both already know, and I know the brother is supposed to be ahalf wit but as you have him he wouldn;t be in a normal school. You are, rightly or wrongly, going to be compared to inbetweeners should any pro type scouts etc be looking around and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Tough love but my advice bin the opening as is, re write a new one applying laws of drama situation comedy etc, putting your characters into a developed context and then punch it up harder than Chris Brown's pillow. There is still plenty of time and when the whistle blows you want to be on the field with your best ever game from the first second.

When the Whistle Blows is that a good idea for a sitcom?

Cheers
Marc