British Comedy Guide

Writing for Newsjack (aka 7 on 7) Page 73

Just listened to last night's show. Blimey. Just when it was starting to grow on me and it looked like the show had hit its stride, they throw in a real stinker. Some of the sketches were almost painfully unfunny. Strange for a show to seemingly go backwards in this manner, no?

Obviously we're all entitled to our own opinions on the show but I find it a little strange that people are suggesting that we, as aspiring writers, should be endlessly grateful to the BBC for providing us with an opportunity such as this, as surely it's their RESPONSIBILITY to go out of their way to find new talent. And, judging by last night's show, they're not doing a particularly good job in this regard (Badge's - and Aldrin's, if he did indeed get something on the show - contributions aside obviously! ;) ).

I realise all this might give the impression of sour grapes but never mind. Taking my negative hat off for a second (a rather splenid deerstalker if you're asking), let's just hope that the series finishes with a flourish and that it turns out to be a more sucessful week for BCG members!

I might be biased having had a few gags on but this and RFTP have been great opportunities for new writers, and all my limited experience with the beeb has been nothing but supportive and encouraging. Yes, it does seem tricky to get sketches onto Newsjack but some BCGers have done it and with decent sketches to boot. I haven't got a sketch on yet but that isn't going to stop me trying again this week. Also, every week I've sent stuff in that I thought was better than some of the stuff they used, but it's down to the personal choice, taste and experience of the production team I guess.

Finally, I have only had a chance to listen to the first half of last night's show but I have to agree with others that it wasn't very good (and I include my own bit in that as well - though I think it was written better than it went out!) - we'll all just have to make sure they get enough un-refusable good stuff for the final week.

Quote: Speckled Jim @ July 17 2009, 5:22 PM BST

we, as aspiring writers, should be grateful to the BBC for providing us with an opportunity such as this

Agreed.

Quote: Griff @ July 17 2009, 7:07 PM BST

Agreed.

Don't mean to get shirty with you, Griff - I'm sure you're a nice fella and all that - but I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from misquoting me. I think it's a little disrespectful to deliberately obscure a point that someone else is trying to make and, in some extreme cases, can lead to mild confusion and lumbago.

Also (and this goes to everyone!), any misquoting from this particular post in a sadly misguided attempt at being humourous will leave me with no choice but to administer a severe cyber-beating, the likes from which you may never recover (not to mention the chronic lumbago). I'm hoping that this small, yellow pirate... Pirate will intimidate people into thinking twice about their actions in this respect.

Cheers.

Quote: Speckled Jim @ July 18 2009, 12:24 AM BST

Don't mean to get shirty with you, Griff - I'm sure you're a nice fella and all that - but I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from misquoting me.

Sorry Jim. The "deliberately altered quote" is quite a common (some might even say predictable) gag on BSG though, most people reading it will have realised I'd changed your original.

Quote: R.J. @ July 17 2009, 3:37 PM BST

Usually what happens after the first few weeks, certainly by the end of the series, is the script editor and producer(s)have identified the people worth sticking with. They've either already got material on or have been very close and they'll keep a note of these writers, looking out for their stuff. That's not to say they won't look at everything that still comes in, but it's a no brainy that they'll prefer to stick with writers that have either delivered what they want, or have the potential to.

Yes looking at the list of writers over succeeding weeks, I do get the impression that Newsjack was a door that was never open very wide and has been slowly closing.

Quote: Griff @ July 18 2009, 12:32 AM BST

Sorry Jim. The "deliberately altered quote" is quite a common (some might even say predictable) gag on BSG though, most people reading it will have realised I'm only jealous that everyone else is far more talented.

Agreed. Lighten up Jim!

You're a gent, Griff.

And yes, KM, I probably should lighten up. It seems that every comment I've posted on here has basically been a good whinge! There again, I'm a whingey kinda guy. Hmm...

Laughing out loud to KM

Jim - we're all whingers on here, you're in good company

Isn't part of the BBC's remit to provide some opportunites for new talent. This used to mean the New Talent awards (for comedy), but since that's been put on hold I guess these type of radio shows are a simple way they can still follow that remit (in a fashion).

Under its Charter and the Agreement the BBC has six Public Purposes, which are:
1.sustaining citizenship and civil society;
2.promoting education and learning;
3.stimulating creativity and cultural excellence;
4.representing the UK, its nations, regions and communities;
5.bringing the UK to the world and the world to the UK;
6.in promoting its other Purposes, helping to deliver to the public the benefit of emerging communications technologies and services and, in addition, taking a leading role in the switchover to digital television.

To achieve the purpose of stimulating creativity and cultural excellence the BBC will:
1.Provide output that is distinctive and creative on all its platforms.
2.Ensure enrichment for all audiences by covering a wide range of cultural activities.
3.Encourage active participation in cultural activities.
4.Provide a wide range of enjoyable and entertaining content.
5.Foster creativity and nurture and support UK talent across a wide range of genres.

Under 5: The BBC should nurture UK talent by introducing new production, writing and on-air talent to audiences. The BBC should also aim to bring the best talent to its audiences from across the UK's creative community.

The BBC Trust will measure this priority qualitatively amongst opinion leaders in the wider creative community and amongst the creative community within the BBC itself.

Quote: Timbo @ July 18 2009, 7:40 PM BST

The BBC Trust will measure this priority qualitatively amongst opinion leaders in the wider creative community and amongst the creative community within the BBC itself.

Well, as long as it's self-policing, what could go wrong?

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread so often during these emotional last six weeks (the emotions being hope followed by despair) that I thought I should register and make myself known. . .

I wasn't going to bother sending anything to Newsjack this week, but now I'm thinking what the hey, might as well have one last stab at it. . .

Hi Puk Toff

Know the feeling. Probably will myself, but only if I can think of something topical but not too, er, topical.

Was it only me or wasn't Boris "£250,000 fee = chicken feed" Johnson begging for a gag this week?