British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Trials Autumn '09 Page 6

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 13 2009, 11:57 AM BST

I'm waiting on this too.

Bit confused about this option stuff.
Does it mean they'll pay us an option fee to secure it for themselves to shop around?

As soon as there is some clarification, you lot will be the first to know. I promise.

And there is no "audience nonsense". As with last season, the scripts that progress through the competition will be decided by industry judges.

Not that I suggest you should actually do this, what would be interesting is if the show put an established famous sitcom in amongst the entries (but with the names and locations changed so people don't twig it wasn't written by a new writer) and then see how well that does in the audience vote.

Quote: chipolata @ July 13 2009, 11:11 AM BST

Somebody else annoying you? That's my f**king job! Angry

Join the queue. :)

Quote: Mark @ July 13 2009, 3:20 PM BST

Not that I suggest you should actually do this, what would be interesting is if the show put an established famous sitcom in amongst the entries (but with the names and locations changed so people don't twig it wasn't written by a new writer) and then see how well that does in the audience vote.

I think they might twig when my character Dan falls through the bar...

Actually I was just going to set Taming of the Shrew on a Victorian oil rig and see how it went.

Quote: Mark @ July 13 2009, 3:20 PM BST

Back in the 90's the short lived "Comedy Magazine" once tried sending a Friends script with the details changed to all the companies that would accept unsolicited submissions. As far as I remember all but one of them (out of nine or ten, I think) picked up on it and responded accordingly (i.e. "Try sending original material next time"), which was gratifying to see.

Quote: J'Parker @ July 13 2009, 4:15 PM BST

Back in the 90's the short lived "Comedy Magazine" once tried sending a Friends script with the details changed to all the companies that would accept unsolicited submissions. As far as I remember all but one of them (out of nine or ten, I think) picked up on it and responded accordingly (i.e. "Try sending original material next time"), which was gratifying to see.

So that's how Coupling was born! (Except it's funnier)

What it means is that if some of the industry people there see your sitcom and want to develop it, say the BBC for example, you are not allowed to develop it with them without first asking the Theatre and the producers of the Trials if they wish to be involved in the process as co-producers or just taking a percentage of what you earn from the sitcom in the future, like an agent would. I'm not sure if they are offering money for this or it's just a condition for having your work staged and showcased by them - this is the kind of clarification I was hoping for.

Ah, I see. :)

And apologies for the "audience nonsense" comment which was intended with tongue firmly in cheek. :)

Borders in Oxford St is selling off all its stock cheaply (1/2 price when I went in last night) so if there are any books you want to grab I suggest you get down there as soon as possible.

I overheard one assistant say that prices would go on being reduced ('up to 75%') but don't quote me.

It took me at least half an hour to queue to pay, so leave plenty of time.

Waitrose are doing a two for one offer on organic youghurt.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 15 2009, 5:03 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Do you think I'd be interested in Yoghurt? Organic or otherwise?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 15 2009, 5:03 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Did any footage of last year get put up? Basically, I want to know how visual the whole thing is. Is it just some actors reading off a script or are there basic sets like a table and chair etc. I've seen the old TV footage, is it the same as that?

I give up.

Oh, well, more half-price Peep Show scripts for me, then.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ July 15 2009, 5:58 PM BST

or are there basic sets like a table and chair etc.

Yes.

Finish diswasher tabs are half price in Sainsbury's. I'm not sure about Finnish dishwasher tabs though....

Quote: simon wright @ July 15 2009, 7:56 PM BST

I give up.

Oh, well, more half-price Peep Show scripts for me, then.

I've already got them. :)

Quote: ContainsNuts @ July 15 2009, 5:58 PM BST

Did any footage of last year get put up? Basically, I want to know how visual the whole thing is. Is it just some actors reading off a script or are there basic sets like a table and chair etc. I've seen the old TV footage, is it the same as that?

No - they're acted out - scripts learned etc. Also basic props such as tables, chairs, clothes rail in charity shop etc.

My sitcom is set under the stage. Is that viable?