British Comedy Guide

Best British TV Dramas...? Page 11

Quote: Marc P @ July 14 2009, 12:55 PM BST

I have certainly got more comedy into Doctors than I have in any other (non sketch) show that I have written for.

Today's was f**king hilarious. Errr

Quote: Marc P @ July 14 2009, 1:01 PM BST

Having said that tommorow's ep of mine is not a laugh a minute cheery one but life affirming. Which is nice.

:)

Ah.

Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "life affirming", but still: Ah.

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 4:28 PM BST

Ah.

Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "life affirming", but still: Ah.

LOL

Well that life can be bad sometimes, but it can be better if we are nice to each other.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 14 2009, 1:18 PM BST

why do I find sitcoms set in Liverpool (OK, let's be honest, Carla Lane sitcoms) so desperately unfunny?

Because of the ear-wrenching accents, I'll guess.

But on Carla Lane, some of the funniest episodes of Bless This House were those that she (and often Myra Taylor) penned. Certainly no noticeable change in quality from the others. I think she's a good writer, but an awful creator; her own shows set the bar that low right from the outset.

Nice Work was great, starring Warren Clarke. As was Life and loves of a She-Devil. Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but it should be...

The sad thing is how few of the shows mentioned have been recent ones.

I misssssssssssssssssed it. :(

Quote: zooo @ July 15 2009, 4:37 PM BST

:(

If you'd watched it you'd have that exact same face. It was a downer.

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 4:28 PM BST

I didn't see it either. Been to the hospital and the cinema.

Quote: chipolata @ July 15 2009, 4:35 PM BST

Nice Work was great, starring Warren Clarke. As was Life and loves of a She-Devil. Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but it should be...

The sad thing is how few of the shows mentioned have been recent ones.

That's the old nostalgia factor.

Aw.
Was there a cat again in this one?

Quote: Marc P @ July 15 2009, 4:30 PM BST

LOL

Well that life can be bad sometimes, but it can be better if we are nice to each other.

*hands Marc a daisy and skips off*

Anyway. Some of these are more comedy or comedy-drama than drama, but:
Jonathan Creek
Hotel Babylon
Monarch Of The Glen
Crime Traveller
Brass (spoof/sitcom too)
Lark Rise To Candleford

I also picked up a box set for (less than) a fiver on the recommendation of Vanessa Feltz, called Bouquet Of Barbed Wire. Anyone know/remember it? I've not got around to watching yet, but I believe it's filled with murder, incest, and lots of nudity.

*hears chipolata running out in search of a copy*

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 15 2009, 4:40 PM BST

That's the old nostalgia factor.

I won't deny our tendancy is to look back at things with Rose Tinted Spectacles, but I genuinely think there has been very little quality drama in the last five years. Certainly not much that stands alongside some of the shows discussed in this thread.

Quote: zooo @ July 15 2009, 4:40 PM BST

Aw.
Was there a cat again in this one?

No. But there was a disabled.

That's just not the same thing at all.

A disabled cat? A-Paw-ling

Quote: zooo @ July 15 2009, 4:37 PM BST

I misssssssssssssssssed it. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lpltw/Doctors_Series_11_New_Labour/

Marc, next episode make Julia put in a sly reference to The Cuckoo Waltz. Thanks.

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 4:41 PM BST

I also picked up a box set for (less than) a fiver on the recommendation of Vanessa Feltz, called Bouquet Of Barbed Wire. Anyone know/remember it? I've not got around to watching yet, but I believe it's filled with murder, incest, and lots of nudity.

It was on when I was a kid and was deemed very risque. It's probably very tame by today's standards.

Does anyone remember a drama called 'Revelations' that was on in about 1995? It was late night, ITV fare about a murderous bishop and his dysfunctional family. I would have friends over and we'd drunkenly watch it for a laugh every week.