British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 76

Haha! I wrote an entire sketch this week about how the python is now the top predator in Florida after one was found burst open after trying to swallow an alligator whole.

Logged in to BBC just to check some details and found out the story was from 2005!

Bloody idiots, reading it and bumping it up in the BBC's Top 10 Read stories!

Dan

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 20 2009, 1:17 PM BST

Topical. You should send that in :)

It is topical, he's only just recently changed from Hamsters to Guinea Pigs! Pirate

Quote: swerytd @ July 20 2009, 1:19 PM BST

Haha! I wrote an entire sketch this week about how the python is now the top predator in Florida after one was found burst open after trying to swallow an alligator whole.

Logged in to BBC just to check some details and found out the story was from 2005!

Bloody idiots, reading it and bumping it up in the BBC's Top 10 Read stories!

Dan

Ha! I knew if I spent all weekend clicking on that story some dimwitted Newsjack competitor would fall for it.

Were you the one who boosted that stupid Churchill story as well?

Quote: Griff @ July 20 2009, 1:43 PM BST

Ha! I knew if I spent all weekend clicking on that story some dimwitted Newsjack competitor would fall for it.

Ha! It'ssss an awessssome ssssketch too!

Dan

I hope one of those pythons was called Monty.

Be good to see them on telly again.

Quote: swerytd @ July 20 2009, 1:19 PM BST

This happened to me surprisingly often when I was a proper news editor, fact-checking my writers' stories.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 20 2009, 12:34 PM BST

Yeah I agree with what you've all been saying. I have sent in three sketches and found that I have more or less mastered writing in the style of newsjack but as a result the material is very dull and not at all as funny as the stuff I did closer to my own natural writing stlye in earlier weeks.
I reckon that maybe the reason for last weeks show being the worst might be due to laods of other writers trying to match newsjacks style and as a result coming up with bland substandard crap. Thiat is not to say that the stuff on newsjack is crap but I think writers who are not used to writing in that style will take a while to be able to write like that and be funny.

I didn't hear last weeks show? Was it the worst? I thought they'd been improving greatly up to week 4.

I thought the style had definitely changed. . . Much more "punchy" and overtly satirical with clearly (and obviously) defined targets. . .

Quote: Puk Toff @ July 20 2009, 2:41 PM BST

I thought the style had definitely changed. . . Much more "punchy" and overtly satirical with clearly (and obviously) defined targets. . . Just not sure how funny it was.

I think they rely on Miles Jupp too much. Been disappointed that no other characters have been developed throughout the series.

Is this over or not? I checked the first page and the submissions ended in Feb...but I have read the last few pages and people are still submitting things? Anyone know where I can find out any more information? Cheers!

EDIT
Don't worry, just found this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r

Quote: chipolata @ July 20 2009, 2:47 PM BST

I think they rely on Miles Jupp too much. Been disappointed that no other characters have been developed throughout the series.

Yeah, and his persona has changed over the series, which has made it hard to write stuff for him - it's like aiming at a moving target. At first he was playing a slightly ineffectual public-schoolboy type, now he seems to be going for a much more "hard hitting" presentation style.

Quote: Puk Toff @ July 20 2009, 3:14 PM BST

At first he was playing a slightly ineffectual public-schoolboy type, now he seems to be going for a much more "hard hitting" presentation style.

This probably is one of the reasons they haven't continued with 'Miles Undercover', something I enjoyed writing. It is a shame they don't develop the other characters more.

Anyway, I sent in one sketch and a few one liners, but nothing special. Will think about some Vox Pops; even if they're shit I'll send 'em off - might as well!

I thought that the "Michael McIntyre Undercover" was great though, so wasn't sorry they dropped the "Miles Undercover" segment.

Yeah but that was only on for one episode (unless I missed one?), though I agree that was fun. I think Miles Undercover did have some scope to be funnier, but as someone said, the character changed a bit too much.