British Comedy Guide

How long should a one hour episode be??? Page 3

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 16 2009, 2:50 PM BST

I just checked that latest sitcom draft wordcount and it's 6,883. Which makes it about right for half an hour, no? Or maybe a tad over? I think it's best to havea few minutes over so you can trim the crap.

Thats fine Lee but when the video editor trims it for you in the edit suite and f**ks the script over it can be bloody annoying!!!!

Errr.... yes. I wrote half hour scripts at 6,500 for TV drama, for comedy I'd be tempted to trim to allow all that laughter time. :) To be honest it depends on how pacy the writing, how much action etc. But I should say yours is probably a tad over but that's good you can always tighten it.

Quote: Marc P @ July 16 2009, 2:53 PM BST

Thats fine Lee but when the video editor trims it for you in the edit suite and f**ks the script over it can be bloody annoying!!!!

Errr.... yes. I wrote half hour scripts at 6,500 for TV drama, for comedy I'd be tempted to trim to allow all that laughter time. :) To be honest it depends on how pacy the writing, how much action etc. But I should say yours is probably a tad over but that's good you can always tighten it.

Cheers Marc. If it ever gets made and nobody laughs, I'll just tell everyone I told the audience to be quiet for timing's sake. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Joseff @ July 16 2009, 2:51 PM BST

I wasn't being 'sarky'. Ah well.. *throws arms in air* I give up.

Don't give up.
I just had you down as a sarky git.
I fully retract.

Wave

Quote: Lazzard @ July 16 2009, 3:29 PM BST

Don't give up.
I just had you down as a sarky git.
I fully retract.

Wave

Oh, I can be - but not in this case.

Sorry you got the wrong end of the stick!
Wave

Singles are very difficult to place even for name writers. Three-parters are preferable.

An audience sitcom script should be around 29/30 minutes, and a single camera comedy script around 30/31. While studio sitcom scripts have a wide left margin for camera directions, it's okay to use film format when submitting, which both saves paper and also helps with estimating running time.

If you're submitting a 60-minute script to the BBC it should be around 60 minutes, and not ITV length with commercial breaks removed. If you're submitting to ITV, it should be ITV length with breaks indicated.

If I see a script with commercial breaks, it's immediately clear that ITV doesn't want it, which rather colours my approach to it. So since a part of writing is marketing, it's a good idea to make people feel you've aimed your script at them.

If ITV rejects it, it must be awful.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ July 16 2009, 3:50 PM BST

If you're submitting to ITV, it should be ITV length

This is very good advice.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ July 16 2009, 3:50 PM BST

If I see a script with commercial breaks, it's immediately clear that ITV doesn't want it, which rather colours my approach to it. So since a part of writing is marketing, it's a good idea to make people feel you've aimed your script at them.

I would posit the sugestion that if ITV don't want it that's a plus point for the script isn't it? Benidorm aside. :)

C4 a different matter of course.

:D

Quote: don rushmore @ July 16 2009, 4:43 PM BST

This is very good advice.

:D

An audience sitcom script should be around 29/30 minutes, and a single camera comedy script around 30/31. While studio sitcom scripts have a wide left margin for camera directions, it's okay to use film format when submitting, which both saves paper and also helps with estimating running time.

If you're submitting a 60-minute script to the BBC it should be around 60 minutes, and not ITV length with commercial breaks removed. If you're submitting to ITV, it should be ITV length with breaks indicated.

OK, thanks for that. :)

And thanks for all the other hints, tips and funny stuff from others. :)

On my sitcoms, as with all my scripts, I write the estimated time on the title page.
I time them as I write them, scene by scene.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 16 2009, 5:19 PM BST

On my sitcoms, as with all my scripts, I write the estimated time on the title page.

I wouldn't do that Mikey. Get hold of some pro scripts and copy them. Not exactly mind. :)

Oh, ok.
Why's that then?

Isn't it better for the prodco that the writer has took time to ... well, time it?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 16 2009, 8:36 PM BST

Isn't it better for the prodco that the writer has took time to ... well, time it?

Like a lot of things that arise over submission pilot scripts, as a general rule give them as few a number of reasons to find fault with what you've given them to read. If you're having to think a bit as to whether you should include something, then chances are you shouldn't.

ahhhh ok. Cheers. :)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 16 2009, 8:36 PM BST

Oh, ok.
Why's that then?

The point is that a pro script doesn't have it on it. Like a copyright symbol and title on every page etc. It shouts out amateur which isn't the first impression you want to give. If you think about it the estimated timing should be pretty obvious depending on what you are submitting. If it is a film script for example and correctly formatted the guide is a page per minute. If I read an e-mailed script the first thing I do is check the word count so I know how long, roughly, it is. If it is a sitcom script for the BBC then it should be roughly 30 mins etc etc.

The prod co doesn't care at this stage if you have taken time to time it because you haven't timed because no actors have acted it - you are kind of guessing and the chances are they will be able to guess better - cos they know this kind of thing. And it's not a production script at that stage it's just a first draft.

Keep things simple is the best advice. Have a look at some pro scripts and copy them like I said. Creativity in presentation isn't where it is best placed here.

And always have a good title.

:)