British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 75

Didi you get a sketch on Kevin ?

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ July 20 2009, 12:22 AM BST

Didi you get a sketch on Kevin ?

Yeah. Substantially reworked, but basically mine.

Well done for that anyway.
And who's Didi?
:$ :$

Boy, am I up late! Second sketch away. One vox pop in the chamber. Lots of luck everyone!!!

I managed three more sketches, but this was the hardest week to get motivated by far. I've managed three every week. Sub-standard shite, obviously, as it's not getting picked. But at least I'm consistent! Pleased I managed my full quota though!

Dan

I've just sent mine off.

Good luck to everyone else that's submitted, here's hoping...

My last batch have gone. Thank God it's over with now and I can go back to my own doodles.

Sent a sketch. Might send some pops. May the force be with us. Pleased

Snuck one in under the wire... again. Rolling eyes

Good luck all!

Hey guys - glad I'm not the only one forcing myself to write, with more hope than expectation.

Quote: Puk Toff @ July 20 2009, 12:13 PM BST

Hey guys - glad I'm not the only one forcing myself to write, with more hope than expectation. And I personally think I'm a better sketch writer for having had to make myself sit down and write three sketches every weekend. Still suspicious though about how much of the "open door" stuff they're actually considering. Seems that they were using "our" stuff for the first two or three weeks and then nothing - except the odd vox pop or one liner. . . I noticed a change in the programme around then too, with it becoming really up to the minute and topical. With a LOT of stuff obviously written after our submission deadline. . . Hmmm

Perhaps they're using us as Guinea Pigs for this type of thing.

Quote: Marooned @ July 20 2009, 12:25 PM BST

Perhaps they're using us as Guinea Pigs for this type of thing.

Yeah, Guinea Pigs always turn out alright don't they?

Yeah I agree with what you've all been saying. I have sent in three sketches and found that I have more or less mastered writing in the style of newsjack but as a result the material is very dull and not at all as funny as the stuff I did closer to my own natural writing stlye in earlier weeks.
I reckon that maybe the reason for last weeks show being the worst might be due to laods of other writers trying to match newsjacks style and as a result coming up with bland substandard crap. Thiat is not to say that the stuff on newsjack is crap but I think writers who are not used to writing in that style will take a while to be able to write like that and be funny.

Quote: Little Jersey Devil @ July 20 2009, 12:29 PM BST

Yeah, Guinea Pigs always turn out alright don't they?

Except for the ones that end up inside Richard Gere...

Quote: Marooned @ July 20 2009, 12:48 PM BST

Except for the ones that end up inside Richard Gere...

Topical. You should send that in :)